Automatic CCW permits for all military vets with honorable DD214 service?

coachdb18

I'd like to see ALL honorably discharged vets permitted to conceal carry on the basis of their DD214 alone, in ALL states, subject to no mental issues which would make their safe carrying in the general public a problem. After going through two active duty periods, a VERY thorough background check for a TS clearance, and multiple Expert marksmanship ribbons documented on those previously mentioned DD214's, I'm not sure what is left for my county sheriff to discover about me! As vets, we've also already been fingerprinted, so even that is redundant...and yes, I do have my North Carolina resident CCW permit, after jumping all the required hoops to get it.

What say y'all? [Hey, I'm from North Carolina LOL]

What say y'all? [Hey, I'm from North Carolina LOL]

I have to disagree. There should be no "special" or "elite" classes of legal residents in regards to carrying firearms. That includes presently employed LEO, retired LEO, military members or veterans. One rule should apply to all and all should be required to abide by the same rules. "Shall not be infringed."

BTW, there are thousands of honorably discharged military personnel who have never handled a handgun, and only handled a rifle in boot camp/basic training.

I also have to disagree. As a U.S. Navy Veteran, we were not allowed to handle handguns. I know a couple active duty Army personnel I would think twice before inviting them to go out back and firing a few magazines. I'm not so sure it would be a good idea, nice thought though.

I have to disagree. There should be no "special" or "elite" classes of legal residents in regards to carrying firearms. That includes presently employed LEO, retired LEO, military members or veterans. One rule should apply to all and all should be required to abide by the same rules. "Shall not be infringed."

BTW, there are thousands of honorably discharged military personnel who have never handled a handgun, and only handled a rifle in boot camp/basic training.

It's not about anyone being 'elite' or 'special', a CCW permit is simply issued when you've met some very basic qualifications, and I don't see the need for all the hoops to be jumped through multiple times, when there' documentation to show these hoops have already been jumped.

What are they needing when they do a CCW background check? Same stuff.. US Citizen..check. No felony convictions..check. County resident..check. Fingerprints on file...check. And yes, my DD214 attests to both rifle and handgun marksmanship qualification. Anyone whose DD214 doesn't show this qualification, they still needs to show they can shoot straight by qualifying on the range. The rules aren't different for anyone, but when you already have the required proof to meet the checklist, why bother repeating. Not that much different than a renewal permit, is it?

So unless you just like layer upon layer of redundant government, why make those who have documentation to go through all of it again, and again? I believe the best government is the smallest government. You want to save money on spending, here's one small way, among the millions available, to help size it down, and simultaneously save time, money and citizen frustration, while affording some basic responsibility for the purpose of issuing CCW permits.

As a Vet, I see no reason why any law abiding citizen with no criminal or mental issues should not be allow to carry under the second amendment. Don't want special program and I qualified expert with pistol and rifle. Shall not be infringed.

I also have to disagree. As a U.S. Navy Veteran, we were not allowed to handle handguns. I know a couple active duty Army personnel I would think twice before inviting them to go out back and firing a few magazines. I'm not so sure it would be a good idea, nice thought though.

What you never qualified with a .45? I spent 20yrs giving the training lecture, working in aromrys, running indoor ranges and teaching sailors how to shoot handguns as an AO (Aviation Ordenanceman). Must be the new Navy.

Honestly, I don't see this as a good idea. How does having a DD214 qualify someone or give them the information that is taught at the proper training involved in getting a certification? I've talked to several current and discharged military persons who had no clue of the requirements and legalities of carrying a concealed weapon. I know one individual who is currently an active National Guardsman who got his CCW permit w/o any additional training and he doesn't have any idea of the proper use and handling of his pistol. He thinks a drop leg holster with multiple mag pouches is an acceptable carry rig.

Solid MOBUCK,

The 214 only states that you qualified the last time on the range. It still will not state if you had been trained for CCP, few military personnel will ever have this in service and even then it is not the same as civilian CCP training. I am Active Duty Army- 19 years and have not seen the reason to 'GIVE' CCP to anyone just because they have an honorable discharge. Nothing in life is free. If you want it bad enough, get up and work for it.
SPEAR-99

There should be no training required to carry a firearm. I just don't see that requirement in the 2nd Amendment. We do not have a training requirement in WA state to obtain a CPL and no license or training is required to open carry. Yet there is no discernible negative effect from not requiring training here, nor in any other state that does not have a training requirement.

There is no training requirement in Arizona, Vermont, Alaska, now Wyoming and other states as well. Where are the negative effects in reality?

CCW should be "automatic" nationwide for anyone legal to possess a firearm, and the prohibitions against firearm possession for some groups of people should be repealed as well.

A Honarable Discharge does not always reflect the true reason for separation nor does it insure that the individual is competent to carry a weapon of any kind.

Navy should be excluded from the special treatment stated.

Who gets called when the Army gets in trouble?

Link Removed

And, we can conceal carry fairly well....

delta+III.jpg

In SC it isn't quite what you want but will suffice for the training portion of the permit process.

(f) a member of the active or reserve military, or a member of the National Guard who has had handgun training in the previous three years.

In some states, i.e., kalifornia, requests a DD Form 214 to show you have shot some type of rifle, pistol or revolver. All this does is it counts towards the Hunting Safety classes that are mandatory in those states, but has nothing to do with getting a CCW.

As a retired Marine (30 years AD)I think we need to be more realistic about veteran Status. it is not nearly as elite as many would like to believe. There have been millions of veterans. Although some didn't serve,the sad truth is the military could not have absorbed them all if they had signed up. I served six years in country during the VietNam War, and my nation did reward me for my service. I have my house because of a GI Loan and I have two college degrees (Bachelor of Science and Master of Arts) that I earned through the GI Bill. I also have neighbors who never served but are good people who take care of their families and vote. I do not consider that I rate any special privileges over them. The right to bear arms is a Citizen's right, the Constitution says nothing about military service.

Dad is a Navy vet. And he had to stay qualified during his entire time in the service with a .45 semi auto. It depends on what you did in the service, not that you were in.

What you never qualified with a .45? I spent 20yrs giving the training lecture, working in aromrys, running indoor ranges and teaching sailors how to shoot handguns as an AO (Aviation Ordenanceman). Must be the new Navy.
Dad was qualified in 1946 and carried till 1971 when he joined the Naval Reserve with credit for 26 years of AD. CTMCM when he retired. Sure has to be the new Navy.

Who gets called when the Army gets in trouble?

Link Removed

And, we can conceal carry fairly well....

delta+III.jpg
I see your BB picture and raise you 1 video.
Dad's ship.:wink:

And as for subs, they carry SEALs concealed too.:biggrin:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back