Differences Between P226 and P229

Rht4162

ok guys and gals i think i finally decided on my first handgun for carry range and home defense. i am looking at the sig p229 elite. i have heard amazing things about the p226 but what are the main differences between the two? also what do you guys think of the 226 elite against the other variations.

i personally enjoy the DA/SA trigger and will be going for the .40 sw that is the caliber i am set on.

thoughts?

The 229 comes in 9mm, 40 and 357 Sig. the main difference is the 229 is much more compact. 3.9 in. barrel compared to 4.4in Both great guns but if I were looking for one to carry I would go with the 229. You can compare the two on the following site.

Link Removed

I have the P229R Equinox with both the .40 S&W and .357 Sig barrels. It's my favorite handgun and the one that I carry 90% of the time. It's very accurate, not hard to conceal and comfortable to wear.

P229
Item Number E29R-9B (9mm) E29R-40B (.40S&W) E29R-357-BSS (.357SIG)
Caliber 9mm or .40S&W, .357SIG
Action Type DA/SA
Trigger Pull DA 10.0 lbs
Trigger Pull SA 4.4 lbs
Overall Length 7.1 in
Overall Height 5.4 in
Overall Width 1.5 in
Barrel Length 3.9 in
Sight Radius 5.7 in
Weight w/Mag 32.0 oz
Mag Capacity 10 or 13 Rounds (9mm), 10 or 12 Rounds (.40S&W, .357SIG)
Sights Contrast, SIGLITE® Night Sights available
Grips Black Polymer Factory Grips
Frame Finish Black Hard Anodized
Slide Finish Nitron®
Accessory Rail Yes
Options Accessory rail
MSRP $929, $1000 w/ Night Sights
CA Compliant Yes
MA Compliant Yes

P226 Elite
Item Number E26R-9-BSE, E26R-40-BSE, E26R-357-BSE
Caliber 9mm, .357 SIG, .40 S&W
Action Type DA/SA
Trigger Pull DA 10.0 lbs
Trigger Pull SA 4.4 lbs
Overall Length 8.2 in
Overall Height 5.5 in
Overall Width 1.6 in
Barrel Length 4.4 in
Sight Radius 6.3 in
Weight w/Mag 34.0 oz
Mag Capacity 9mm 10 or 15 Rounds, .357 SIG 10 or 12 Rounds, .40 S&W 10 or 12 Rounds
Sights SIGLITE® Night Sights
Grips Custom Rosewood Grips
Frame Finish Black Hard Anodized
Slide Finish Nitron®
Accessory Rail Yes
Options SRT™ - Short Reset Trigger
MSRP $1,143.00
CA Compliant No
MA Compliant No

The 229 comes in 9mm, 40 and 357 Sig. the main difference is the 229 is much more compact. 3.9 in. barrel compared to 4.4in Both great guns but if I were looking for one to carry I would go with the 229. You can compare the two on the following site.

Link Removed

Thanks! That's why I prefaced my comments with "I'm no expert"

I have a 226. I'm very satisfied with it. It's not ideal for concealment, due to its size, but it's not impossible to conceal either. A 229, I believe, is a slightly smaller version of a 226. I've been looking at getting a 229 myself.

I have a 226 in 40 cal. Unless you're really fat, it's nearly impossible to conceal. I use it for home defense and taking to the range. For concealed carry, I use a P239 9mm in the wintertime and a Kel-Tec PF-9 for the summer when I can't wear a jacket. I suppose I could carry the 226 in the winter time but it's so damn heavy and big. The P239 is way more comfortable.

Last edited:
I love my P229 .40 S&W. It's a great gun: tough as nails, dependable, not too big but when loaded up with hydra-shock (12+1) it's plenty of firearm. It's also pretty accurate for a relatively short barrel too, which I enjoy immensely. It also just "feels" really great in my hand.

It's generally my primary carry gun.

Of course, the biggest reason I got this one was because I used to carry the same make/model (minus the rails) as a patrol officer, so I'm biased in that regard as I'm a huge Sig Sauer supporter.

I love SIGs, one of the first pistols I ever tried was a P-228 in 9mm. Very accurate out of the box. If you're looking for something that's more concealable I would opt for the P-228 over the P-226. If you want something even more concealable, I would opt for a P-239.

The P226 is slightly longer on both the barrel and the handle. The P229 is a little bit "top heavy" whereas the 226 is better balanced imo. The P226 works with my hands a lot better than the p229, hence, I picked up the 226. That said, I probably would have gone with the 229 if it worked better with my hands.

I have p229 and love it, i've held the 226 and it's just way to big. i say go with the p229, or with the p-239 single stack gun.

I have both. I have concealed carry both. The P229 is a bit more easy to conceal. I am overweight but not like that guy that was arrested and had that pistol hidden in his fat rolls.

Safety Message that Sig Sauer missed.
I recently received my .357 Sig barrel (after waiting 3 months), and suddenly realized that I could easily load .40S&W bullets into the magazine and FORGOT TO CHANGE THE BARREL BACK TO .40 cal. I re-read the Sig owners manual and although they warn the user several times about using the proper ammo, the interchangeability that I now have bears special precautions.
From now on, I install the pistol (barrel) for whatever round I want to take to the range, and load up the magazines (I have four) with the matching ammo. I do this ALONE, at home. AND . . . I leave the OTHER ammo (and the other barrel) at home. It's easy to get distracted at the range and it's just not worth the risk making the wrong change and using the wrong round for the barrel.
I think this needs a special warning to anyone buying a second barrel for ANY pistol . . . Sig, Glock, Thompson-Center, etc.

ok guys and gals i think i finally decided on my first handgun for carry range and home defense. i am looking at the sig p229 elite. i have heard amazing things about the p226 but what are the main differences between the two? also what do you guys think of the 226 elite against the other variations.

i personally enjoy the DA/SA trigger and will be going for the .40 sw that is the caliber i am set on.

thoughts?

The 229 is smaller and more suited to concealed carry. I carried a 226 as a service weapon when I worked armed in Virginia. Both good guns, although if it was my choice, I'd probably go with the 9mm. Also, would consider the Walther PPQ M2, unless you're dead set against an SAO striker fired gun. If you go with the Sig, look at the SAS versions, as they are all smoothed and radiused to prevent snagging for drawing from concealment, and for an EDC that's what you'll want.

Why Many Agencies are Switching to the 9mm - USA Carry

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back