Best all around Handgun

I would have to go with my S&W 686 .357 Mag. Carries well, always shoots, easy to take care of, will handle any
load I place in the cylinder, and can work as a nightstand gun, car gun, where ever I need it.

I've been shooting and carrying 1911 frames for over 40 years. I bought a Dan Wesson Bobtail, and will buy another one soon. It's really an outstanding piece.

Link Removed

Second that Old Zebra mine is the enfrocer with a recon frame I prefer the surefire though only use the light on duty

The best?

Like I said its the nighthawk for me. But the best is a sum of many factors. How big are you? How do you dress? What type of threats are you most often going to face? What is your experience and skill level? What are you used to carrying?

I carried an M9 in the Corps for years and found it lacking (admittedly most problems where with the militarys over used magazines and and that bad nato fmj ammo couldnt ,didnt, stop a stray starving Iraqi dog ).

Since ive carried glocks smith J frames and a list too long to get into. The XD gets good marks because next to my nighthawk ( or other comperable 1911) it would be my choice to bet my life on. Great weapon very sturdy (for a "plastic wondergun") and I like the way it shoots.

If your not expertly expertly trainned and/or you dont get or cant afford a lot of range time. I put at least 600 rounds a week through my carry gun. I would strongly recommed the XD, Glock or the Kahr or a smith J frame
THREE REASONS

1)Price
2)ease of use (no external safty to remember to use
3) because they are very common finding a holster that fits your lifestyle should be easy

Caliber choice is much the same. There are two rules to remember.

First -If you have to throw a rock, you
might as well throw a big rock. Thats why I carry a 45 But when my little sister got her first CWP I went
out and got her a Smith J frame because her hands are smaller than mine she doesnt shoot nearly as much
and she is smaller and it would be hard for her to conceal a larger weapon.

Second- The big roc is only better if you can hit the attacker with it. You are much better off to hit
him with a .22 than miss him with a .45

I would have to go with my S&W 686 .357 Mag. Carries well, always shoots, easy to take care of, will handle any
load I place in the cylinder, and can work as a nightstand gun, car gun, where ever I need it.
+1 It is the best considering all the parameters.

if price was a factor I would choose the S&W M&P series. If price wasn't a factor than I would say Sig Sauer. When I was on active duty assigned to a non Spec Ops unit I carried the M9 Beretta and while it was useful (sometimes) I wasn't a fan. When I was assigned to Spec Ops units and as a reservist I carry the M11 Sig P228 and find it very comfortable, accurate, and reliable. When it comes to getting a gun with/without a thumb safety is personal preference. The same thing when it comes to an external hammer. If I had the money i would go buy a P228 since I could decock the hamer and am used to switching the thumb safety as I draw from the holster.

Any HK USP

HK's USP series is a great design. I'll take a 45 full size please. Accurate, reliable, fast, and lightweight.

Why are we only limited to one? There's just too many to choose from. I picked up a Mark 23 back before they were going for almost $2000. It's as durable as one can ask, accurate, and a tried and true caliber. It's not unbearably heavy, but it is noticeably heavier than the USP I own (great gun as well) and I think a little over an inch longer. So it loses points in concealment factor, it makes up for it with all its other features.

Would have to say my two Taurus 24/7 Pros, 9mm & 45acp.With well over 7000 rounds in both,I have yet to have any problems with either one.:biggrin:

I would have to agree. I had not really considered the Taurus. But, I really liked the feel of the 24/7 ProC 45 in the hand. (Better than the Glock & everybit as good as the XDM)

Because my wife wanted/needed a little more than the Bersa 380acp (Another GREAT handgun!), I really liked the price of the 24/7 Pro Compacts.

But, it was when I took them to the range and found out they were as accurate and reliable as my XDM; and also experiencing how comfortable they are for all day carry that the 24/7 ProC became my "Top" pick as a all around GREAT handgun.

If I could only have one pistol (I currently have 4) it would have to be my HK P2000 SK 9mm. Very accurate and very concealable. Terrific pistol.

I like my 357 Magnums. The size for concealed carry, the reliability and easier upkeep of a revolver and the versatility of 38, 38 +P and 357 loads are my reasons.

Glock 23 is a tie for first, given the simplicity of design, durability, reliability, safety, size, weight, ergonomics and the high capacity.

Clearly, there is a separation between the ‘very best’ gun for me, and the notorious ‘dream gun’ I wish I could have. Anyway, since I do carry most of the time I’m restricted to what fits, hides and shoots well enough to be my preferred choice. Drum roll please… S&W 640 customized with real sights, tuned, hard chromed, melded and moon clipped. In fact, mine is still a work-in-progress but you get the idea.
Regards,

I have a lot of guns, but the best for me by far is my GP100, stainless 4". People say their Glocks are the most dependable, I beg to differ.:biggrin:

For me it's a 5" Nighthawk GRP Recon with a Streamlight TLR-2 mounted on the gun's rail. This .45 ACP 1911 is utterly reliable, amazingly accurate, and with the combo light/laser on the rail, I have all I want and need in a home defense weapon.

I own the same gun. Night Hawk is without a doubt at the top of the 1911 game, but they do not come without a high price tag, as with any reliable semi custom 1911. I mounted the Insight M6 Laser/Light combo on my rail.

I own many H&K USP varients and they are consitently reliable. I can't ever remember any failures out of any of my H&K pistols.

A reliable 1911 is still my favorite handgun. Caveat emptor, getting one 100% reliable may take some work, especially if your shooting more than just a couple hundred rounds a month and then saying "flawless"

In fact, there is a Springfield "MC" Operator sitting right in front of me on this desk.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back