Best Conceal & Carry Revolver?

I'm sure that Rht4162 is being totally facetious with his humorous suggestion of the 454 autorevolver.

In any event, I may me going slightly "against the flow" when I say that the revolver I use for concealed carry has an exposed hammer. It's a 5-shot J-frame Taurus 605 SH2 titanium 357 magnum. It only weighs 16 ounces so its great for concealed carry. I carry it in an Elite in-pocket holster and I have practiced innumerable quick draws without ever snagging the hammer on my pocket. I just drop my thumb down to the hammer and cock it in synchronization with the draw so the first shot is single-action instead of double-action. I don't know about the rest of you but, if I'm rushed, I shoot more accurately single action. Let's face it...that first shot could be critical. Anyway, I'm not knocking the revolvers with shrouded hammers, just expressing my preference.

yes quite i was, though if you ask many there is a diffrence between what is the best for carry and what we would like to carry, do to real world circumstances, its like the difrence between idealism and realism gents

My BUG and sometimes primary carry gun is a 5 shot, S&W 340PD, chambered in .357, Scandium J Frame, tipping the scales at a mere 15oz loaded. It spends a lot of quality time in my right front pants pocket, nestled into a $7 Uncle Mikes pocket holster. Yeah, it kicks like a mule and hurts like hell to shoot it, but.....if I had to use it at close range under duress, I probably wouldn't even feel the mule, due to adrenaline. I hope I never need to use it, nor any of my guns. Best of luck and have a prosperous 2009! Montanna is a beautiful place!

Surfcc

Welcome to USA Carry Montana! Sorry to hear about the issues with the Taurus'. I lean towards S&W with revolvers, but that is just my opinion. I also like the colt cobra, but that has a hammer. I don't even think they make those any more, didn't bother to look. Ruger also makes some decent revolvers. Any reason why you are leaning towards a revolver over a semi-auto? Just curious. I like revolvers because I feel they are more reliable. I do love my SIG P220 though, so I can't really talk. Best of luck!

Yup, they sure do make them and I just procured a brand spanking new one a month or so ago, Cobra Model CA-380, made in Utah, it's not a revolver and nowhere does it say Colt so maybe some other company took over. It has no hammer but it's a cute little bugger, fits easily into most any pocket except maybe a change pocket! Link Removed But mine's all black and stealth-like. The magazine says Cobra Enterprises, Utah, 380/32. It rests easily beside its mate, another cute little bugger, an AMT 380 "Kurz". I hear them whispering secrets to each other often, like twins with their own made-up language... :haha: :unsure:

Happy New Year.

Me, too!

My BUG and sometimes primary carry gun is a 5 shot, S&W 340PD, chambered in .357, Scandium J Frame, tipping the scales at a mere 15oz loaded. It spends a lot of quality time in my right front pants pocket, nestled into a $7 Uncle Mikes pocket holster. Yeah, it kicks like a mule and hurts like hell to shoot it, but.....if I had to use it at close range under duress, I probably wouldn't even feel the mule, due to adrenaline. I hope I never need to use it, nor any of my guns. Best of luck and have a prosperous 2009! Montanna is a beautiful place!

Surfcc

I LOVE mine, too. I have the CT laser grip, which makes a big difference in followup speed for me. A friend at the range had the same model without the laser grip, and it made a big difference on our timing.

Once, while we were shooting .38's at some bowling pins, my "friend" put a .357 in the third chamber. Those things hurt even when you are expecting it. However, since I was only expecting the .38 (I think we were shooting "low recoil" ammo, at that) I darn near dropped the gun. OWWW!
:blink:

Yup, they sure do make them and I just procured a brand spanking new one a month or so ago, Cobra Model CA-380, made in Utah, it's not a revolver and nowhere does it say Colt so maybe some other company took over. It has no hammer but it's a cute little bugger, fits easily into most any pocket except maybe a change pocket! Link Removed But mine's all black and stealth-like. The magazine says Cobra Enterprises, Utah, 380/32. It rests easily beside its mate, another cute little bugger, an AMT 380 "Kurz". I hear them whispering secrets to each other often, like twins with their own made-up language... :haha: :unsure:

Happy New Year.

Guess they just took the name sense Colt no longer makes the Cobra pistol. Here is a picture of the Colt.

Colt Cobra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

First off, welcome Montana!

I too am a fan of the revolver for specific purposes. I am trying to get my wife in a class the beginning of Feb taught by one of my coworkers. I think the shrouded hammers are nice especially if you carry a purse as you can fire through and not have the hammer snag. (I am NOT saying they are for girls) My wife keeps my .357 in the headboard for the days I am on my 24's and she is home alone w/ the baby. I personally like my Ruger GP 100, and I know they make those smaller.

