9MM VS 40 SW Caliber

One shot from either cal. will, if placed right kill any human. argument over.

So will one shot from a .22 should we all start carrying those?

22's have been successfully used in self defense shootings.

Caliber arguments are really silly. No handgun is a man stopper, proven by many instances where someone with an unsurvivable wound continues to fight for several minutes.

The caliber and the bullets most people carry will not cause an instant stop.
An example of an instant stop would be a bullet that penetrated the medulla. From frontal shot there maybe bone the deflects or stops the bullet.
Use a big caliber and a heavy bullet.

Let's quit guessing and see what the people that actually shoot people use and not just carry and talk about what is best. This list is up to date through May 2015. These are state police agencies not Mayberry where shootings are un heard of.

Alabama Glock 22/23 (.40 S&W)
Alaska Glock 22/23 (.40 S&W)
Arizona Sig P226 (.40 S&W)
Arkansas Glock 21SF (State Police), Glock 22 (S.P. Highway Patrol) (.45 ACP, .40 S&W)
California S&W 4006TSW (.40 S&W)
Colorado S&W M&P (.40 S&W)
Connecticut Sig P220 (.45 ACP)
Delaware Sig P229 (.357Sig)
Florida Glock 37 (.45 GAP)
Georgia Glock 37 (.45 GAP)
Hawaii (State Sheriff's Office, Honolulu) S&W M&P (9mm)
Idaho Glock 21 (.45 ACP) or Glock 22 (.40 S&W)
Illinois Glock 22 (.40 S&W)
Indiana Sig P227 (.45 ACP)
Iowa S&W M&P (.40 S&W)
Kansas Glock 21 (.45 ACP)
Kentucky Glock 35 (.40 S&W)
Lousiana Glock 22 (.40 S&W)
Maine HK USP (.45 ACP)
Maryland Glock 22 (.40 S&W)
Massachusetts S&W M&P (.45 ACP)
Michigan Glock 17 (9mm)
Minnesota Glock 22 (.40 S&W)
Mississippi Glock 22 (.40 S&W)
Missouri Glock 22 (.40 S&W)
Montana Sig P229 (.357Sig)
Nebraska Glock 22 (.40 S&W)
Nevada Sig P229 (.40 S&W)
New Hampshire S&W M&P (.45 ACP)
New Jersey Sig P229 Enhanced Elite (9mm)
New Mexico S&W M&P (9mm)
New York Glock 37 (.45 GAP)
North Carolina Sig P226(.357 Sig)
North Dakota Sig P229 (.357 Sig)
Ohio Sig P229/P226 (.40 S&W)
Oklahoma Sig P226R (.357Sig)
Oregon S&W M&P (.40 S&W)
Pennsylvania Sig Sauer P227 (.45 ACP)
Rhode Island Sig P229 (.357Sig)
South Carolina Glock 37 (.45 GAP)
South Dakota Sig P229 (.357 Sig)
Tennessee Glock 31 (.357Sig)
Texas S&W M&P (9mm) (currently having problems--under review) going back to .357 Sig rumor.
Utah Glock 22 (.40 S&W) (with approved options in 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP)
Vermont S&W M&P (.40 S&W)
Virginia Sig P229RDAK (.357Sig)
Washington S&W M&P (.40 S&W)
West Virginia S&W 4566TSW (.45 ACP)
Wisconsin Glock 22 (.40 S&W)
Wyoming S&W M&P (.40 S&W)

Which between a 9MM and 40 SW Caliber,do you personally prefer?What are the advantages of each over the other?How about as defense load,which between the 9MM and 40 SW,would you choose?.And why?Also,is it true that the 40 SW is not as reliable?
Thanks in advance.
Unles we cimpare the extremes, like 454 casual vs 22lr, all self defence amunition is practically the same eventhough not technically identical.

So my advice is shoot what you enjoy shooting so that you shoot often and carry often. The 'best caliber' is 'having one'.

I carry the M&P Shield in 9mm, loaded with 147g FMJ. These tend to run better than +p in my experience, and 9mm is a touch cheeper. Your milage may very.

Unles we cimpare the extremes, like 454 casual vs 22lr, all self defence amunition is practically the same eventhough not technically identical.

So my advice is shoot what you enjoy shooting so that you shoot often and carry often. The 'best caliber' is 'having one'.

I carry the M&P Shield in 9mm, loaded with 147g FMJ. These tend to run better than +p in my experience, and 9mm is a touch cheeper. Your milage may very.

147 grain FMJ? Really? What for?

You seriously carry 9mm FMJ rounds? Are you purposely going for minimum damage and maximum over-penetration?
Ahh the caliber war....let's agree to be friends after we've shared our opinions :)

There is no perfect round as there is no perfect gun. I shoot what I perform best with so that shoot often, stay sharp, and maintain confidence. Shot-placement is critical and a bullet through the heart will stop a perp even if it's going "to fast" or "over penitrates".

