Being adamant about not providing info. when asked

This is a simple conditioning tactic. One of the best examples of conditioning is when was the last time you went to a restaurant, Walmart or Kroger even though you are old and wrinkled, obviously much, much over 21 (even over 50 looking) and the teenage waitress or checkout person "asks you for your ID" to buy a beer. Now how many times do you or some one you see buying beer just whip out that drivers license and submit to that corporate request. The Government and the Corporations are working together to condition Americans to "Show Their Papers" just as the Natzi's did and you know where that ended up. I personally do not "show my papers" to anyone. You can ask for a manager at any of these places and the Manager will say "It's The Law" we see your ID to buy beer, BullS%$$#. You show everyone your not going to "show your papers" for no reason when asked. Heck I ask them to see their ID to make sure they are old enough to sell my old butt a beer. If an officer of the law wants to see your papers for no obvious reason, all you have to do is ask "Am I Free to Go" or "Are You Detaining Me" If they say they are detaining you then they must inform you of the law you have broken and putting you in hand cuffs. Just remember the 2nd amendment is not the only amendment. There are 27 amendments total and the first ten are the most important ones.

So then you go away thirsty because you won't show an ID to get the beer. You call that a win?

Well Sir... the battle that you would consider "unwise" due to your own personal criteria just may be the battle that someone else considers essential to engage in.. and has the ability to do so.

But if folks ridicule, insult, and demean others for engaging in battles they themselves wouldn't get into..... then they are expecting other people to live according to their own values and judgements.

I'll not judge you, or anyone, for not jumping into a battle... but I'll surely jump all over you for ridiculing or insulting me for jumping into that battle because...

Someone needs to fight. Otherwise.. all is lost. And your opinion of the worthiness of the battle is only valid to.... you.

I for one have not intentionally ridiculed or insulted anyone who chooses to open carry, I actually respect their choice to do so.
I personally prefer to carry concealed for numerous reasons.

As far as 'jumping into battle' for our rights, I have personally jumped into battle many times for years, putting my very own neck on the line when I lived in Southern Commiefornia. I will not go into detail because 'big brother' is probably monitoring this very forum.

I will give a word to the wise however...
"If you do choose to jump into the battle, you better look before you leap".

Know your rights. Know what the limitations are of the LEOs AND yourself as a law abiding citizen. Understand that advice and constitutional lectures from those on this forum may not be applicable in EVERY situation. Refusing to answer a LEO that's reasonably conducting a traffic stop or investigating a MWAG may actually get you into trouble if States' laws have statutes regarding obstruction of justice, refusing to submit personal ID, disorderly conduct, etc as it's been touched on here. You may NOT KNOW what sort of reasonable suspicion the LEO may have that would be upheld by a judge in which these charges could be brought. Essentially, don't act like a boob with a gun.

First, I'd like to say that I TOTALLY understand and agree with the fact that we all have rights and don't want to lose them. However, I keep seeing many posts about how an officer confronts someone open carrying and the person refuses to cooperate. I saw another post about a hotel asking someone to show their CCW permit. Again, I TOTALLY understand that you don't have to and they have no legal grounds, but why wouldn't you cooperate and just get it over with? I'm really curious as to why it's such a big deal to so many of you not to cooperate. It's not like they're going to take your rights away from you and you're not incriminating yourself in any way by cooperating. The situation would be much easier if you just answer the questions and move on. Now, if they won't stop hassling you after you've cooperated, then I could see the point of refusing to cooperate further. So, is there something I'm missing?

The problem typically applies to people OCing. The issue is, if cops are stopping people, IDing them, checking permits etc it's either because

A: They Want to harass you
B: Somebody Called in a MWAG
C: There being nosy

The problem with cooperating is then it becomes normal to harass everybody carrying. It also justifies people carrying a gun "must be up to no good". People AND police need to get it through their heads that if you not doing anything wrong, they need to mind their own business. Every situation is different. The bigger issue is these YouTube morons that gear up JUST to fight with the cops. I treat the cops the way they treat me, they have a job to do and may not always agree with what their told to do no different than us....BUT I completely understand people giving them a hard time when their detained, made a scene off, and just for walking down the street.

I for one have not intentionally ridiculed or insulted anyone who chooses to open carry, I actually respect their choice to do so.
I personally prefer to carry concealed for numerous reasons.

