concealed carry 45

Carry .45

XD .45 Compact. 5'10" 175 lbs. Conceals easily in a crossbreed supertuck, cant beat the price, and operation is flawless. Over 2,000 rounds without a hiccup.

Kahr tp45 the only 45 close to the feel of a 1911, slightly slimmer and accuracy on par with my 1911 out to 15 yards, 7 shots(freestanding both eyes open fast as I can get a sight pic.) one ragged hole the size of a quarter. what else do you need from a 19 oz. carry gun boasting a mere 4" barrel. and contrary th the PM45's and P45 reps the TP has had not one malfunction in almost 1k rounds since purchase even during break in.

My .45 ACP choices

A little late in this thread.

Here's what I currently have;
  • EAA Witness Steel Compact
  • Para-Ord P-12.45
  • S&W 4516-1
  • S&W CS45
Others I would consider and are on my to add to my collection list;

• Para-Ord P-10.45/Warthog
  • Para-Ord P-13.45 or equivalent Commander model.
  • S&W 457
  • Springfield Armory 1911A1 (Officers 3 to 3.5" barrel or Commanders Model 4" barrel)
  • Springfield Armory XD Compact
  • Taurus 945B

For 1911 pistols, I will only own Para-Ord or Springfield Armory. I do not like Glocks and Glock clones like the S&W M&P, Sigma and 99 with the exception of the SA XD. I prefer steel framed .45s, if possible, although that is getting more difficult to find new.

Kimber Ultra carryII 45 Is about as good as it gets. They are not that bad in price if you shop for FFL dealers that don't work out of a store front. You would be able to depend your life on it going bang. Glocks and XD's are good too. Good holster is a must with any firearm.

Last edited:
Seems to be the correct thread for this .....

I am looking for a double action only 45 1911 style pistol. I pawed a P.O. carry 9 today but the problem is .... its a 9mm and I want a 45. Other then the Para, any of the others offer a double action pistol? Suggestions, comments,

and yes, I know it wont be cheap. I have already decided its going to cost me about a grand or so.

Thanks
:butcher:

Take a look at SigSauer the 220 line is mostly .45 I believe they have others. I do have a 220 carry elite with the decocker it starts out DA then to SA. They have DA only. You name it Sig has it. They are awesome shooters. I have hard time in winter not to carry my Sig BUT I love my Kimber Ultra CarryII. It always with me.

I use the PT-145 and it is one of the best for concealment that I've ever seen. Great fire power in a fairley small package!!:triniti:

i'm thinking of getting a glock 30 for my CCW (when i get my permit :sad:)... i have a kimber pro tle/rl II right now but the weight of the gun is too much for me to comfortably carry concealed... i'm not a big guy, 6'2" 150,... tall and lanky, and i know the lighter weight of the glock will help tons... plus it carries 2 more life stoppers than the kimber...

I'm had been a Glock guy myself, but while looking for the 21SF I decided to hold the Springfield XD and the Taurus 24/7 OSS DS. The Taurus actually fit my hand the best of all of them, and so I read as much as I could on just the Taurus 24/7 OSS DS and that is what I purchased. Even though it a fullsize .45 ACP it will not be hard to conceal as some think.

Now that I have said that, "What fits your hand the best?" as you will be the one to be carrying what you purchase.

Last edited:
Concealed Carry .45

There have been some changes since I posted my first reply to this thread. I found out the Star company and it's American importer had gone out of business, so if i needed my Firestar fixed, I was SOL. I spent a lot of time checking out all the .45 ACP pistols available. I have to tip my hat to Long Rider, as his reply covered everything I went through, and I arrived at the same conclusion. I now carry a Springfield Armory Compact 4" bbl XD-45. It is black polymer framed with a stainless (?) slide. I like the fact there is no frame-mounted safety to remember to sweep off or to hang up on clothing, and the tactile and visual loaded chamber indicator and striker indicator are sweet. I fill the 13-round magazines with 180 grain JHP (sorry about NJ people) and drop it into a Blachawk Serpa holster that will never cause me to worry about getting it wet. At a gun shop in Olympia, WA, the pistol, an additional magazine, and tax came to a total of just over $550. I hav enever had a pistol that I feel so comfortable with, nor one I feel so confident with.

I've had my Stainless Taurus PT92 9mm for about ten years and can't seem to get rid of it. I think I paid $250 for it. It is accurate and it has never malfunctioned. I'm looking for a smaller, easier to conceal gun now. It's probably going to be a sub-compact 45 in the $500 or less range.

