9MM VS 40 SW Caliber

Secretariat

Which between a 9MM and 40 SW Caliber,do you personally prefer?What are the advantages of each over the other?How about as defense load,which between the 9MM and 40 SW,would you choose?.And why?Also,is it true that the 40 SW is not as reliable?
Thanks in advance.

I prefer the 9mm due to more rounds in the magazine. I see no advantage of the 40 over the 9, other than the round count stated earlier. I own both calibers and am not biased toward either one.

Also have both. Same model in both the .40 and 9mm. For some reason I tend to be a little more accurate with the 9mm. Not a pro here by any means, but I would just pick one and practice, practice, and practice some more.

Have never heard anything about or seen a difference in reliability between .40 and 9mm. Who knows what that's about.

Welcome to the forum.

Between those two
9mm
40 was a sales gimmick. They wanted high capacity over the awesome 45 and more power than a 9.
IMHO if you need high capacity to hit your target, go for the 9mm
If you practice regularly and can hit the target, get a 45.

Quit messing around and just stay with the proven 1911 45 ACP

You realize the 9mm is in fact 3 years older than the .45 and the .40 has proven itself just fine being the most commonly carried cartridge by US police forces today... Right?

9mm is highest caliber I go with a pistol. .40 has to much recoil. That being said I have a .32 acp and a .380 acp for carry/home.

:dirol:

Between those two
9mm
40 was a sales gimmick. They wanted high capacity over the awesome 45 and more power than a 9.
IMHO if you need high capacity to hit your target, go for the 9mm
If you practice regularly and can hit the target, get a 45.

You really need to read the history of the creation of the caliber that became the .40 S&W.
If you seriously think it was created as a "gimmick", you have no idea about the round, nor what you are talking about.

Sent from behind enemy lines.

I've only shot 9mm, but it's a good load, not too expensive and getting easier to find. From what I understand, shot placement is more important than caliber, so whichever one you are comfortable with is best for you. A lower recoil load also makes it easier to get back on target for subsequent shots if the first one is not enough.

Which between a 9MM and 40 SW Caliber,do you personally prefer?What are the advantages of each over the other?How about as defense load,which between the 9MM and 40 SW,would you choose?.And why?Also,is it true that the 40 SW is not as reliable?
Thanks in advance.
Arm yourself with a Glock 19 (or equivalent) with 124 gr. JHP +P+ and two spare mag, and you will be as well armed as anyone can be with a handgun. IMHO the. 40 is an attempt to reinvent the. 45, and has greater muzzle blast and recoil than either the. 45 or the 9mm.

Here: Handgun Cartridge Power Chart - Condensed Version

You can do your own research rather than depend on the opinions of people that are biased toward the firearm that they carry.

As far as reliability, I have no idea why you would think the .40 is not reliable. You do realize police departments have gone away from the 9mm toward the .40 and in some cases the .45. I'm not making a case that .40 is better by this statement, just that it is a reliable round as is the 9mm is reliable and the .45 is reliable.

But study the ballistics chart... it tells you muzzle velocity, muzzle energy, penetration, etc. You'll get the data you're looking for. If you don't understand something from that chart, feel free to ask.

You really need to read the history of the creation of the caliber that became the .40 S&W.
If you seriously think it was created as a "gimmick", you have no idea about the round, nor what you are talking about.

Sent from behind enemy lines.

Here's a good link for anyone to read that deals with the development of the .40 S&W cartridge. It certainly wasn't designed to get something between a .45 and a 9mm, it was to duplicate the 10mm but put into a firearm the size of a 9mm.