As far as 'jumping into battle' for our rights, I have personally jumped into battle many times for years, putting my very own neck on the line when I lived in Southern Commiefornia. I will not go into detail because 'big brother' is probably monitoring this very forum.

I will give a word to the wise however...
"If you do choose to jump into the battle, you better look before you leap".
My point was... just as there are folks who think other people are unwise for jumping into the battles they do... there may have been folks who thought it was unwise for you to have jumped into the battles you did.

Here's a situation that I think will clear up what I mean: a boss tells a cop that they got a bunch of calls about someone with a gun at Pine and Main St.. The boss tells him to go check out what's going on. It's now his job to do what his boss says.

You're walking down the street, legally open carrying and the officer wants to talk with you about it. You say something like, "I'm an American citizen doing nothing illegal and refuse to answer any of your questions." Now, the cop needs to find out what's going on, and with a response from you like that, is thinking you're a nutjob and a possible risk to society. What is he supposed to do? For all he knows you're another Colorado shooting waiting to happen.

Why not say something like, "Although you have no legal grounds to question or detain me, I'm willing to answer your questions so you can see I'm not a threat." You're still stating your legal rights and making your point, but now you don't sound like a nutjob. If he asks for your ID, why not show it to him and get him off your back? Now, if he wants to pressure you after that, or if he becomes "authoritative" on you, then I can totally see why you would tell him to "take a hike." At that point I would stand my ground too.

In this situation, I believe the officer is just trying to do his job and find out what's going on. I don't think showing him your ID is going to mean you'll lose your rights just because you cooperated. I also don't think he's trying to infringe on your rights just by asking to see your ID. He just needs something to report back to his boss with and let him know that you're not a threat and everyone can calm down.

Let me take this to it's logical extreme. If/when I'm pulled over for a traffic citation let's say. The officer might say "mind if I take a look in your trunk?" It's easier if I say "Sure, why not". He finds nothing and I'm on my way.

On the other hand, I am under no obligation to consent to a search.
In which case he may well say "OK, hold on while I run your info through the computer..."

..And walk back a half hour later ordering you out, cuffed and the search proceeds with backup onsite as well.

What if he knew something about you already and just had to get the warrant approved OTAR?

What if, then? See how that works, logically in the other extreme.

I can gaurentee you that If you tell a cop "you can't do this or that" that is exactly what he is going to do. In cop language its call "Contempt of Cop" probably more people have gone to jail for this than any other thing. It may not be right or it may not be legal but it is done every day. Why subject yourself to needless problems by standing on principal. I say pick your battles. I know many of you will say, I will sue his Ass if he arrested me illegally. You might try however these guys know what they can get away with and what they can not. Its all in the way the report is written and a report can be written in such a way that the cop is not lying and he covers his ass at the same time. Depending on the size town you live in you also develope a brand at this time, troublemaker, If the town is small enough this brand can cause you much trouble. Most Police are very professional and willl not give you this type hassel but there are some who will. Police reflect their communitys, if 10% of the people in the comunity are butt holes 10% of the Police will be its that simple.

Here's a situation that I think will clear up what I mean: a boss tells a cop that they got a bunch of calls about someone with a gun at Pine and Main St.. The boss tells him to go check out what's going on. It's now his job to do what his boss says.

You're walking down the street, legally open carrying and the officer wants to talk with you about it. You say something like, "I'm an American citizen doing nothing illegal and refuse to answer any of your questions." Now, the cop needs to find out what's going on, and with a response from you like that, is thinking you're a nutjob and a possible risk to society. What is he supposed to do? For all he knows you're another Colorado shooting waiting to happen.

Why not say something like, "Although you have no legal grounds to question or detain me, I'm willing to answer your questions so you can see I'm not a threat." You're still stating your legal rights and making your point, but now you don't sound like a nutjob. If he asks for your ID, why not show it to him and get him off your back? Now, if he wants to pressure you after that, or if he becomes "authoritative" on you, then I can totally see why you would tell him to "take a hike." At that point I would stand my ground too.

In this situation, I believe the officer is just trying to do his job and find out what's going on. I don't think showing him your ID is going to mean you'll lose your rights just because you cooperated. I also don't think he's trying to infringe on your rights just by asking to see your ID. He just needs something to report back to his boss with and let him know that you're not a threat and everyone can calm down.

