Arrested for Being Christians in America?

Please do not feed the trolls.
Whats that smell? TROLL!!!:mad

What Are We Down to Now?

C&L, you must have brown eyes, cause you're so full of sh#t. I look forward to meeting you and your puke friends one day.
Cocked and Locked will make a good Muslim one of these days...
Whats that smell? TROLL!!!
As always, when reason and logic fail to assuage the irrational point of view, come the personal attacks.

Can't you see how you look with this type of childish behaviour?

As always, when reason and logic fail to assuage the irrational point of view, come the personal attacks.

While I mostly agree with the above comments I feel you.

HOWEVER do not presume to say "when logic fails". Nothing could be farther from the truth. You REFUSE to see the logic & have put your blinders on to the truth like every other lib.
I dont mind arguing with libs that have a cogent thought out response. Yours are full of hyperbole, conjecture & prejudice.

Its one thing to be biased (as am I) but prejudice is born of ignorance and to have your position vis-a-vis the legality of the Christians being there is either being naive, ignorant or disingenuous.

A poignant editorial

FIRST-PERSON: Religious speech takes a hit in Mich.

By: Kelly Boggs

Original article can be found here, Link Removed

ALEXANDRIA, La. (BP)--It seems that city leaders in Dearborn, Mich., could use a refresher course on the Bill of Rights as articulated in the United States Constitution, with special attention given to the freedom of speech granted in the first amendment.

According to a variety of reports, four men were arrested during Dearborn's recent Arab International Festival -- which takes place annually and on public streets -- for distributing copies of the Gospel of John written in English and Arabic.

The men were later released and told by Dearborn police that the city had a policy stipulating that during the Arab festival no literature could be passed out within a five block radius of the event. Anyone violating the policy would be subject to arrest. (Watch video of the arrest at http://ow.ly/23o48.)

The First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution specifically states that "Congress shall make no law ... abridging the freedom of speech." The Supreme Court has ruled that the liberty to express oneself is quite broad and few are the types of speech that fall outside its parameters.

The Court has stipulated that among the categories of speech that is not protected by the First Amendment are obscenity, defamation, fighting words, hate speech and speech that incites illegal action.

Speech that some may consider offensive is protected by the Constitution. After all, what is offensive to one person might be music to another person's ears. If you are going to live in the United State you will have occasions, depending on your sensitivity and standards, to be offended.

In order for the city of Dearborn to restrict the distribution of materials at any time, the literature would have to fall into one of the above categories. It is clear, at least to any reasonable individual, that the Gospel of John does not violate the standards thus far established by the Supreme Court.

If the First Amendment and the high Court's rulings are so clear, why has the city of Dearborn established a policy that so blatantly flies in the face of the Constitution?

Dearborn is home to one of the most densely populated Muslim communities in America. It is estimated that one-third of the city's 90,000 residents are adherents of Islam. I can only speculate, but it seems that Dearborn's leaders adopted the policy restricting the distribution of literature in an effort to protect its Muslim population from being offended by Christian literature.

There are some adherents to Islam that have shown a propensity in the past for reacting quite strongly to perceived offenses and threats to their faith.

When "The Satanic Verses," written by Salman Rushdie, was published in 1988 many Muslims believed the book contained blasphemous references to the prophet Muhammed. As a result, some Islamic leaders called for Rushdie to be killed.

The Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten published 12 editorial cartoons about Muhammed in September, 2005. Many Muslims were offended by the depictions. When newspapers in other countries carried the cartoons, Muslims around the world protested. Some demonstrations even turned violent.

More recently, the irreverent cartoon "South Park" that airs on the cable network Comedy Central censored an episode that depicted Muhammed in an unfavorable light. The network heads determined they did not want to risk offending any adherents of Islam.

In America, freedom of speech goes hand-in-hand with another liberty articulated in the First Amendment -- the freedom of religion. According to the Bill of Rights, the government cannot force or forbid any religion.

In the United States an individual is free to embrace the religion of his or her choice and to exercise the freedom of speech to spread its tenets. A person is also free to reject any and all religion and to even to voice objections to the pursuit of faith.

In a climate of unfettered religion and free speech there will be occasions for one to take offense. However, that is the price that Americans have long been willing to pay for the privilege to worship and speak freely.

Muslims in America -- and in Dearborn -- enjoy the same freedom of worship that all citizens enjoy. They also have the same right to propagate their faith through various avenues of speech. However, what they -- like all city residents -- do not have is the right to be free from offense.

