9MM VS 40 SW Caliber

I have both and I agree with what seems to be a recurring theme here. The 40S&W is a much harsher recoil, even when handloading it down (less charge). The 9mm is a perfectly suitable caliber and you can hotload it a bit if you need to. What it comes down to is if you can't hit exactly what you're aiming for then neither will do you any good. :) Personally, I prefer the 45ACP.

Which between a 9MM and 40 SW Caliber,do you personally prefer?What are the advantages of each over the other?How about as defense load,which between the 9MM and 40 SW,would you choose?.And why?Also,is it true that the 40 SW is not as reliable?
Thanks in advance.

I have had both but sold my .40 because the recoil hurt my hand. It was a SA XD and bery reliable. When i was playing football i broke my right thumb and had 7 pins put in it and the joint on my right is larger than my left. I got to where the recoil was just too painful. I switched to .45's and the recoil is noticeably softer. I can shoot it all day with no issues. I also have several 9mm's that i love to shoot and carry sometimes though i normally carry my 1911's. I use Hornady Crirical Duty for my carry rounds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I see what you're going for here but you are not taking into account the politics of purchasing in a large agency. They simply do not choose based on the same criteria you or I can... i.e. what performs and shoots best.

However, since you mentioned it:

Link Removed

Started out all nice like, and then BAM!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have both HK USP V1 9mm and Sig P250c 40sw and for SD I trust the 40 more than the 9mm but I carry my 9mm around my house and it's loaded with Underwood 124+P XTP. Away from home I carry my 40 loaded with Underwood 155 XTP.

The 9mm should get me to my MP15 loaded with SS109. :shout:

9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP can all be purchased in the 1911 frame so thats really not any concern.

I won't carry anything smaller than a 40 S&W for defense purposes.

I like the 40 S&W, 45 ACP, and 44Magnum, and shoot them regularly.

From my experience and knowledge, the 40 S&W has better ballistics above and below water as far as shooting further and flatter trajectory than a 9mm or 45ACP. 40 S&W can also be loaded with the same energy as a 45 ACP round, and have more carry capacity in a standard magazine than a 45 ACP.

That being said get a 40 S&W or 45 ACP or 44 Magnum, but don't get a 9mm....

Isn't 9mm cheaper? As they say, "don't fear the man with the $3000 gun, fear the man with $3000 worth of ammo."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't 9mm cheaper? As they say, "don't fear the man with the $3000 gun, fear the man with $3000 worth of ammo."
For most self defense purposes, one doesn't need $3000 worth of ammo. In fact, when you're talking the defensive rounds the price pretty much is the same. You do pay a slight premium on practice rounds.

Fear the person that can hit the target center mass, double tap each and every time with his or her preferred cal.
For most self defense purposes, one doesn't need $3000 worth of ammo. In fact, when you're talking the defensive rounds the price pretty much is the same. You do pay a slight premium on practice rounds.

9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP can all be purchased in the 1911 frame so thats really not any concern.

I won't carry anything smaller than a 40 S&W for defense purposes.

I like the 40 S&W, 45 ACP, and 44Magnum, and shoot them regularly.

From my experience and knowledge, the 40 S&W has better ballistics above and below water as far as shooting further and flatter trajectory than a 9mm or 45ACP. 40 S&W can also be loaded with the same energy as a 45 ACP round, and have more carry capacity in a standard magazine than a 45 ACP.

That being said get a 40 S&W or 45 ACP or 44 Magnum, but don't get a 9mm....

Flatter trajectory? At what distances are you planning to shoot at an imminent threat with a handgun and anticipate to still hit it?

44 Magnum is for four-legged predators and I would only carry one in conjunction with a higher-capacity semi-auto handgun for the two-legged kind while hiking in the woods.

But when you double tap don't hold a tight group, spread them out a little.

I am not sure what your point in this post is. When training with paper targets, tight groups indicate that you are shooting too slow, while big groups indicate that you are shooting too fast. However, in an actual self defense situation, you have no idea what your group size is. You pick a target (COM or head) and shoot at it. You won't see were your hits go. You won't even see that you missed. You will just see the reaction of the person you are shooting at.

Howdy,

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I am not sure what your point in this post is. When training with paper targets, tight groups indicate that you are shooting too slow, while big groups indicate that you are shooting too fast. However, in an actual self defense situation, you have no idea what your group size is. You pick a target (COM or head) and shoot at it. You won't see were your hits go. You won't even see that you missed. You will just see the reaction of the person you are shooting at.

You spread your shots out so you have trauma over a larger area.

Heck, if you put 4 rounds through the same hole you will not do as much damage as if the there all a couple of inches apart. More holes to bleed from.

Paul

Howdy,

Heck, if you put 4 rounds through the same hole you will not do as much damage as if the there all a couple of inches apart. More holes to bleed from.

Paul

It's not so much the size of the hole, but where you put the hole that counts.

Howdy,

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Paul

My point being:

However, in an actual self defense situation, you have no idea what your group size is. You pick a target (COM or head) and shoot at it. You won't see were your hits go. You won't even see that you missed. You will just see the reaction of the person you are shooting at.

Not a single reputable firearms instructor teaches the concept of "spreading your shots out so you have trauma over a larger area" for self defense. Sorry, but that's paper punching talk from the casual target shooter. Also, putting any 2 handgun rounds through the same hole in a self defensive shooting is improbable and only happens in movies and TV shows.

Howdy,

Paul

This statement is ridiculous. In a real fight (and I'm beginning to suspect you wouldn't know anything about that) your target isn't going to stand still and let you place your shots

I have both
Shield 9
M&P FS .40
I love shooting both of them, if the .40 was a compact I'd probably carry that over the shield,
but it's a FS so it's my HD/range gun.
I think I shoot the shield a little bit better than the .40 but only because I shoot the shield a lot more
now ,since it's become my EDC. At longer range targets my .40 kills the shield.

Which between a 9MM and 40 SW Caliber,do you personally prefer?What are the advantages of each over the other?How about as defense load,which between the 9MM and 40 SW,would you choose?.And why?Also,is it true that the 40 SW is not as reliable?
Thanks in advance.

Given, this guy hasn't posted (or even logged in) in going on 3 years I'd say he must have gotten an answer he was satisfied with

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back