Concealed Carry Under Attack in Pennsylvania!

utimmer43

Please Contact the Members of the House Judiciary Committee Immediately!

On Tuesday, June 8, the House Judiciary Committee will consider legislation restricting the recognition of reciprocity agreements for “concealed carry” license holders in Pennsylvania.

House Bill 2536, introduced by State Representative Brian Lentz (D-161), would prohibit a resident of the Commonwealth from carrying a concealed firearm with a license issued from another state.

This legislation is the first step in an outright attack on your concealed carry rights in Pennsylvania. HB2536 poses a very real and serious threat to our rights so it is imperative that you make your voice heard.

Please contact the members of the House Judiciary Committee IMMEDIATELY and respectfully urge them to oppose HB2536. Contact information for the committee can be found by clicking Link Removed.

Link Removed

Last edited by a moderator:
Link Removed

Monday, June 07, 2010

Please Contact the Members of the House Judiciary Committee Immediately!

On Tuesday, June 8, the House Judiciary Committee will consider legislation restricting the recognition of reciprocity agreements for “concealed carry” license holders in Pennsylvania.

House Bill 2536, introduced by State Representative Brian Lentz (D-161), would prohibit a resident of the Commonwealth from carrying a concealed firearm with a license issued from another state.

This legislation is the first step in an outright attack on your concealed carry rights in Pennsylvania. HB2536 poses a very real and serious threat to our rights so it is imperative that you make your voice heard.

Please contact the members of the House Judiciary Committee IMMEDIATELY and respectfully urge them to oppose HB2536. Contact information for the committee can be found by clicking Link Removed.

I think I see the issue there in red...

Looks like I'll be sending more emails tomorrow. Spent lunch today sending emails to all MA reps and senators about House bill 4102 here in MA... I think the liberal left fears NO_vember and thinks "better screw things up now"..

I sent him a message and asked him to answer my question. I'll post any reply I get.

Peace...

I think I see the issue there in red...
This stems from the nonsense going on in Philly. (Lentz is from Delaware county, just outside of Philly.) Basically, the Philly PD is abusive in their practices regarding carry permits. Most of it goes against PA's Uniform Firearms Code, but they could care less. So, many Philly residents are forced to acquire a Fl, VA, or UT permit. I'm not sure why they are targeting FL and not VA or UT, other than the fact that the issuing agency in FL is their dept. of agriculture. None-the-less, I would like to see statistics on the crime rate of these FL permit holders compared to PA permit holders. I'd imagine they are fairly consistent. BTW, PA law requires NO training for a permit. $25, a BG check, and your I.D., and you have a permit in about a week. And they're criticizing FL?!

Philadelphia Daily News Smears Florida/PA Reciprocity - PAFOA Blog

Last edited:
utimmer43 - Thanks for your post as now I understand the problem. At first I thought it was crazy as the PA permit is the one that at lease SC residents are getting now that NH has raised their prices. I see the problem is that in states where the issuing of permints is a local deal rather controlled by the state it can be a problem for certain area residents. In SC the State (SLED) issues all permits on a shall issue basis but they do have to notify the local Sheriff for him to sign off on it (most let it default after 7 days). This does add some delay in getting a permit but all parts of the state are treated equally unfair and makes it hard for one Sheriff to build his little empire.

I found out about this too late to call my Rep. Anyone know how the vote went in the Judiciary committee?

PA is not going to be issuing permits by mail starting in 2011.Utah & Florida is a popular choice .That is sad that PA is going to be like NY that only isues to residents only.

PA is not going to be issuing permits by mail starting in 2011.Utah & Florida is a popular choice .That is sad that PA is going to be like NY that only isues to residents only.

