Another reason to carry

Firefighterchen, Thanks for the research on dog bites, interesting stuff.

Outlaw, Had to laugh about your dog biting you by "accident"! My Shepard did the same thing,only mine got my hand! The look on his face was priceless! He stopped and crawled up to me on his belly asking for forgivness, which was a no brainer! Dogs are so cool!

I response to first letting a dog take a bite before you shoot.

I have dog allergies, no way I'm letting them latch on.
If a dog comes at me in an aggressive manner I will first yell at the dog to try and make him turn away. If he continues his aggressive behavior towards me I will shoot. If you are in fear for your life or in fear of great bodily harm, shoot.

I had a well trained German Shepard for 12 years. During that time she never bit anyone. She was a loving member of our family and was NOT agressive in any way. When a stranger came aruond she let us know, but did NOT attack. With ANY dog, any breed, it is all a matter of how they are raised and treated. As far as irresponsible owners who do NOT train their dogs properly and do NOT keep them restrained, thats another thing. I once had 2 large(90-100 pound) dogs accost me in my garage. They acted very agressive, growling and barking. I had my NAA 22 magnum and when one dog tried to bite I had it out to shoot. For some reason the dogs suddenly took off. A minute later a cop showed up as a neighbor had also been threatened. I gave the cop a description of the dogs and never heard anything more. NEITHER dog was one of the problem dog breeds mentioned earlier. It is how you raise the dog!

It's obvious some who feel the need to own dog breeds that are known to be and are classified by hundreds of US cities as vicious and will not recognize how dangerous these animals are to humans, smaller dogs and pets. Here's a news story from just last Friday.

FORT WORTH -- Two Fort Worth police officers shot and killed a "pit bull type" dog Friday that was charging an officer after attacking two utility employees and another person.

Police were called to the 6200 block of Truman Drive about 2 p.m.The attack happened when two Oncor Electric Delivery employees were at the house on a work order for an illegal power connection, police said.

While the employees were in the back yard with the dog, a resident came out and began arguing with the employees about disconnecting the power.

The argument escalated and the dog attacked one of the employees. The resident helped remove the dog from the worker's arm, but the dog attacked the other employee as he was climbing onto one of the trucks, police said.

The resident pried the dog's mouth open and used a metal pole to release its hold. A third man, who was walking down the street, was also bitten, police said.
Read more: Link Removed

Guess they should have had a knife or a stick. Hopefully the pit bull owners on this blog will not have their minds changed after their animals cause serious injury or death of someone. A gun does not have a brain and only does what the handler allows or asks it to do. A gun won't leave the house and attack someone without a pair of human legs to carry it. That's not true of animals, they have their own agendas. If guns could leave your house and kill a neighbors child on its own then I would be afraid of them also just as I am afraid of a human who intends me harm. That's why I carry, which was the point some seemed to miss.

I do agree that IF I am put in the position of self-defence I will act. I think nearly all of us would agree on that. But apart from that lets ban ALL dogs that have a reputation for being vicious, never mind just how tiny the percentage of dogs of that breed are a problem. Lets ban certain types of cars because of people being run over by that kind of car, never mind just how tiny the percentage of cars that are used that way. Lets ban spoons because they are used to help people get fat, never mind the tiny percentage of spoons being used that way. AND lets ban certain types of guns because they were used in a crime, never mind the tiny percentage of that type of gun used in crimminal activity. It is the irresposible owner at fault, NOT the dog, NOT the car, NOT the spoon, NOT the gun.

It's obvious some who feel the need to own dog breeds that are known to be and are classified by hundreds of US cities as vicious and will not recognize how dangerous these animals are to humans, smaller dogs and pets. Here's a news story from just last Friday.

FORT WORTH -- Two Fort Worth police officers shot and killed a "pit bull type" dog Friday that was charging an officer after attacking two utility employees and another person.

Police were called to the 6200 block of Truman Drive about 2 p.m.The attack happened when two Oncor Electric Delivery employees were at the house on a work order for an illegal power connection, police said.

