Arguing with a liberal about Open and Concealed Carry

dpickl00

Hello all, first post here. I am from Oklahoma, and as you probably know, the recent passing of the open carry law in Oklahoma is causing some liberals to get their panties in a wad...unfortunately, I carpool and work with a loud mouthed liberal who is completely anti-gun and hence, anti carry anything. I do not currently posses a Carry permit, but it is on my list of to-do's very soon. I, of course, am very pro-carry, and I got into a very heated argument with this liberal moron today about the carry status in Oklahoma. He rambled on about how every person that has a carry permit thinks they are John Wayne, and that he is now going to be gunned down in a hail of crossfire from an irresponsible open carrier. He has every typical liberal argument on hand, and appears as if he spends to much time on the internets reading liberal blogs. Therefore, I would like to turn to everyone in this forum for ammo (no pun intended) against his liberal remarks. I have told him over and over that every single person that I know who permit carries are the most responsible, law abiding citizens I know who have absolutely no intention of ever using their weapon. Can you guys and gals provide sound statistical data on concealed and open carry incidences, links to helpful websites, etc. I'm fairly educated on open and concealed carry in Oklahoma, but I would like to tap into the useful knowledge available through the users of this website. I need the good information that will shut this anti-gun liberal up. Thank you in advance for your help and insight.

Does he like to drink a cup of coffee in the morning? If so, share this with him. Drinking coffee comes with the responsibility of paying for your coffee. If he EVER abuses the responsibilty and fails to pay for his coffee, propose that he would NEVER get another cup of coffee in his life.

Same holds true for gun responsibility ...

sent from my sending device

Stop car pooling with him, or get your permit and start carrying your gun as you car pool with him. As you are riding with him (with your gun on your belt), ask him to point out how many people are getting killed by your gun. Ask him what his plan is if somebody decides to kill him. He will of course reply with his plan to call the police. So then simply point out that the police do not have to protect him and they cannot protect everyone, everywhere, but let him know that they will at least notify his family after his death and try to catch the person after the act.

Simply ask him what is keeping all the permit holders carrying guns now from gunning him down? The exact same people will be carrying exactly the same guns!!! The only thing that will change is that some will wear their shirt behind their guns instead of over their guns. That is the ONLY difference!

Also, since he doesn't like guns, he should insist that no guns be allowed to be hidden, that way he can know exactly where they are all and run away from them. Is it not, to him, more devious that a person feels the need to hide their guns like they....well...have a reason to hide it?

Stop car pooling with him, or get your permit and start carrying your gun as you car pool with him. As you are riding with him (with your gun on your belt), ask him to point out how many people are getting killed by your gun.

I like it. He just started riding two weeks ago and is already wearing everyone thin...he might just have to go. I think you are right about the permit, maybe this is a good excuse to just quit putting it off and go get it.

i'd just say that he should be more worried about the guys who have been running around with illegal guns since day 1, hidden on their bodies, than those who obtained them legally, and registered them with the authorities.

if that simple logic isn't enough, just be the bigger man and say politely you refuse to, or do not feel comfortable, discussing the topic with him.

Simply ask him what is keeping all the permit holders carrying guns now from gunning him down? The exact same people will be carrying exactly the same guns!!! The only thing that will change is that some will wear their shirt behind their guns instead of over their guns. That is the ONLY difference!

Also, since he doesn't like guns, he should insist that no guns be allowed to be hidden, that way he can know exactly where they are all and run away from them. Is it not, to him, more devious that a person feels the need to hide their guns like they....well...have a reason to hide it?

Absolutely! I actually said this exact same thing to him. I told him, " if I shared your point of view, I would be more afraid of cc rather than oc"...he got pretty quiet after that. Then he tried to come up with an even more scary scenario about how he lived in Chicago and was mugged at gun point by someone (i thought ironic). He stated that if it were me in that situation, I would have had my gun taken away from me and would have been shot...that's a hard argument to counter...of course it's always possible, but unlikely if you are aware of your surroundings. I ride motorcycles a lot, so I personally have a ridiculous amount of situational awareness, I feel like carrying would require the same amount of effort, as I'm sure everyone else on this forum will agree too.

One of the most basic truths about human nature, and one of the most difficult to learn, is that you can't change other people. You can't change their beliefs, you can't change their religion, you can't change their politics. The only thing you can change is yourself. You can change the way you react, you can change the way you see, and you can change the time and space you share with others.

To be honest, there really is no such thing as an "argument" with a liberal. "To argue" implies that it is a two-sided conversation.

While I agree, and I am typically very non-confrontational, I have to listen to his bs for 1.5 hours a day. I'm just not going to let certain things go.
Certainly 1.5 hours per day stuck in a car with a liberal motormouth is tough. I'd rather have my ear bitten by Mike Tyson than chewed by a liberal. Have you thought of shoving him out? First hard left and he's gone! :) Geez, if he'd had a gun he'd still be in the car!

I sometimes ended up laughing my head off at the many posts I read in between my breaks...one is this one above by BC1...These are the kind of memorable lines that brings a smile to my face almost all day and give me inspirations in the sequences for my stock illustrations, movies, adverts...thanks BC1...

Maybe suggest that him "being gunned down in a hail of crossfire" might be best for the world in general. That way he won't be comfortable talking to you anymore.

Ask him this question (you'll note that it is part of my sig);

"In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?"

I have done this quite a few times and it's rather fun to watch them squirm as they try to come up with an answer that does not show you that for this one time, they would want to have a gun in their hand.

As for his comment, "and that he is now going to be gunned down in a hail of crossfire from an irresponsible open carrier", ask him to relate some factual data to support his contention. Where has this happened anywhere else in the U.S. where, where he knows it or not, most of the states do not have laws against open carry. Ask him for facts to back up his argument.

But of course, facts are not in his interest.... emotional tirades are. I have been party to such arguments many times over the years, when I have allowed myself to engage such ignorance. But facts don't lie. States where shall issue has been passed into law have seen their violent crime rates drop appreciably.

And lastly, when he says he is going to be "going to be gunned down in a hail of crossfire", you could always respond with this;

"Good. Then we won't have to listen to you anymore." May sound cruel but sometimes it needs to be.

Absolutely! I actually said this exact same thing to him. I told him, " if I shared your point of view, I would be more afraid of cc rather than oc"...he got pretty quiet after that. Then he tried to come up with an even more scary scenario about how he lived in Chicago and was mugged at gun point by someone (i thought ironic). He stated that if it were me in that situation, I would have had my gun taken away from me and would have been shot...that's a hard argument to counter...of course it's always possible, but unlikely if you are aware of your surroundings. I ride motorcycles a lot, so I personally have a ridiculous amount of situational awareness, I feel like carrying would require the same amount of effort, as I'm sure everyone else on this forum will agree too.

Once again, ask him for examples where this has happened. (Hint: We do have one on record.... one in the entire nation)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back