Yes .... No

Link Removed

to the OP...the vote on June 8 was tabled...as the committee has some "issues with the wording". Good news, right? Almost. It was added to the calendar again for a vote on June 15! :angry:

ETA : See another thread about this bill here

Yes .... No

Link Removed

to the OP...the vote on June 8 was tabled...as the committee has some "issues with the wording". Good news, right? Almost. It was added to the calendar again for a vote on June 15! :angry:

It looks like it may head that way.I do see PA getting harder with residents obtaining a LTC in the near future.Centre County was very simple for an out of state resident who needed a permit.The Centre county permit is just a plain piece of paper with no photo.BTW Centre county doesn't check to verify the character refrences.I know that may be a cause for concern as to why people were getting a permit with in a matter of days of applying.The Sheriff of Pike county was the head of making the new change.He wanted to improve the system by stopping mail in applicaions .He want's a non resident to produce a valid home I.D.with permit in person and return to PA when the permit is ready and sign it.I still go in person every 5 years to Milford PA the girls in the office are very nice.

Where did you get all this from?
From the news, they interviewed Danny Nau of Centre county.He said that he is sorry to see that system go because it created revenue.It was no surprise to see that happening because it was already voted in back in 2005 for the state to go to a more secure backround check which eliminates the mail in license.You must apply in person and provide a valid I.D. with a cocealed permit from your home state.You have to return in person to sign and a photo is taken.A Democrat by the name of Lentz is spear heading a stop to out of state permits like Florida & Utah.

PA is not going to be issuing permits by mail starting in 2011.Utah & Florida is a popular choice .That is sad that PA is going to be like NY that only issues to residents only.

From the news, they interviewed Danny Nau of Centre county.He said that he is sorry to see that system go because it created revenue.It was no surprise to see that happening because it was already voted in back in 2005 for the state to go to a more secure backround check which eliminates the mail in license.You must apply in person and provide a valid I.D. with a concealed permit from your home state.You have to return in person to sign and a photo is taken.
None-the-less, PA will still issue to non-residents. It just cannot be done through the mail.
A Democrat by the name of Lentz is spear heading a stop to out of state permits like Florida & Utah.
Yes, which is the topic of this entire thread.
I do see PA getting harder with residents obtaining a LTC in the near future.
Why?

None-the-less, PA will still issue to non-residents. It just cannot be done through the mail. Yes, which is the topic of this entire thread.Why?
You live in a small hick town it is very easy to obtain a PA LTC WHY? because you don't live in a big city with liberal anti-gun people running the show.From being a gun friendly state to a restrictive state.What happened with that soccer mom who was trying to get attention on national TV with carrying a G26 in public view.The Sheriff took her permit away until she got it back because she hired a good lawyer.It became a debacle because she was shot dead in her own home by her husband.Her Glock was not on her she wasn't properly trained that is now causing the state to look at placing more restrictive measures.Philly residents obtain a Utah non resident because it doesn't require a handgun permit.The thread deals with PA now Sir you got donkeypunched thats why!

You live in a small hick town it is very easy to obtain a PA LTC WHY? because you don't live in a big city with liberal anti-gun people running the show.From being a gun friendly state to a restrictive state.What happened with that soccer mom who was trying to get attention on national TV with carrying a G26 in public view.The Sheriff took her permit away until she got it back because she hired a good lawyer.It became a debacle because she was shot dead in her own home by her husband.Her Glock was not on her she wasn't properly trained that is now causing the state to look at placing more restrictive measures.Philly residents obtain a Utah non resident because it doesn't require a handgun permit.The thread deals with PA now Sir you got donkeypunched thats why!

She got her LTCF back because the sheriff had no legitimate reason to revoke it.

I live in a Philly suburb and dont have any problems getting my LTCF...certainly not a small hick town.

Philly residents obtain FL/UT licenses because Philly PD revokes and denies for reasons that are not legitimate reasons.

Yes .... No

Link Removed

North Dakota did the same thing last year, with having to apply and test in person. I tried to get one before then, but all of their certified "trainers" either did not return my call or denied me because I am not law enforcement.

Just a prediction, but in a worse case scenario, the bill should get voted down in the Senate, given that there is still a republican majority there. They were the ones that the Dems liked to blame for not passing the Governors "big spender" budget the past few years.