While the employees were in the back yard with the dog, a resident came out and began arguing with the employees about disconnecting the power.

The argument escalated and the dog attacked one of the employees. The resident helped remove the dog from the worker's arm, but the dog attacked the other employee as he was climbing onto one of the trucks, police said.

The resident pried the dog's mouth open and used a metal pole to release its hold. A third man, who was walking down the street, was also bitten, police said.

Guess they should have had a knife or a stick. Hopefully the pit bull owners on this blog will not have their minds changed after their animals cause serious injury or death of someone. A gun does not have a brain and only does what the handler allows or asks it to do. A gun won't leave the house and attack someone without a pair of human legs to carry it. That's not true of animals, they have their own agendas. If guns could leave your house and kill a neighbors child on its own then I would be afraid of them also just as I am afraid of a human who intends me harm. That's why I carry, which was the point some seemed to miss.

I agree with your original point. I object to your misleading use of "statistics" and blatantly false claims. Dogs behave in very predictable ways based on the training they've received (or haven't received) and the situations their human handlers place them in. You can choose whether you want to believe that, but it's reality.

A properly secured dog is no more dangerous to a community than a properly secured firearm. It's the responsibility of the dog's owner to make sure that happens.

Every dog is potentially dangerous; I think that's the point most of us have been trying to make. Since criminals and negligent owners tend to prefer pit-bull types, you would expect to see more pit-bulls represented in bite statistics than others. Of course, that presupposes that you believe all the media hype.

Firefly:251599 said:

Again, this article can't say it was a pitbull, just a pitbull type, also known as a mutt. Probably was mostly Labrador or golden retriever. The article must be fake as well because pitbulls have "lockable" jaws that can't be opened with anything less than a 9mm, no way it happened three times just by prying hands. Maybe your article is full of Bologna?

The media had portrayed them to be vicious, when they are not. You soaked up that agenda like a sponge. Hundreds of cities have also banned certain firearms and forms of carry. They are not right, ill informed, and you are fitting right in with that crowd when it comes to your position on a certain breed of dog.

We did not miss your point. No one here said to not defend yourself from a dangerous dog. If your life is in danger, be it from a dog, cat, bear, human, etc, defend yourself. You sparked this side debate when you showed your biased misinformation on a breed of dog you know nothing about.

I hope you don't change your mind on firearms when it negligently kills a child or gets in the wrong hands and hurts someone innocent, because irresponsible owners let it happen.

Last post

I think I'm beginning to understand why there is such a huge problem with pit bull dog types (a term used to describe all American Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers and Staffordshire Bull Terriers-) and causing the majority of severe dog bite injuries and deaths in the US. Only a few of you get it. Arguments about guns, cars or spoons harming people is, quite frankly, absurd. My car, left in garage, my gun, left in the front yard or spoons or knives or bats or any INANIMATE object is just that...inanimate. It takes a human to use it to cause harm. None of these things are going to jump the fence, go down the road and attack children playing. Hundreds of cities in the US go to extreme effort to keep "Pit Bull type dogs" out. These cities and thousands of communities, such as mine, have passed laws specific to certain types of dogs for a reason. They do this usually after an incident or incidents involving specific type dogs. In my community it was a police officer being attacked by a pit bull type and severely injured before he shot and killed the dog. I am disappointed in my fellow gun owners who have expressed anything but support for my right to walk out of my house without being threatened, whether it is a criminal or a vicious dog and felt it necessary to attack me to defend themselves.

So you are saying because of a tiny tiny percentage of 'pit-bull type' dogs have bitten a human we need to ban them all. Thats like saying we need to ban a certain of gun because it was used in a crime, forgetting the 99.999% of that tpye of gun has never been used in any crime. You say hundreds of cities have adopted 'dog bans', to what effect? How many cities have done the same with the guns? ITS THE IRRESPONSIBLE OWNER,NOT THE DOG OR THE GUN!