Hows the trigger action an the PT145? If memory serves, it is DAO. I don't mind pulling off the first round in DA mode but then I prefer the light trigger press in SA mode. Is the trigger pull light and short/heavy and long. My PT92 has a long heavy trigger in DA mode. The PT24/7 is DA/SA but a little bigger.

Hows the trigger action an the PT145? If memory serves, it is DAO. I don't mind pulling off the first round in DA mode but then I prefer the light trigger press in SA mode. Is the trigger pull light and short/heavy and long. My PT92 has a long heavy trigger in DA mode. The PT24/7 is DA/SA but a little bigger.

The new models are DA/SA and I love the trigger pull. I don't have any experience with the previous versions but from what everyone else is saying there is a night and day difference in the trigger pull. They state that the new version is MUCH smoother.

AL

I am a long .45acp fan. I own 5 different models and 2 1911's. I must say, the 1911 is my favorite to shoot, but too big for conceal carry. My choice for conceal carry is my beretta 8045. The accuraracy is amazing and after over 8000 rounds....no jams, or problems. It has been since discontinued by Beretta and replaced with their new PX4, which in my mind is a polymer version of the couger. If you havent tried firing a couger and you come accross one, take advantage of the opportunity and pick one up. you will happy. Just my input.....

Stoeger now makes the Cougar. You will hate this it is the exact same gun made with the same equipment from Beretta. Beretta shipped the orginal equipment and tools along with the project managers & supervisors to Turkey to assure it would be the same gun. Beretta owns Stoeger and warranties the Cougar. The difference is that the Stoeger Cougar is about $400 less than the Beretta Cougar selling at $370. That said what you said is correct the Cougar is nothing less than amazingly accurate, and 100% reliable. Very likely the most accurate production gun ever made due to its rotating barrel, which also accounts for its soft recoil that it like a soft push straight back rather than front muzzle flip & kick we are all accustomed to. My wife was going to pick one up as a carry weapon but our holster maker screwed us. Still it is an excellent 9mm. The Storms are the polymer version of it thinner lighter more expensive but the same design & concept as the Cougar. Great thing the Cougar

I have to tip my hat to Long Rider, as his reply covered everything I went through, and I arrived at the same conclusion. I now carry a Springfield Armory Compact 4" bbl XD-45. It is black polymer framed with a stainless (?) slide. I like the fact there is no frame-mounted safety to remember to sweep off or to hang up on clothing, and the tactile and visual loaded chamber indicator and striker indicator are sweet. I fill the 13-round magazines with 180 grain JHP (sorry about NJ people) and drop it into a Blachawk Serpa holster that will never cause me to worry about getting it wet. At a gun shop in Olympia, WA, the pistol, an additional magazine, and tax came to a total of just over $550. I have never had a pistol that I feel so comfortable with, nor one I feel so confident with.
Sorry, I did not see this earlier. Thanks for that atta boy. Did not know you were a local boy. If you get a chance check out East County Guns in Elma Andy is a great guy to work with and good prices. So now that you have had the gun for awhile what do you think? The one thing I did not like was that the sights basically suck which is why I got the TFO's, other than that pushing 6,000 rounds now with out a single FTF, absolutely awesome. Though I have other guns and continue to buy other guns my XD is my EDC the one I trust to do its job when the day comes to protect myself and my family. Nice model you got by the way. Like the steel slide.

BTW off topic but nice sig there " I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can keep THE CHANGE." Good one. Hope & Change, Change & Hope. Chope. Chope for the chumps to choke on

Last edited:
Wow... 12 pages, but worth the time to read them all! I also am looking for a .45, but MA 'acceptable/legal" (what jerks...). Just the MA.-legal element shortens the possibles list a great deal, with the EAA Witness and Stoeger Cougar's the most important (to me) 'victims'. Looks like a used Beretta 8045, a Ruger P345 or Taurus PT145 Pro, and Para-Ord or Kimber Ultra Carry are left on 'short list' status! (No, no Glocks, thank you. ) Great thread, and thanks to all who contributed!!!

I also am looking for a .45, but MA 'acceptable/legal" (what jerks...). !

What makes a gun acceptable to MA? All guns have the capacity to do the same thing. Are they thinking..."You might kill someone with a .45, so we'll only let you carry a 9mm." MA has a ban on high cap maps, right? Could it be that they will outlaw any gun capable of accepting a mag with a capacity of more than 10?

I grew up in MA. I left when I was 18 and never looked back. I feel for you guys.

I carry a taurus24/7 pro every day everywhere, I don't go where I can't carry. I'm in CA so only the 10 round mag. It conceals great. I've used it for some competitions and haven't had a problem.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back