It is shameful and a violation of the First Amendment for the city of Dearborn to curtail the free speech rights of Christians in an effort to appease its Muslim citizens and protect them from possible offense.

Freedom of religion was never designed to trump freedom of speech; it was designed to complement it. America is the land of the free, the home of the brave and a country where offenses that do not violate the Constitution must be tolerated.
--30--
Kelly Boggs is a weekly columnist for Baptist Press and editor of the Baptist Message (www.baptistmessage.com), newsjournal of the Louisiana Baptist Convention.

Amen Sister Kelly!

... do not presume to say "when logic fails". Nothing could be farther from the truth. You REFUSE to see the logic & have put your blinders on to the truth like every other lib.
I dont mind arguing with libs that have a cogent thought out response. Yours are full of hyperbole, conjecture & prejudice.

Its one thing to be biased (as am I) but prejudice is born of ignorance and to have your position vis-a-vis the legality of the Christians being there is either being naive, ignorant or disingenuous.
You must have been looking in the mirror as you typed this.

The men were later released and told by Dearborn police that the city had a policy stipulating that during the Arab festival no literature could be passed out within a five block radius of the event. Anyone violating the policy would be subject to arrest. (Watch video of the arrest at YouTube - Dearborn Police: Defending Islam against the Constitution.)

Had or has.... again I reiterate show me the law or ordinance in print, for if you cannot it is Prima Vara and they just made it up on the spot to pacify the muslums.....
Further If it does exist then storm the next city counsel meeting and have it revoked or start a recall as any such ordinance is not only an affront to every US citizen but is in violation of the first amendment of the US Constitution!!!

...they just made it up on the spot to pacify the muslums.... in violation of the first amendment of the US Constitution!!!
Hmmmm. I wonder what we could make up to pacify the militant Christians who seem to believe the 1st amendment of the Constitution gives them the right to harrass people with their proselytizing?

Hmmmm. I wonder what we could make up to pacify the militant Christians who seem to believe the 1st amendment of the Constitution gives them the right to harrass people with their proselytizing?

You're thinking of the Jehovah witness that go door to door,or maybe the Hare Krishna's that use to be at all the airports and buss terminals with their robes and dance....

watch the video they did no such thing, were there less then 3 minutes, passed out the grand total of one tract, and spoke with no one else....

The camera guy's only offense was to stand quietly 30-50 feet away from everyone and video, yeah he was a real problem too....

slap on the cuffs and confiscate that camera quick before someone figures it out, that they mean no harm and are trying to help save a bunch of misdirected woman beating, child molesting, people that follow the ranting of an iterate, child molesting drug user that was murdered by either his adviser or cousin to gain power and hence started a internal religious war that has killed hundreds of thousands of their own... In todays world Mohamed his advisor's, and anyone that spread this nonsense would be thrown in prison or executed for this type of crap!

These Christian guys must be terrorist... NO wait that is the Muslims that previously tried to blow up the WTC, did 911, bombed the USS Cole, blew up the embassy, commuter train, several planes, busses, cars, and have suicide bombed thousands of inocents, and preach death to the infidel..... NOT SOME CHRISTIANS THAT WERE QUIETLY AND PEACEFULLY HANDING OUT RELIGIOUS TRACTS....

Yes it's "only 10% of the Muslims that are terrorist" think of this, it is a whole lot less than 10% of the pit bulls that kill and maim people and they pass laws regulating them....

Would you knowingly go into any mall, theater or store if you knew that 10% of those there were actively planing on killing you and your family????

If 10% of any group does anything in this country were to do such an offense they are jailed litigated and ostracized into non existence, we police our own not sit quietly by and watch them do mayhem.

So figure it out yes we guarantee religious freedom but when over 100,000,000 people want you and anyone that is not of their faith dead it's time for a real quick reality check and it may be time to start playing cowboy and Muslim real fast....

You're thinking of the Jehovah witness that go door to door,or maybe the Hare Krishna's that use to be at all the airports and buss terminals with their robes and dance....
This religious zealotry is all different shades of the same color. Regardless of the faith or denomination, you just can't admit an inexpicable compelling urge to try and get everyone to think like you do. Rationalize any ridiculous explanation you like, whatever it is.... your're dreaming.

This religious zealotry is all different shades of the same color. Regardless of the faith or denomination, you just can't admit an inexpicable compelling urge to try and get everyone to think like you do. Rationalize any ridiculous explanation you like, whatever it is.... your're dreaming.

