Do other open carry states 'hint' that concealed carry might be better?

indyyy

This was discussed a little in another thread, but I'd like to see a little more input on it. Indiana is an open carry state, but in the states website in the Q&A section on guns this is said about open vs concealed carry:

Does Indiana law require me to carry my handgun on my person in a concealed or exposed manner?

Indiana law is silent on this issue; however, carrying an exposed firearm in public may be alarming to some people and create unnecessary and unwanted attention to yourself. Your right to carry a firearm may also be restricted on private property, various sporting venues, and some businesses by the owners.

The part I'm asking about is 'Indiana law is silent on this issue, however, carrying an exposed firearm in public may be alarming to some people and create unwanted attention to yourself'

To me, this seems a roundabout way of suggesting I conceal, even tho I can openly carry. Do other open carry states have similar answers in their state Q&A websites or elsewhere, or is Indiana unique in this ?

OR and WA are open carry states, can't find an opinion section, just the law.

So far Indiana is unique.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

I live in Pa.. a license to carry State... meaning anything goes... open or conceal.... I've been a licenses to carry civilian since 1977 and understand the culture. This is how I look at open carry..
when open carry makes you an object of attention, then its a bad idea... I do not carry open even though I can... occasionally, I see a guy with open carry.. and everyone is looking at him.. and not in a positive way... the worst thing is, his right to carry open, is trumped by him being the first target in a planed attack, anywhere where he is carrying.. Now if everyone carried, then he would not stand out. And also if everyone carried, there would be some incentive not to be a bad guy... I hope you are following this.,. When I go hunting upstate where everyone carries openly, I also carry openly.. because I am part of the ordinary local population... The idea behind conceal carry is two fold...it doesn't draw attention to you... cops do not have to react ( On guard ), off duty cops don't have to react, and most importantly, untrained civilian legal weapons carriers do not put you on their radar ( wondering what your intentions are ). IN areas where open carry is not common, people are offended, scared, undue pressure put on their anti gun position...etc. while every licensee person has the right.. its not in their best interest to expose their weapon in an area where it is not common.
That's how I see it.

I live in Pa.. a license to carry State... meaning anything goes... open or conceal.... I've been a licenses to carry civilian since 1977 and understand the culture. This is how I look at open carry..
when open carry makes you an object of attention, then its a bad idea... I do not carry open even though I can... occasionally, I see a guy with open carry.. and everyone is looking at him.. and not in a positive way... the worst thing is, his right to carry open, is trumped by him being the first target in a planed attack, anywhere where he is carrying.. Now if everyone carried, then he would not stand out. And also if everyone carried, there would be some incentive not to be a bad guy... I hope you are following this.,. When I go hunting upstate where everyone carries openly, I also carry openly.. because I am part of the ordinary local population... The idea behind conceal carry is two fold...it doesn't draw attention to you... cops do not have to react ( On guard ), off duty cops don't have to react, and most importantly, untrained civilian legal weapons carriers do not put you on their radar ( wondering what your intentions are ). IN areas where open carry is not common, people are offended, scared, undue pressure put on their anti gun position...etc. while every licensee person has the right.. its not in their best interest to expose their weapon in an area where it is not common.
That's how I see it.

Yeah, but you're umm.........blind. LOL

That's how I see it.

Aaaaaaand here comes the pissing contest

Thank goodness that is only the way you see it.... Completely different than reality.
A person can only see things one way.... your reality must be different than my reality.... in areas where open carry is not common everyone looks upon it as a threat... that's the reality where I live.... in areas of my state where open carry is common, it isn't given a second thought.... seems simple to me No need for the comment.. my post was too the OP not to a tactless ( puff your chest I'm a tough guy behind my monitor ) boys club member
Your post at me did nothing to enhance this forum or this thread .. only to prove the mentality found here.

That's how I see it.

It's the mindset that one isn't getting attention because they're concealing that will bite them in the bud someday. Just like the "it will never happen to me" mindset.

Link Removed

They beg to differ about it being "scary and offended."

Your post at Eidolon did nothing to enhance this forum or this thread .. only to prove the mentality found here.
People in this forum have asked me where the " boys cub " review comment from this forum came from... IM just pointing out that the hundreds of reviewers of this forum in the website called Gun forum review were correct in giving this forum a thumbs down and only one star calling it a boys club... the hostility toward me in the two weeks I have been here is typical of a boys club forum.. just pointing out that I didn't start any of the hostility, just point to it as I did with many of your post, just like this one of yours.. just a smart assed post to my pointing out where the poor review came from in the first place.. I came here to have fun and share my experiences... not to swat the flies of the people who do this forum a dis service.. no wonder there are only a couple dozen regulars here.. and most are chest pounders. school yard mentality... ( boys club ) the new people who come here are always nice until they get chased away but the school yard regular bullies who hang out here...there are some very nice people here who have PM'd me about the tough guys here, " the legends in their own mind ". .. I don't need to posture like a school boy.. but its easy to see who is who. The boys who have no respect for older people.

when open carry makes you an object of attention, then its a bad idea...

I live in Washington state, near Seattle, and I open carry every day. When open carry has made me the object of attention, 90% of that attention has been positive or educational. People either expressing support for carrying the gun, or genuinely asking questions and walking away more educated. How is that bad?

the worst thing is, his right to carry open, is trumped by him being the first target in a planed attack, anywhere where he is carrying..

100% pure myth.

Link Removed

Just the opposite, open carry deterred a planned attack.

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/173772.pdf

On pages 7 and 29-31 you will find evidence that armed individuals deter robbery of convenience stores.