.40 S&W cartridge | The Loadout Room

9mm, hands down. I have owned and carried .22, .32 acp, 380, 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 acp, .38 Special, 357 Mag & 44 Mags. The 9mm holds more rounds, typically, has lower recoil, is capable of 'combat' accuracy or better, in days gone by ammo was plentiful & inexpensive and with wise selection of defense ammo, as or more capable of most other calibers.
.22 & .32 acp are marginal for defense, especially in the small guns that most people buy in those calibers. .380 is slightly better, but not much. .38 Special 'snubbies' are difficult to shoot (as are most double action revolvers that are not match guns). All but the 9mm & 40 tend to suffer in the magazine capacity area. 357's kick pretty hard for the average person & the 44 is worse & some would say overkill.
So, a 9mm semi auto with standard (high) capacity mags, loaded w/ high quality, reputable hollow point ammo is about as ideal as one can get.
That being said, if I was mag cap. or ammo restricted (<10 round, no HP, etc.) I might consider another gun, probably a 45 acp or 38/357. (or just carry a crap load of extra mags :biggrin: )

I personally carry a Glock 19 &/or 26 loaded with Gold Dot 115 or 124 gr in either non +p or +p ammo (depending on availability). My backups are one or more of G26, LCR357, LCR38, LCP380. Again, they are loaded w/ Gold Dot ammo.

define "too much"

9mm is highest caliber I go with a pistol. .40 has to much recoil. That being said I have a .32 acp and a .380 acp for carry/home.

:dirol:

The best caliber to use for self defense is the largest caliber you can shoot accurately. I use a .40 because I like it. It is true that the .40 has a 'snappier' recoil than the 9MM but less than .45. My advice is to try different caliber as well as different manufacturers to find what works best for you.

Ditto jecole and wolf, especially the shoot accurately part. I have all three and my usual concealed carry gun is a Kimber .45. My duty gun is an HK .40. One of my favorite carry guns is a 9mm CZ 75D compact. Put high quality hollow point self defense rounds and maybe make them +P and they're all very lethal if center of mass is hit. I know "stopping power" (check wolf's recommended charts) is a nebulous concept but try hitting a few steel targets with all three and I think you'll find the bigger the caliber - of these three - the more thwack it gives. On a duelling tree, the 9mm sometimes barely moves the plate, the .40 swings it well, and the .45 thumps it so hard sometimes it bounces back. Still, the 9mm is pleasant to shoot, has reasonably priced ammo, conceals well, and can be deadly. I shoot the 9mm most because of the cost.

The .45 was a manstopper from day one.
The 9mm was a wounder, at best.
If I had to choose, I would take the .40.
I enjoy the 9mm because bullets are less expensive.
I enjoy the .40 because it has always done what I asked of it.
These questions are rather meaningless, since none of us have much experience with bullet performance when the SHTF.

Chevy or Ford? Blonde Or Brunette? Repub or Dem?

>

Anyone seriously seeing one round as God, and another round as the Antichrist, is watching far too much television or worse yet, video games.

>

Get a good gun, and get good ammo, train with it like your life depends on it, and pray you never have to use it.

>

What do I use? (not that it matters) I am partial to 10MM. My second choice is 10MM shorts (.40 S&W) . I also like and train with .357 Sig. 9MM is my 4th choice. .45 ACP? Too limited in capacity.

>

Capacity is what I train for. I don't want 5 round mags in my AR's, and I don't want 6 round mags in my side arms. Disorder and civil unrest, when it comes, travels in mobs.

>

I have 20 & 33 round mags for my Glock 10MM & 15 & 22 round mags for my Glock .40 S&W and Glock .357 Sig, and large mags also for my Glock 9MM.

I personally prefer the 9mm, I myself am more accurate with this weapon and support the more ammunition per magazine compared to the 40 sw

Well I have jumped back on forth on the subject of "proper caliber" for a long time and have come to the conclusion that (personally) I prefer the 9mm. The 9mm has a higher magazine capacity than 40 S&W or 45acp and is generally a much smoother shooter than either round. While it may not always be popular to say so the fact is that all three of these service calibers perform well enough that neither one is "better". It all comes down to personal preference.

Since I'm not going into combat, I really don't see a need for a lot of cartridges.
To me, you have the time-proven .45 Auto and the time-disproven 9x19. With the .40, you have a balance of most of what is good about the the .45 in a package that gives most of the good about the 9x19.
That being said, I have never warmed up to the .40 and carry a .45. If 7-14 rounds isn't enough, 100 more rounds probably isn't going to help.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back