Here is my faith...

"Except For Ending Slavery, Fascism, Nazism and Communism, WAR has Never Solved Anything."

" U.S. Military- Certified Counselors to the 72 Virgins Dating Club."

"Stop Global Whining"

“US Military:/ No Finer Friend,/ No Worst Enemy”

“In the face of Terror and Murder / the call for Peace is NOT PATRIOTIC / IT'S COWARDICE”

"When In Doubt, Empty The Magazine"

"What Do I Feel When I Kill A Terrorist? A Little Recoil"

"Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Anyone Who Threatens It"

"It's God's Job to Forgive Bin Laden - It's Our Job To Arrange The Meeting"

"A Dead Enemy Is A Peaceful Enemy - Blessed Be The Peacemakers"

"God Guns Guts and glory"

Now use your spell checker, go read the rest of my previous post, and stop acting like a Democrat....

You have the right to free speech. You DO NOT have the right to not be offended.

Why dont you libs get that??? I guess I am showing my age but I remember when the libs would say "I dont agree with what you are saying but I will fight to the death for your right to say it". Those days are so long gone & its a shame.

Now not only do libs not want to hear you but will fight & willingly break the law (as evidenced by this case) to suppress your right to speak.
IMO you libs are a cancer to American society & surely killing it.

Sheldon, I think we agree on most of the ideals, except maybe one, and that woud be the method of the Christan madness expressed in this particular scenario. That's all.
You have the right to free speech. You DO NOT have the right to not be offended.
I'm not talking about being offended. Hell, if that was the case I wouldn't be on here taking my lumps from you guys all the time, now would I?

I'm talking about inciting violence in the name of Constutional rights. I'm talking about harassment towards that end. That is against the law, no matter how you slice it. This was nothing more than a thinly veiled slap in the face to the Muslim faith. If you can't see that, then you are truly blinded by your religion and dogmatic Constitutional trappings.

You obviously just don't understand the concept of respect. Have a nice day. :pleasantry:

::sigh::

I will give you props for "taking your lumps" as it were but I fundamentally disagree with you.

You are speculating that they were inciting violence. From what has been seen thus far nothing is farther from the truth. They were courteous & respectful. They were just preaching to a crowd that had no tolerance for opposing views whatsoever.

::edit:: I decided to remove an inflammatory comment.

::sigh::

I will give you props for "taking your lumps" as it were but I fundamentally disagree with you.

You are speculating that they were inciting violence. From what has been seen thus far nothing is farther from the truth. They were courteous & respectful. They were just preaching to a crowd that had no tolerance for opposing views whatsoever.
::edit:: I decided to remove an inflammatory comment.

Huge +1 on that.... I would love to know, since when is expressing a opposing view peacefully on public property a crime?

They were just preaching to a crowd that had no tolerance for opposing views whatsoever.
This is a very disingenuous argument that merely seeks to sugarcoat the troublemaker's intentions. There is no allowance for "tolerance" where diametrically opposed religious belief comes into play. You (meaning the militant christians on this site) of all people with the way you rant about this stuff here ought to know that.

This is a very disingenuous argument that merely seeks to sugarcoat the troublemaker's intentions. There is no allowance for "tolerance" where diametrically opposed religious belief comes into play. You (meaning the militant christians on this site) of all people with the way you rant about this stuff here ought to know that.

You really need to look up the meaning of militant, these guys not that in any way shape or form, now you want to see militant go look at the Muslims when they go for a religious march, they show up en mass, burn American flags, Burn people in effigy, cover their faces so no one can easily identify them.....

Yeah I know I sound like a Christian knight during the crusades but take a look at world history and you just may get a hint as to the reason for my hostility 10% of that many people is a heap of bad news just laying in wait to happen, just take a look at the riots in France when they gave them free reign of terror and the outcome....

So here you are criticizing a small group of a different faith for trying to inform others of a more loving, tolerant religion trying to be peace makers, thats kind of like yelling dirty stinking murdering jap over the table when the US was negotiating a treaty with Japan during WWII...

Yeah, we "militant Christians" are pretty damned intolerant, alright. Why, just yesterday I beheaded a couple infidels...

Yeah, we "militant Christians" are pretty damned intolerant, alright. Why, just yesterday I beheaded a couple infidels...

You too? That knife and sword practice I got in my Ninjutsu classes really comes in handy.:biggrin:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back