Best weapon for home Self Defense

Any shotgun out there is enough. Once an intruder here the gun rack, that should be enough.
Personally I think the racking of a shotgun is an urban legend. I do not want anyone to know where I am in my locked and secure bedroom. I do not want anyone to know what kind of hell they will go through if they decide to find out what is "behind Door #1". Do you really believe that just hearing the sound is going to make a difference to someone already stealing in your home?

Personally I think the racking of a shotgun is an urban legend. I do not want anyone to know where I am in my locked and secure bedroom. I do not want anyone to know what kind of hell they will go through if they decide to find out what is "behind Door #1". Do you really believe that just hearing the sound is going to make a difference to someone already stealing in your home?

I have had a shotgun racked on me and it scared the hell out of me. I was trespassing and didnt know it.

For guns, I don't think brand matters as much as functional reliability. So some web research, or talk to gunsmiths and vendors about that. As for rounds, I think it depends on your situation. In a little house in the middle of a western ranch, you don't have to worry about the neighbor's kid sleeping on the other side of the wall or hall, so your situation will make a difference and you need to do some research on loads as well. What you anticipate defending against will also make a difference.

In my area there are a lot of home invasions, and homes are all packed close together. I'm also concerned about the fact that literally anybody can buy a swat uniform and body armor on the web, and shout 'Police' when they bust in your door. So I like frangible slugs (it'll knock down even a big guy in a vest) and #1 or #4 buck. Those will find plenty of opportunities to get past armor or hit a moving target. I also like a short barrel, open choke shotgun for 'home' work. And I prefer a pump because in a regular 'burglary' kind of event the sound of you working that slide should chase anyone out of there fast - so you don't have to shoot anyone or take a chance of being shot either - and if they don't run from that you know you need to shoot to 'stop them'. But, as I said, your circumstances may imply different choices.

And just BTW, I've never had to put the theory of my load choices into practice, so I can't swear they are the best options at all. And practice reloading your gun in a big hurry in the dark too. No fumbling and no dropping shells.

I have a 12g Mossberg "Chainsaw" shotgun. Not only is this one of the nastiest looking weapons around, but it gives you very easy aim control from a waist-held position. NO ONE, but no one is going to f@ck with you when faced with this. As to the type of ammo, use 0 or 1 and be absolutely sure that there is no one behind your target or the wall behind them. Check it out:

Great survival shotgun article recommended by jd above. My home defense gun is a Remington 870 Marine Magnum loaded with #1 or #2 buckshot. I live near the ocean and it's what the Coast Guard issues. I've got a couple more barrels so I can use it for skeet and for normal bird hunting. #2 buck will give a less than 7" pattern up to about 10 yards, which is a typical home defense inside engagement distance. At 20 yards it covers a cardboard beer flat with holes. Here's a good discussion of ammo: Home Defense Shotgun Ammo.

You might want mention what kind of hacksaw he should use for his barrel modification as well as the minimum legal barrel length for a shotgun. You post this kind of nonsense and then you wonder why I question your intelligence.

In your own home there is no minimum length, just don't carry it outside or try to use it for hunting. As far as what type of hacksaw... seriously?

And I don't wonder anything about you regarding much of anything especially when your respond with personal mockery rather than add to a thread.

The sawed-off shotgun has proven itself to be an excellent form of home defense for many reasons. If you are unaware of that you could ask for clarification.

I have had a shotgun racked on me and it scared the hell out of me. I was trespassing and didnt know it.

You are not a BG who, by definition is a bad guy and probably a felon. If anything scared him he would not have ripped the door off your house or came through a window to rob the heck out of you--or worse to assault you and your wife.

In your own home there is no minimum length, just don't carry it outside or try to use it for hunting. As far as what type of hacksaw... seriously?

And I don't wonder anything about you regarding much of anything especially when your respond with personal mockery rather than add to a thread.

The sawed-off shotgun has proven itself to be an excellent form of home defense for many reasons. If you are unaware of that you could ask for clarification.
Federal law mandates 18" is the shortest a shotgun barrel can be. It doesn't matter if you keep it in your home or not. If you ever get caught going shorter, you're going to prison. That's like telling people it's ok to modify their AR-15's to be full auto as long as they never leave their house with it.

If the invader see's the shotgun he most likely will give up or run. Not many people will mess with a shotgun. If you shoot the shotgun, even if you do not hit him he might die of fright or else give up or run. Shotguns tend to put fear in people. Only an insane invader would continue coming toward a shotgun once he knows you have it.

:dance3:

SBR 5.56. Easy to maneuver. Easy to mount a light and laser (or even an IR rig). MUCH more lethal than any common handgun. Significantly less penetration than 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, and 12 ga. shotgun projectiles after first penetrating through interior walls. If you can't own an SBR, 14.7 with PA flash hider is still pretty maneuverable indoors.