Link Removed

On page 4 of this report you will see that a common tactic of convenience store robbers was to enter the store and browse up and down the aisles until all the customers left. In 85% of the robberies, no customers were present.

IN areas where open carry is not common, people are offended, scared, undue pressure put on their anti gun position...etc.

Open carry is far from common in Washington. Yet if people here are offended, scared, and undue pressure put on their anti-gun position, it isn't to any extent that it is noticeable. By far the most people I have encountered who have stated they were offended by my gun have been concealed carry only snobs that could not resist telling me they carry their guns concealed and so should I.

while every licensee person has the right.. its not in their best interest to expose their weapon in an area where it is not common.

Open carry is not common where I live, yet historically over almost a decade of open carrying where I live it has proven to be in my best interest to open carry vice conceal.

To answer the OP's question, there is no state sponsored anti-open carry propaganda in Washington.

People in this forum have asked me where the " boys cub " review comment from this forum came from... IM just pointing out that the hundreds of reviewers of this forum in the website called Gun forum review were correct in giving this forum a thumbs down and only one star calling it a boys club...

www.gunforumreview.com did not exist when I typed it in...anybody else?

Link Removed thinks usa carry is doing fine.

the hostility toward me in the two weeks I have been here is typical of a boys club forum.. just pointing out that I didn't start any of the hostility,

Link Removed

...there are some very nice people here who have PM'd me about the tough guys here, " the legends in their own mind "...

More bull.

The boys who have no respect for older people.

Do you not realize you started the hostility towards me, and those that have called out your hostility have been older members here? BC1 was right about you.

There is less and less I'm able to believe from ET every time he posts...dos anybody remember Tricolor? Possibly cluznar?

So far ET has given two names for the website where he found the reviews, "forum review.com" and "gun forum review.com." Here's what you get if you type either name into your address bar:

forumreviewcom.jpg

gunforumreview.jpg

In searching for a gun forum reviews website, the only one I saw in the results was one called "Link Removed." There's a link to "See All Reviews" for USA Carry, but when I click on it, I see no reviews, just an unintelligible table of stats that I couldn't make heads nor tails of. It says in the heading that there have been 9 reviews submitted, and the average of those 9 is a 3-Star rating (no thumbs-up or thumbs-down ratings), but the text of those reviews isn't visible to me. It could have something to do with the way I have my browser rigged. I have an anti-tracking/anti-cookies/anti-advertising add-on that sometimes hides text or FaceBook-types of formatted text, but since there's no thumbs ratings anyway, it couldn't be the site that ET is referring to so I didn't turn off my blocker just to see the 9 posts that are there somewhere.

Surely someone who knows how to post pictures likewise knows how to copy and paste a link to cited material. How about a link to the reviews, ET?

Blues

in areas where open carry is not common everyone looks upon it as a threat...

Subjective opinion as well as pure speculation, the only way you could know that is if you went ot everyplace where open carry isn’t common and interviewed everyone there to see if they viewed it as a threat.

Your post at me did nothing to enhance this forum or this thread .. only to prove the mentality found here.

If you don't like the mentality why are you here?

PS FWIW since I transisitioned from PMC to ROF I never open carry.

E.T. actually echoed some of the thoughts I posted in one of the other threads.

In rural areas of Indiana during hunting season and on farms one is likely to think very little about someone carrying a rifle because they're used to kill deer or varmints. But in a city like Indianapolis, it's rare to see open carry of any kind... and of course in cities guns are used to kill people more than varmints.

I don't know if most people would be scared to see a non uniformed person carrying a gun - that would differ from person to person. Before I started carrying I would have thought the person was a detective, a plain clothes cop, or some kind of government official. I think most people who don't carry believe you have to have a job that requires carrying in order to carry - that may have been more so before 9/11 in some states. If a person were carrying in his / her hand as opposed to in a holster, I would be more scared.

I find it interesting that Indiana's website has that statement that open carrying might draw unwanted attention. I may have to look into it a bit more to see if I can find why it's there.

I find it interesting that Indiana's website has that statement that open carrying might draw unwanted attention. I may have to look into it a bit more to see if I can find why it's there.

It's there because government wants servants and not citizens. The visibly armed person looks too much like a citizen who is exercising their rights and this will alarm those people who preach, "Just trust the government, they will take care of you!" Just like the last sentence in the same paragraph:

Link Removed

If approached by a law enforcement officer for official business purposes, it is recommended that you tell the officer in a non-threatening manner that you are in possession of a firearm and that you have a permit.

Just submit...that's all the government wants.

Open carry in Indiana is predicated on the fact that you have to have a concealed license to do so, it seems the state is concerned about regular law abiding citizens having the constitutional right of bearing arms. I live in Ohio and travel through Indiana regularly to visit my brother and father in the West suburbs of Chicago. I open carry on those trips and have not had any meaningful negative contact from the public since I started. To the contrary, I have had people thank me for exercising my rights and questioned me about what is needed to open carry.
~
I find that open carriers seem to be more comfortable carrying period, I know I do. When I am concealed I am always concerned about flashing and what will people think if they see a glimpse of my weapon, do they think I trying to hide something or get away with something. Carrying open for all to see is more comfortable to me and honest to those around me.
~
I went to Link Removed and found USA Carry listed third by the site with 3 stars out of 5 stars possible this out of only 9 reviews and could not bring up those reviews to read. It seems that this site: Firearms Discussion Forums - Gun Forums is the only one that actually shows any of the comments that have been submitted and just a mere fraction of the total all just great ones too. It is hard to say just how open minded they may be, after all it is the internet.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back