The sad part isn't that you keep trying to justify why you want to surrender your 4th amendment protections but you want others to surrender those protections as well .............. and all just to make the government happy. You're an Obama supporter aren't you.

Why not say something like, "Am I free to leave? No? Then I have nothing further to say without my attorney present."

I have ZERO desire to have ANY contact with police, including talking to them. Other than returning a polite greeting or STATUTORILY REQUIRED notifications, I won't be doing so without a lawyer present.

I couldn't care less what they think of that.

I can gaurentee you that If you tell a cop "you can't do this or that" that is exactly what he is going to do. In cop language its call "Contempt of Cop" probably more people have gone to jail for this than any other thing. It may not be right or it may not be legal but it is done every day. Why subject yourself to needless problems by standing on principal. I say pick your battles. I know many of you will say, I will sue his Ass if he arrested me illegally. You might try however these guys know what they can get away with and what they can not. Its all in the way the report is written and a report can be written in such a way that the cop is not lying and he covers his ass at the same time. Depending on the size town you live in you also develope a brand at this time, troublemaker, If the town is small enough this brand can cause you much trouble. Most Police are very professional and willl not give you this type hassel but there are some who will. Police reflect their communitys, if 10% of the people in the comunity are butt holes 10% of the Police will be its that simple.
Bullies never stop BEING bullies because they get what they want BY being bullies.

I'm not talking beyond STATUTORY requirements, nor am I EVER consenting to ANY searches. And it'll all be recorded, and or streamed to the internet.

What the cop thinks of that is of the greatest disinterest to me.

ghostrider said:
I know that I’ve not posted here before, but that doesn’t mean I am unfamiliar with the topic. I've been quite involved and observant of this matter for many years, and have learned that, "The main problem with this argument is, “Denial”. "

The, “tells” are all there, including disparaging remarks, and ad hominem attacks. People would rather blame someone else than face their own fears.

People who question such behavior aren’t going to be convinced because in truth, they know the answer, but just don’t want to face it. Evidenced is the main thrust of the argument against. That being “fear”.

Here’s more. As an example, croute pointed it out in his very first post. Yet, rather than accept that it’s a valid reason for, he (and this is common throughout the opposition, not exclusive to croute) tries to use it as an argument for opposition. Their reason for compliance is “Fear”. Yet, THAT is the very reason to not comply, and for the most part why so many have decided to take a stand. We’ve so devolved as a society that we accept without any apprehension that the coercion involved in such matters is not just accepted, but also “expected”. “It’s easier” (Why? It shouldn’t even matter.). “I’d rather avoid the hassle.” (Again, it shouldn’t be a factor). “It will only lead to more loss of rights” (as if you really have those rights when you’re so afraid of loosing them that you can’t be satisfied with just making your own decision on the matter. And again, it shouldn’t be a factor). The very fact that we (as a society in general) expect this sort of thing is an acknowledgement of that fear (regardless of our wanting to admit/accept it). It is human in nature to turn ones fear onto someone else for blame/criticism instead of facing one’s own fear (this argument goes both ways). That of course is the foundation of bigotry (disparage, rather than deal with one’s personal fears (often of the unknown or unfamiliar)), and/or insecurities (which is just another manifestation of fear).

You want to know “Why” people stand up? Use all the disparaging, misguided labels you want, but it’s for the very reason that you yourself (not to be mistaken as an individual assessment, but only in general terms), disparage it.

Of course, those reading who disagree will not understand, and I wouldn’t expect them to. That’s the thing about denial. The really deep denial is not even perceivable until you come out of it. Until then, you’re controlled by that fear. And, “fear” is one of the strongest motivators.

Now to address the officer (thank you for your service) from Dallas. I find it very interesting that there was/is an actual law that allows an officer to detain someone without reasonable suspicion when the Supreme Court of the USA ruled such action unconstitutional many years ago. I don’t doubt that there are laws requiring people to ID themselves once detained, but to say, “…any reason” is a little broad. I suspect that if the officer does not properly articulate RAS, that any evidence later would be considered fruit of the poisonous tree. Of course, most officers don’t have to worry about that since the burden of proving innocence is so great (gee, another indicator of that, “fear”).