I've got a shotgun but its only a double barrel and its full length for skeet shooting, but I wouldn't go to that first for home defense anyways. If I wind up needing my gun at home, I'm going for the Taurus PT111 G2 with 25 rounds of 9mm that will hopefully be more than enough for the job. But if it's not, then I'll be moving along to the heavier artillery, which would be the AR-15 with 10 30-round magazines full and ready to roll. If that doesn't stop them, then I doubt I had a chance to begin with.

As for tactics, I will put the Mrs. in a safe location with the shotgun and a side arm, and then I will be taking the rifle and side arm with me to clear the house. 911 will be called once the threat to myself and my family is gone. Or perhaps I will let the Mrs. be on the phone with them while I'm clearing the house, but only if she can do so while on speakerphone and concentrating on the firearm. I wouldn't want her not to be able to defend herself just because she was fumbling on the phone with the 911 operator.

Federal law mandates 18" is the shortest a shotgun barrel can be. It doesn't matter if you keep it in your home or not. If you ever get caught going shorter, you're going to prison. That's like telling people it's ok to modify their AR-15's to be full auto as long as they never leave their house with it.

Unless you get the tax stamp, I would agree with you. The post asked for the best firearms for home self-defense. I'm still standing by a short-barreled shotgun for multiple reasons. In close quarters it is much more maneuverable, it does not need a lot of aiming practice, and it is incredible easy to use. IMO.

I also added if he was hell bent on getting something new, I'd go with the KSG or UTS-15 for the extra ammo capacity over most other shotguns.

Unless you get the tax stamp, I would agree with you. The post asked for the best firearms for home self-defense. I'm still standing by a short-barreled shotgun for multiple reasons. In close quarters it is much more maneuverable, it does not need a lot of aiming practice, and it is incredible easy to use. IMO.

I also added if he was hell bent on getting something new, I'd go with the KSG or UTS-15 for the extra ammo capacity over most other shotguns.
I wasn't arguing that a short barreled shotgun doesn't have it's perks. I mean another one is that you generally don't have to worry about penetrating walls and hitting someone in another room. But what I was saying is that to say there is no minimum length is misleading, because the way you stated it, you made it sound as if he could take a hacksaw to his shotgun and cut it as short as he wants as long as he doesn't leave the house. I just wanted to clarify to make sure he didn't wind up in prison for unknowingly breaking the law because of a miscommunication.

Actually, the best weapon for home self defense is the one you have in your hand.
For me, it would be my EDC, which is either on my person, or when I'm in bed, is within reach.

I feel comfortable with my tactile rem 870 with a pressure switch light. Loaded next to the bed with 3" shot and some slugs to mix it up. While the pump of it may be intimidating all the BG is gonna hear is a bang

Sent from my SPH-L710 using USA Carry mobile app

I wasn't arguing that a short barreled shotgun doesn't have it's perks. I mean another one is that you generally don't have to worry about penetrating walls and hitting someone in another room. But what I was saying is that to say there is no minimum length is misleading, because the way you stated it, you made it sound as if he could take a hacksaw to his shotgun and cut it as short as he wants as long as he doesn't leave the house. I just wanted to clarify to make sure he didn't wind up in prison for unknowingly breaking the law because of a miscommunication.

I agree, I should have mentioned going through proper channels to do so. Thanks for the clarification.

I was using a bit of artistic liberty in the way I portrayed one would go about shortening the barrel properly. However, I have seen someone use a chair leg for a grip on the forend. It worked quite nicely.

SBR 5.56. Easy to maneuver. Easy to mount a light and laser (or even an IR rig). MUCH more lethal than any common handgun. Significantly less penetration than 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, and 12 ga. shotgun projectiles after first penetrating through interior walls. If you can't own an SBR, 14.7 with PA flash hider is still pretty maneuverable indoors.

If you want to go this route, go shorter and acquire a AR15 platform pistol, that will relieve you of the need to get the needed NFA paperwork for a SBR.
~
There are a number of manufactures that produce this format, in a number of calibers 5.56X45, 7.62X39, .308 Win just to name a few.
~
Most of these will also cost you less than just about any SBR available, usually right at a grand. My SGM9 is right there if I need it, but I also don't need to worry about neighbors, I live in the country away from the so called civilization. lol
~
There you have your trip into fantasy firearms that just aren't necessary to protect your home when a $200 shotgun with a minimal barrel, open choke, loaded with buckshot will handle the reticent criminal that wishes to be stupid on your property.
~
PS. 20 gauge and .410 gauge shotguns will provide the same protection and will be easier to control when fired. Once you buy make sure to practice and be comfortable with discharging the weapon so there is less surprise when it goes off your adrenaline will be running high enough as it is.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back