The only point to consider w/ the shrouded hammers is that you need a tool to get to the hammer mechanism to clean them. One of the guys I used to work w/ before he became a full time LEO just sold his airweight. Craig said that was his only beef w/ it. It opened up my eyes as a point to ponder. All in all, I believe they still are nice pieces. Good luck in your search, and if they do make models that do not need tools for this, that would be a selling factor for me at least.

A Ruger or SW snubbie is always a practical choice for concealed carry. I have a handful of snubbies, but I usually use my Taurus 85UL.....and I agree that a .357 is a better bet in the winter for "layer penetration."
Otherwise, .38 is always a good bet.

Hi,

I discovered this thread while googling about revolvers.

I have a couple semi-autos, but am interested in obtaining my first revolver.

About .357s: What's the risk of one of those rounds actually going through a threat and striking someone or something unintended?

Thanks.

Andy

Well, a well aimed shot is ideal....

Hi,

I discovered this thread while googling about revolvers.

I have a couple semi-autos, but am interested in obtaining my first revolver.

About .357s: What's the risk of one of those rounds actually going through a threat and striking someone or something unintended?

Thanks.

Andy

I believe that the risk of a center of mass shot from a .357 going through is minimal. Those bullets tend to do a very good job of mushrooming, consequently dumping all of their energy into the target.

You must remember, though, that you still own every bullet that leaves the barrel of your firearm, wherever it might roam.

I second the S&W J frame. Load it with .38 Special +P's and your good to go. If you don't mind the sting and recoil of the .357 round then by all means load em' up.

Take a look at the new Ruger LCR, I just got one and it is a very nice little wheel gun.

Link Removed

Welcome! Go with the hammerless S&W 340PD chambered in .357. I believe the M&P versionof the same gun comes equipped with Crimson Trace Laser Grips. I carry my 340PD as a backup. If you want to go a little bigger, look at S&W's offerings in their larger framed Scandium wheelguns. Light guns that pack a big punch. Even though they hurt when you shoot at the range, if you had to use under duress, adrenaline will take over anyway.

I've been carrying a S&W 638 in a Kramer horsehide pocket holster for years now. Haven't worn either out yet.

IMG

I've been carrying a S&W 638 in a Kramer horsehide pocket holster for years now. Haven't worn either out yet.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36/dshane/Toys/DSC09141.jpg[/IMG[/quote]

Excellent CCW revolver!

[B]Link Removed[/B]

Let me throw my 2 cents worth in.

I think your primary revolver should be like a primary auto. BIG!!

I recommend a .41 Magnum in a 4inch barrel.

Second choice would be a .357 magnum in 4inch.

Remember, it is NOT the length of the barrel, but the size of the handle that gives you away in concealed carry.

Also Magnums are made for 4 inch or longer barrels. Longer barrel more speed. Shorter barrel more noise and less speed.

Link Removed

S&W Model 10 Snub

Yup - A revolver is my favorite as well. Won't jam, no safety to think about in a stress situation, always a round in the chamber. Point and shoot.

The S&W J frames (5-shot small frame) are great guns - as long as you stick with the steel frames. The lightweight framed revolvers are great to carry - but hell to shoot. Load them up with plus P ammo, and you'll only have the first shot come close to the target - and that assumes you practice. I mean really practice like 99% of us don't do enough of.

I carry a Charter Arms Undercover . The Undercover is an alloy framed inexpensive knock off of the S&W J-Frame. It is a bit lighter weight than the Taurus 85 stainless (another economical S&W J-Frame knock-off) that I also carry. I can shoot the Taurus much better - probably because of the heavier steel frame. (OK- the Taurus does have a better trigger than the Undercover).

HOWEVER: My Real carry gun is the S&W K frame (6-shot medium frame) Model 10 with a 2-inch snubby barrel. They don't make these as a 2-inch snubby any more, but they are fairly easy to find on the used market. This gun is just a tad larger than the J-frames, and still conceals quite well. It is heavier and will shoot the dickens out of the J frames.

The Model 10 was the baseline for the model 19 .357, but as far as I'm concerned, any snubby in .357 is a bit too hot to handle for most folks. Like I said - it takes real and regular practice to attain proficiency with any gun - especially a small revolver with a powerful load.

Not many folks practice enough.

I include myself in the "not enough practice" category. And I probably shoot a bit more than most. Years ago I regularly shot over 1000 rounds every week in order to hone my skills for practical shooting competitions. Even at that, I never was able to compete with the big bouys that really burned up the brass!

Find a Smith model 10 with a 2-inch barrel and give it a try along side of a lightweight alloy J-frame. I guarantee the difference in shootability will amaze you!

Carl

Last edited:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back