And should you carry a slower round, or hollow-points, or fragmentation.... should you miss and hit a bystander....well that's the same as going through your target and hitting that bystander. Trigger pull, grip, muscle-memory, stress management...so many more things go into placing a good shot, and those things require practice, so I say load what you like so you practice often.

In otherwords, don't over think it.

Ahh the caliber war....let's agree to be friends after we've shared our opinions :)

There is no perfect round as there is no perfect gun. I shoot what I perform best with so that shoot often, stay sharp, and maintain confidence. Shot-placement is critical and a bullet through the heart will stop a perp even if it's going "to fast" or "over penitrates".

Your bullet is going through the bad guy and through whoever or whatever is behind him for a mile or more, because it's an FMJ round that maintains a lot of energy and momentum when passing through a body while doing less damage to it.

For the record, I carry 9mm 147 grain JHP that expands to twice the original diameter, making a bigger hole and slowing the bullet down. That bigger hole results in almost 4-times more damage, i.e, a higher chance of hitting a vital organ. The slowdown makes the bullet less of a hazard when passing through a body.

I do not know of any instructor that recommends 9mm FMJ for carry, unless we are talking about defense against four-legged predators. In this case, I carry 10mm 220 grain hardcast. You do understand that a .380 ACP FMJ-FN makes more damage than a 9mm FMJ? .380 ACP FMJ-FN has the tendency to tumble.

As for your shot placement argument: You aim at center of mass (COM) and/or the head and shoot until the thread stops. At least one of those rounds needs to damage a vital organ to cause incapacitation though blood loss or central nervous system damage. A larger bullet has a larger chance of succeeding.

.... should you miss and hit a bystander....well that's the same as going through your target and hitting that bystander.

During my latest training qualification, I had a 100% hit rate out of 250 rounds fired. This included the 50-round qualification course of the local PD, as well as, more difficult courses. I don't equate expected FMJ pass-throughs with unintended JHP misses.

For the record, I carry 9mm 147 grain JHP that expands to twice the original diameter, making a bigger hole and slowing the bullet down. That bigger hole results in almost 4-times more damage, i.e, a higher chance of hitting a vital organ. The slowdown makes the bullet less of a hazard when passing through a body.
What brand do you proferr? I should try a box of that next time I'm at the range.

During my latest training qualification, I had a 100% hit rate out of 250 rounds fired. This included the 50-round qualification course of the local PD, as well as, more difficult courses. I don't equate expected FMJ pass-throughs with unintended JHP misses.
That's outstanding, good job :)

What brand do you proferr? I should try a box of that next time I'm at the range.

Federal HST or Gold Dot. Both are common service caliber brands, i.e., law enforcement agencies carry exactly these rounds. They pass the Link Removed, i.e., they are able to pass through an intermediate barrier a bad guy may be hiding behind (such as an interior wall or car door) and still have significant penetration into the bad guy. I attached the marketing posters for both brands with the ballistics numbers. You can find those numbers also here. I currently carry 9mm Federal HST 147 grain +P (which is not on the poster), but I also have the standard pressure 9mm Federal HST 147 grain. You can get those online at very good prices, such as at SGAmmo.com. They currently have the Link Removed for $34.95 per 50-round box. Note that the 147 grain +P round is not significantly snappier than the standard pressure 147 grain round, as both are soft shooting heavy-for-caliber rounds.

That's outstanding, good job :)

It is all about training and practice. Training in small class sizes helps to eliminate deficiencies, as the instructor can study your movements and tell you what you should do differently. Practicing is as important, especially practicing the correct execution of procedures.

Let's quit guessing and see what the people that actually shoot people use and not just carry and talk about what is best. This list is up to date through May 2015. These are state police agencies not Mayberry where shootings are un heard of.

I see what you're going for here but you are not taking into account the politics of purchasing in a large agency. They simply do not choose based on the same criteria you or I can... i.e. what performs and shoots best.

However, since you mentioned it:

Link Removed

I use 40SW because my gun won't shoot 9mm. :) I sometimes shoot 357SIG, but I can get 40SW a lot cheaper so I practice more with that.

rehash of a moot point

So will one shot from a .22 should we all start carrying those?

There are many people who carry .22 LR handguns. Many people carry what they are comfortable carrying, not what someone else has decided they should carry. A 500 S&W is a better man stopper than a 45 ACP, but no one whats to haul around the 500. The original discussion was 9mm vs 40 S&W, I think the discussion is moot when modern self defense ammunition is used.

Which between a 9MM and 40 SW Caliber,do you personally prefer?What are the advantages of each over the other?How about as defense load,which between the 9MM and 40 SW,would you choose?.And why?Also,is it true that the 40 SW is not as reliable?
Thanks in advance.
For self defense I prefer the 9 mm because of the difference in recoil thus accuracy also as far as reliability sw has more returns per year per model than highpoint a cheaper brand

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back