The OP should meet my PB. He's way smarter than the Lab I had and 10 times more obedient. He doesn't have a mean bone in his body and even allows the neighbors cats to rub on his face. He's very aware of any noises around the house and will bark for protection, big chicken. He is young, about 10 months but I really don't have any fear of him becoming aggressive. He was bred by scumbags to fight but I saved him from that when he was 4 weeks old. If someone were to shoot my dog it would be the last mistake they ever made.

Firefly:251862 said:
I think I'm beginning to understand why there is such a huge problem with pit bull dog types (a term used to describe all American Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers and Staffordshire Bull Terriers-) and causing the majority of severe dog bite injuries and deaths in the US. Only a few of you get it. Arguments about guns, cars or spoons harming people is, quite frankly, absurd. My car, left in garage, my gun, left in the front yard or spoons or knives or bats or any INANIMATE object is just that...inanimate. It takes a human to use it to cause harm. None of these things are going to jump the fence, go down the road and attack children playing. Hundreds of cities in the US go to extreme effort to keep "Pit Bull type dogs" out. These cities and thousands of communities, such as mine, have passed laws specific to certain types of dogs for a reason. They do this usually after an incident or incidents involving specific type dogs. In my community it was a police officer being attacked by a pit bull type and severely injured before he shot and killed the dog. I am disappointed in my fellow gun owners who have expressed anything but support for my right to walk out of my house without being threatened, whether it is a criminal or a vicious dog and felt it necessary to attack me to defend themselves.

I don't think you will ever understand how great of a breed the APBT is. How the breed used to be an American icon and hero (you seem to ignore this), until the media got bored of dobermans and moved on to the APBT. How this breed is used by police, military, therapy, search and rescue, narcotic teams, and many more life saving services (you seem to ignore this too). How this breed is not banned or restricted in tens of thousands of cities. How the breed was bred for hunting, gaurding, herding, and a famiy pet, and not for fighting (ignored this as well). How the breed passes the American Temperment Test with one of the highest ratings (ignored...). The only things absurd is the hypocrisy of your position and your dissappointment. No one here said it was ok for anyone to be threatened, by anything, where you came up with that statement is absurd as well. Here's a piece of advice, if you don't want to feel like you're being attacked...stop attacking other peoples dogs, especially if you haven't done any research on them.

Im still waiting to hear that out of all the 'pit-bull type' dogs in the world what percentage of them are involved in human attacks. 1%? or mabye 1/100 of 1%? I also wonder how many 'pit-bull type' dogs have saved their master(mistress) or scared away a BG intent on theft or worse. I will bet more of these dogs have helped people than hurt them. Oh, dogs are smart so if they figure out how to get over a fence, BUILD A TALLER FENCE! A person is responsible to drive safely with his car, a person is responsible to handle his firearms safely, a person is responsible to keep his dog in a safe manner.

The media often portrays any dog bite to be a bite by a "pitt bull". A cop friend of mine told me of a story where he was called to a park due to a loose pitt bull... when he arrived on scene he found.............. a golden retreiver.

In any event, I'm not taking a bite from any dog. If standing tall and yelling at it dont work, it may get a boot to the nose, and it may unfortunately have to be put down with a sidearm.

I think dogs are some what like children. Just as a "bad parent" can send their kids in the wrong direction a dog owner can do the same. Almost all living things have a survival mechanism some are defensive some offencive. Even humans show traits of aggression. Some need be provoked and some don't need as much help getting to an aggressive posture. Its nature and very often upbringing. No matter the color, nationality, species or breed.

I was bit on the butt when I was eight years old by a German Sheppard so I have never cared for the breed all that much. Twenty years later I got a new neighbor who is an over the road truck driver and owns an aggressive German Sheppard. The dog got out of the fenced in yard when the neighbor was gone and cornered another neighbor child in their garage so her daddy shoots the dog with a .22 mag. The cops came but did do anything to either neighbor. I haven’t missed that dog once in three years. You got to love happy endings.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back