Of course, there's always someone who will feel so threatened by my statements that they'll feel compelled to disparage me (often times just plain bullying), without even caring that doing so will only prove me right (there's those ad hominem comments again.)Think about it. If I'm wrong, then you won't be so insecure as to care enough to do so, and doing so would be nothing more than bullying. If I'm right, then the only reason to attack has already been explained.

"Flame on."

For a first post, very well said. It's sad to see people so afraid of sticking up for all their rights, they can't even see they have all ready lost them till is too late.

Many folks in Michigan have told the Police they can't do what they thought they could and won.. because they had the courage to stand up and refuse to be intimidated.

In fact just a while back a fellow openly carried an AR15 into a Ponderosa in Lansing and guess what happened after the dust settled? The cops got retrained about open carry....

Link Removed

Gun Carriers Walk into Ponderosa Steakhouse
They say they were simply exercising their rights

-snip-
But LPD say no one was arrested and notes they're now working cooperatively with Open Carry to ensure this doesn't happen again.

"I think the taxpayers of Lansing want us to respond to gun calls. But at the same time, we need to be aware of individual rights."
-snip-

So yes, ordinary people legally exercising their rights CAN... and DO.. tell the cops what they can't do... if they have the courage to stand up and do it.

Many folks in Michigan have told the Police they can't do what they thought they could and won.. because they had the courage to stand up and refuse to be intimidated.

In fact just a while back a fellow openly carried an AR15 into a Ponderosa in Lansing and guess what happened after the dust settled? The cops got retrained about open carry....

-snip-
But LPD say no one was arrested and notes they're now working cooperatively with Open Carry to ensure this doesn't happen again.

"I think the taxpayers of Lansing want us to respond to gun calls. But at the same time, we need to be aware of individual rights."
-snip-

Entire article can be read here:

Link Removed

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/MSP_Legal_Update_No._86_2_336854_7.pdf

They sure did. I have this bookmarked and look at it every once in a while as a reminder of how most states should be, and what they should do..

And here begins another 30 page debate of the same crap spewing from the same mouths on both sides of the argument.

Sometimes it's better to just have your opinion and keep it to yourself rather than start these threads

You have my support for this sentiment...sometimes it is good to stop hanging your head against the wall.

Bikenut: here's an open carry situation in Lansing, Michigan where it led to guns being banned in the library: Michigan Judge Prohibits Open Carrying of Weapons in Library

Being nutjobs sure helped the cause in that situation.
Yep.. a person did open carry a long gun in that library and the case went to the Court of Appeals with a ruling expected any day. And if that ruling isn't favorable to the right to bear arms it will go to the Michigan Supreme Court.

Thing is... the library asserted that because it was an "authority" it could ban guns because the actual word "authority" isn't in the preemption law. The lower court decided that the library could only ban legal open carry (and open carry is legal in Michigan without a permit making open carry exercising the actual right to bear arms) but couldn't ban legal concealed carry.

So the lower court ruled against the Constitutional right to bear arms and in favor of the infringement called a "permit".

Sometimes it is necessary to bring these things out in the open.

And where some folks would rather not rock the boat because they see a legal confrontation.. others see the potential to get things straightened out because... once an "authority" decides it can ban guns just because the word "authority" isn't specifically mentioned in the law then any "authority" (except that one library limited by the present ruling) could ban guns... all guns concealed or otherwise. You know.. like the Downtown Development Authority.... The Parks Beautification Authority... the Just Because We Need An Authority to Ban Guns Authority....

And local units of government would scramble to create all manner of "authorities" just for the express purpose of being able to control guns.. all guns carried in all manners. And that would mean that a person could be violating several gun ban rules (rules that have the force of law by the way) from several "authorities" simply by driving across town. So much for having a concealed carry permit.

Not to mention that if that happens any old "authority" would have more power than the legislators since they don't need votes or voter support.. they can just make a rule.

And make no mistake.... the reason this came about wasn't just the guy with the long gun... eventually it was going to happen with any kind of carry, concealed or otherwise, because someone figured out that using "authorities" would be a really great way to do an end run around the actual law and institute gun control.

And as I already mentioned... this library thing is far from over because this is one that needs to be taken all the way.

And using insulting name calling does not enhance the credibility or validity of your argument.

Exactly. Depending on where you live that's enough to get your firearms license revoked. Would you rather take that risk or simply end the encounter and be on your way?

Take the risk. I will not waive my rights for the sake of convenience.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back