Another reason to carry

Training For People

Im a huge fan of Canines, had dogs growing up and thru adulthood. I was even a handler for a while to the most loyal yet aggressive Belgian Malinois to roam the earth, he would have taken a round for me and done anything for me, while he was in the patrol jeep he woud shake a mercedes jeep back and fourth to the point people would be nervous to come near me and that included my Fellow MP's, he was like a schizophrenic high on crack when a threat to me was perceived. During an almost ript at the NCO club he broke a tooth off into a suspect and the Army replaced it w. a titanium cap to even make him more intimidating, he became so close w me the kennel master wouldnt dare feed him due to him acting aggressive toward also so he became a chore even when i was off duty. I had 2 small kids and i didnt dare to brong him around them, Army regs at the time didnt allow you to take the dog hom anyhow but i used to stop home for meals and my wife didnt feel comfy w him either..

Anyhow, I have 2 Bullmastiffs currently and hve 5 kids, the 2 that wee young when i was an MP are both in College but we ha them young an devided to jave a few more once we were a lil more financially secure so i have a 4yo, 28months and 10 month ols, these Dogs are well trained and very close w my kids, that said they are animals w very poweful jaws and capable of damaging human tissue much like a firearm.

Understanding a dogs pyschology is key to training properly, understanding how a pack operates is also key to not allowing a "working" dog to dominate your household, and if you dont thats what will happen. A natural Alpha Male will sense weakness in a non trained individual and that is when a dog becomes a loaded weapon.. I always suggest to people to learn about the breed of a dog prior to purchasing a working dog, possibly taking a step further an learning about training onr also esp if you have small children in the house, my neighbor bought a Shepard w Chezch Police Bloodlines and has no training, although heis 2. Acres away other neighbors arent so lucky, on Xmas Eve i reacued a neighbors bro in law carrying a new born baby, I just so happen to be grabbin the mail at en of my driveway when i heard that Police Dog bark and saw him w his gate low in a sprintand yelled to the guy to stay calm and my demeanor and command voice stope tge untrained animal but he was barking and being submissive to me and the wife came and apologize that he got out when she opened the door, ive commenyed to her that she needs to take him to obedience achool or let me work w him a lil because she needs replacement souls to her shoes as he drags her on the lead as he dowsnt even wear a Choker as she said that is cruel ( again indictipn that they shouldnt own this dog let alone walk in public or let near people.. My dogs can be off the leed anytime w my wife or I or my older kids, and heel is commanded and they immediately circle you and stay at your left leg, My 4 yr old can be at a Dead sprint and command given he will almoat drop into a dwn stay position.. But aince being weened they have been taught they are dead last on the totem pole, eating last after all humans amd even something simple like sitting them on the stoop and allowing all humms in first and they are told to come in is psychological training,as much as we love them though they are anals and are capable of a bad day just as we are, that said we rarely leave them unsupervised w the 2 youngest, even though ive used Ham Bones and taken them away from them and nvr have they even so much a growledAt me, I then allowed my 4yo to tale there toys outta their mouths as well, currently my 4 yo daughter helps fees them as we both run our hands they tere dey food to reinforce who is responsible for the fresh kill they are eating. These are the types of meaaure to be taken towards a working dog that is becoming a family pet.. If i ever bring a new. Dog into the house ots always a puppy due to me knowing his hostory, i wouldnt adopt a working dog no matter how i perceived hoa diapoaition, its my way becuae if small kids around, as They leave the neat ill prolly adopt one or twp when they are gone..

Anyhow, a few family members of mine own a cpl pitbulls that look like they could be in a DMX video or a horror movie, kinda like they are on steroids, my brother has all pita and had one adopted that was abused that was the most unstable animal ive ever been around and i tried to help train hin but IT was my opinion he should eutjanize him as he was allowed around the other dogs at first and he attacked them both, my brothwr also was eventually bitten on the chin while tying his shoe and accidentally pulled hia german choker pinching jia ear and the dog nipped him requiring 40 stitches and that ia when i said to put him down and he said it was his fault, and the dog ahowed complete aubmission afterwards..

Anyhow he returned home one night from a family dinner, and the dog was layin in hia spot on the bes, ans his fiance tried to shue him aqay, he growled and his hair was standing up, my bro was brushin his teeth and hear the commotion and tried to correct the behavior by making him heel and down stay, he wouldnt and lunged at my brother and basically they fought, my brother had to choke the dog to death, and hia Fiance is a Veterinarian as well as a Veegam so she was upset and shaken by the episode, however her statement to the police she said the dog simply wouldnt quit and her fiance had to do this in self defense, my bro was upset too, and stated had he allowed the dog free, he cld se in his eyes and tell by the initial fight he put up that he definately would attack again if he let him go and he dis what he had to do.
I dislike when towns and cities ban an entire breed of animal due to a few bad applea and irresponsible pwnwrs, maybe ownership requirements should be complettion of a school on the bree as well as training certificmation mych like it is to own and carry a CCw in some states !

In response to:

I submit that when a poodle or Yorkie gets loose, no one notices or cares. So I don't think blame can fairly be placed on "those people with the big dogs." I'm sure there are about as many irresponsible owners of ankle biters.

I know more Poms that bite ppl than Pits. Just a thousand Pomeranian bits don't equal one Pit

I have thought about this type of scenario as well. But I would probably recommend allowing the dog to give you at least 'one good bite' before finally putting a cap in it's sorry butt. Looks much better on the police report i.m.o.

well, I gotta say that I think that a very bad idea. are you going to wait for a criminal to shoot you once before defending yourself? if I step out my door and dogs came at me, I would: 1 draw, 2 try to back them down, yell, stand full height shoulders back, etc. letting them know them know if they take another step they are dead. 3 they take another step they are dead. (I am not into pepper spray, because I am not so sure it will be enough and even if it is....a mean dog is a mean dog and it might be a kid or a little old lady next time) 4. if I know the owner i will let them know I shot their dog and please come get it before it starts to rot. if I don't, well then I get rid of it myself. no police report unless the owner is bend outta shape that their mutt didn't kill me but then the carcass is laying in a pool of blood on my front step so I think it should be fine.
I have had a gun out because of dog(s) four times. I have never had to go past 2, because at heart every dog is a coward. it does help I admit being big and having a scary voice, but I believe the main thing is that you let it know you will take it down if it comes at you.

I know this is my first post but I can relate here. My family owned pits and boxer bull dogs as far as I can remember and still do! But when I was around the age of 5 one of our dogs attacked me and drug me around really messing up my back. Now, that dog was put to rest. I still own pits and believe that these dogs still have the potential to attack as it is in their genes, but with the owner being responsible and raising this dog properly it may be less likely to happen. A majority of our pits are referred to as "Hog Dog's" because we've trained them to track wild boar and I've seen what these dogs are capable of. So I give these dogs great respect. With that said, if a dog I do not know, or if my own, came charging me in a vicious manner I will not give it a second thought and will put it down.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back