Alternate FMJ and JHP in your CC clips?

brock samson

I've heard of some guys and gals putting a FMJ round in between each JHP round in their clips.

Do any of you subscribe to this method?:triniti:

Well I don't carry anything that has a clip, but I used to alternate them in my magazines. After getting some higher quality firearms, I no longer needed to do this. My Taurus PT145 didn't want to feed much of anything, so I felt safer with alternating between JHP and FMJ.

I carry a Sig P239 in .357 Sig caliber (7 round mag). The magazine in the gun is loaded with jacketed hollow points, my second magazine alternates JHP with full metal jacket (first round being FMJ). The theory is that the first shots are likely to be fired in the open; if you get into the second magazine, it's likely that your aggressor is behind some kind of concealment or cover. The FMJ is more likely to punch through the concealment than a JHP bullet. That's the theory. In my mind, things have gone really ugly if you're into the second magazine. Ideally the first magazine will give you enough to either neutralize the aggressor or disengage. Remember to test fire the combination of FMJ/JHP you want to use. Some pistols prefer one ammo to another.

Flat-out terrible idea. Load your MAGAZINE with at the very minimum, JHP only. I'd prefer hollow points, but under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you ever carry FMJ's as defensive rounds.

If you alternate, every other round will pass through your BG and hit someone/something else.

Tim in StL.....your backup magazine should have the same rounds as your primary carry. For those of us not firefight-trained, I'd say 99% of the carriers out there don't know how to count their rounds-fired in a gunfight. The backup magazine is so you don't find yourself in the Dirty Harry situation (did I fire 5 or 6?). You might think you double-tapped, but in reality, your slide might be fixed back, with an empty feed ramp.

Let's get out of "Mall Ninja" mode and quit analyzing duck & hide firefight situations. The strong majority of confrontations are within 3-5 yards, with less than a magazine's worth of ammo discharged between the two adversaries.

I think this question has come up in almost every class I've taken. I personally have my primary and my backup mag fully loaded with hollow points, 185 or 230 gr golden sabers. A few reasons for this:

1. As was mentioned, must likely if you need to defend yourself its going to be within 7 yards and going to happen fast. After a few shots it's over. Just like you, must bad guys don't want to be shot either. So they are not going to hang around and try and fight it out with you.

2. If it does get to the point the BG takes cover. I'm not going to hang around trying to shot through cover. When he ducks for cover I'm using that time to retreat. Plus, if the cover is good enough to stop my hollow point a FJM is probably not going to penetrate either.

3. Extra mag. I carry an extra mag mainly as a spear to fix a malfunction. There is a better chance I'll need it to fix a malfunction then running my gun dry. So if I draw fire a shot and my gun jams or the mag falls out the bottom I can grab my spare and know it's loaded with the same rounds as my primary.

4. Alternating or loading them with different bullets you have to keep track of what’s been fired. Then when you may need a hollow point you have a 50/50 chance its actually the round you need.

All in all I like the keep it simple approach. I do know people that mix FMJs into the primary and spare mags but I just don't see the need.

Just my .02

Stay with one brand and one load. Fire enough of them so you'll know how your firearm shoots with the rounds you carry. Every 3 to 6 months fire off the ammo you carry and replace it with fresh ammo. Being prepared is knowing your firearm and the ammo you carry.

All of my magazines for my defensive firearms are loaded to capacity with my favorite JHP rounds when used for defensive purposes. The only time FMJ or other ammo goes into the magazines is when I'm practicing on the range or for whatever reason cannot use my favorite load.

I hate to have to point this out on an ongoing basis, but as a NRA Certified Instructor I feel I'm obligated to the firearms community to educate whenever possible. A MAGAZINE has a spring and follower that loads cartridges into the firearm. A CLIP is a non-mechanical device that simply holds cartridges together.

As firearms owners/enthusiasts, we should use the proper terminology whenever possible.

gf

Good point, new papa.

Let's get out of "Mall Ninja" mode and quit analyzing duck & hide firefight situations. The strong majority of confrontations are within 3-5 yards, with less than a magazine's worth of ammo discharged between the two adversaries.

In truth, the majority of defensive uses of handguns are at ten feet or less, with three shots or fewer fired (by the good guy/gal). That is one reason why I find revolvers so appealing. While police might get into the occasional drawn out firefight, I plan on letting my firearm cover my retreat. If I stop the threat, fine. If I simply get away from the threat, that is good, too.

Easy fellas. It's just a theory. I don't condone the practice, I was just curious if anybody does it.

Yes, yes, I know...mags not clips. What was I thinking!? Must have been the 102-degree fever.:biggrin:

In truth, the majority of defensive uses of handguns are at ten feet or less, with three shots or fewer fired (by the good guy/gal). That is one reason why I find revolvers so appealing. While police might get into the occasional drawn out firefight, I plan on letting my firearm cover my retreat. If I stop the threat, fine. If I simply get away from the threat, that is good, too.

+1
Very good and accurate post.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back