She got her LTCF back because the sheriff had no legitimate reason to revoke it.

I live in a Philly suburb and dont have any problems getting my LTCF...certainly not a small hick town.

Philly residents obtain FL/UT licenses because Philly PD revokes and denies for reasons that are not legitimate reasons.
PA is a shall issue state unless you live in Philly.

PA is a shall issue state unless you live in Philly.
A few things you should know if you wish to produce relevant, constructive dialogue...
  1. Small "hick town" or big city, it matters not because PA has a preemption clause, meaning localities may not impose their own criteria for licensing (among other things). It may be true that in practice Philadelphia goes their own way, but they do so in violation of state law.
  2. "That soccer mom" (She has a name, it's Meleanie Hain) OCing in a public park, and the way in which she died have nothing to do with the topic of this thread.
  3. (As noted by mrjam) Philly residents get UT or FL permits because the Philly PD disregards state law.
  4. The topic of this thread is specifically HB2536. It is not, however, about non-residents obtaining PA permits. They are two separate issues.
  5. Donkey punched? That's cute, and so intellectual. Do us all a favor. If you have relevant content to add, such as any new developments on HB2536 (which may be as soon as tomorrow), then by all means post it. Otherwise do us the favor of not cluttering up yet another thread with irrelevant and immature drivel.

A few things you should know if you wish to produce relevant, constructive dialogue...
  1. Small "hick town" or big city, it matters not because PA has a preemption clause, meaning localities may not impose their own criteria for licensing (among other things). It may be true that in practice Philadelphia goes their own way, but they do so in violation of state law.
  2. "That soccer mom" (She has a name, it's Meleanie Hain) OCing in a public park, and the way in which she died have nothing to do with the topic of this thread.
  3. (As noted by mrjam) Philly residents get UT or FL permits because the Philly PD disregards state law.
  4. The topic of this thread is specifically HB2536. It is not, however, about non-residents obtaining PA permits. They are two separate issues.
  5. Donkey punched? That's cute, and so intellectual. Do us all a favor. If you have relevant content to add, such as any new developments on HB2536 (which may be as soon as tomorrow), then by all means post it. Otherwise do us the favor of not cluttering up yet another thread with irrelevant and immature drivel.
Nothing irrelevant or immature....I'm just pointing out the fact that PA is indeed headed in a direction which is similar to practice with other states by not issuing permits when the law allows it.As you clearly stated this is about HB2536 nothing else matters.What should be said is that all resident and non resident PA LTC holders should be aware of the new changes.It all matters from the soccer mom to the knucklehead who had his PA LTC revolked and was still able to carry a gun with his Florida CCW.

Has HB2536 in fact passed? It was my understanding that it was still in committee and rescheduled for June 15 (by a post on here not on the PA website).

And what of the supreme court's recent decision that the state's shall not infringe on the individual right of people to keep and to bear arms that recently passed?

Where do we stand right now?

Has HB2536 in fact passed? It was my understanding that it was still in committee and rescheduled for June 15 (by a post on here not on the PA website).

And what of the supreme court's recent decision that the state's shall not infringe on the individual right of people to keep and to bear arms that recently passed?

Where do we stand right now?

TGG it looks like it is still in committee.... The Pennsylvania General Assembly

If we all pool our resources and take the time to email, fax, write, visit (without the gun), etc., perhaps we can kill this thing in committee before it hits the floor. DO NOT wait for the other guy to do something. This requires a concerted effort. Why? Because it is the thin end of the wedge as they say. If we allow this nonsense to go through we open the door a little wider for all of the other nonsense to get through.

And what of the recent SCOTUS decision removing the power of the states to modify the 2nd and 14th. amendments that was recently passed through SCOTUS?

FEDERAL law already sets prohibitors that eliminate the right of felons, whackos, druggies and such from owning or possessing firearms legally and set rules for the purchase of firearms. All we need now is a 'universal reciprocity law' at the federal level, as the universal reciprocity of drivers licenses and all of the confusion dissipates, no?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back