9MM VS 40 SW Caliber

Those extra years have shown that while shot placement still reigns kings the 9mm far too often over penetrates without delivering all of its energy into the target.

Please... support that statement with some evidence.

no, it doesn't expand MORE at lower velocities. where did you get THAT idea. ? :) what makes a hp expand is fluid filled tissues are forced into and then out of the nose cavity, and that "peels back" the lips of the cavity. lower velocity lowers the chance of this happening. all it takes for your 900 fps to be the fact is the very common 4", as vs 5" barrel. shoot some animals with your .40, and then look at the wound channel. notice the lack of evidence of expansion of the jhp. you need 1000+ fps and you aint got it.

185 gr, 950 fps .45's were never considered to amount to a hoot, but SOMEHOW, a smaller diameter (ie, less resistance in flesh) at LESS velocity is SOMEHOW just wonderful. similar to how the 850 fps, 158 lhp .38 always was poor, but SOMEHOW, a 147 gr JACKETED (ie harder to expand in flesh)lighter, same diameter, same velocity 9mm jhp is whoopeedoop! :) Again, shoot some critters with it and you'll see exit wounds that look just like entrance wounds, and you'll see said critters run off with chest hits, too. for 50 ft-50 yds. Very unimpressive.

185 gr, 950 fps .45's were never considered to amount to a hoot, but SOMEHOW, a smaller diameter (ie, less resistance in flesh) at LESS velocity is SOMEHOW just wonderful. similar to how the 850 fps, 158 lhp .38 always was poor, but SOMEHOW, a 147 gr JACKETED (ie harder to expand in flesh)lighter, same diameter, same velocity 9mm jhp is whoopeedoop! :) Again, shoot some critters with it and you'll see exit wounds that look just like entrance wounds, and you'll see said critters run off with chest hits, too. for 50 ft-50 yds. Very unimpressive.

Where in the world do you shoot animals all day and get away with it? There are better ways in testing ballistics without shooting a living animal. Jesus...

Sent from my hand-held mind distractor

I prefer the 9mm, and carry a Springfield Arms XD9, or occasionally a Canik55 Stingray. Manufacturers produce an enormous variety and number of 9mm handguns to choose from. I find 9mm to have sufficient ballistic energy (especially the self-defense loads), which - with the XD9's 16+1 capacity - provides (to me) an acceptable amount of "stopping power."

Of course, there are Ballistic "differences" between the 9mm, .40, and .45 bullets, but that difference is not huge (at least, not as a percentage). For instance, the relative average size of hollowpoint expansion (0.63" for 9mm, 0.68" for .40 cal, and 0.74" for .45 cal ... essentially a "range" from 5/8" to 3/4") I consider to be enough - even the low-end 9mm - for self-defense purposes. Especially when coupled with (most) 9mm handguns' extra magazine capacity.

9mm ammunition is generally available, at usually-affordable prices. Recoil in any medium-sized or larger pistol is easily controllable, which improves accuracy and even makes range practice more enjoyable.

Which between a 9MM and 40 SW Caliber,do you personally prefer?What are the advantages of each over the other?How about as defense load,which between the 9MM and 40 SW,would you choose?.And why?Also,is it true that the 40 SW is not as reliable?
Thanks in advance.

Use whichever you prefer. the reliability comes from some handguns, particularly subcompacts that were designed on a 9mm frame using the same frame for .40 cal and breaking after use because .40 is an over-pressure round and causes a bit mroe wear to the firearm. Any time you go up in power/energy, you're going to cause more wear of course. If you want a reliable .40, just buy one that was designed from the ground up to be a .40 (ie, designed with the .40 cal in mind, and not designed as a 9mm, then later upgraded to a .40 for marketing reasons)

In regards to my preference, I use a 9mm. The terminal ballistics of anything from 9mm to .45ACP is nearly identical, so I opt for a less snappy recoil, and more rounds in my mag (9mm usually allows for one or two more rounds in the same gun versus chambering for .40)
9mm NATO is also a universal round, meaning I can find 9x19mm anywhere on Earth just about. Not so much the case with .40S&W.

I am so tired with this debate...

So I went and bought a SA XD .45..

Now I don't have to worry! I have the common calibers covered (.380, 9mm, .40 S&W and .45!).

Sent from behind enemy lines.

I own glock 19, 23, & 26 (ok, last one is my wife's, not mine). I find myself to be more accurate on my double tap with the 9 mm over the .40 (19 and 26 beat the 23). Tomorrow I have a buyer for the 23 along with 600 rounds of ammo and 4 magazines. I think I'll either buy myself a 26 of my own or I've actually been considering a sig with the DAK trigger.

For what it's worth I've never had a problem with reliability using either 9 mm or .40. I have no idea who started the rumor you heard about unreliable .40's but it is just flat out wrong.

Last edited:
I have both and I tend to be more accurate with my .40 but I like them both equally. I really think with the different load options the difference is more personal pref.

I also own both. The only advantage the 9mm has is that the magazine will hold more rounds and ammo is less expensive. My Springfield 40 S&W is just as comfortable to shoot and more accuate than my Glock 19. Reliability depends on the make and model. I've never heard anyone say the 40 S&W is not as reliable as a 9mm. The 40 S&W carries takes an edge on energy. I could shoot my 40 S&W all day, 10 minutes with a tiny .380 is 5 minutes too long. I think the biggest difference between the 9mm and the 40 S&W boils down to personal preference. 45 shooters like to say they carry a 45 because they don't make a 46 - but they do make a 50, I say go for it.

I am so tired with this debate...

So I went and bought a SA XD .45..

Now I don't have to worry! I have the common calibers covered (.380, 9mm, .40 S&W and .45!).

Sent from behind enemy lines.
Where is that venerable .22 rimfire?

Nice choice on the SA. I have the XD-S .45, and would like the XDm for a range/nightstand gun, if I were rich.

My first handgun is the Ruger SR40C. Before i purchased mine. I shot a variety handguns belonging to a friend. I shot his .38, his LC9, his SR9 and his SR40C (Yes he is a Ruger Fanboy and proud of it). The intention he had was to introduce me to firearms. It really did work. So at the age of 62 I became enamored with guns. What surprised him was m choice of caliber that I liked the best. And that was the .40S&W. After the initial shock of having my thumb bent backwards from the gun flip. I think i caught on to the basics fairly quick... And to be honest i was getting a RUSH shooting the .40 (I was also getting decent gropings on the target). So here i am a .40S&W fan. I am thinking of a second handgun early 2014. I would like a 4" barrel DA/SA and leaning towards the FNX 40. I don't want to have to start purchasing two kinds of ammo. But as they say, never say never!

So at the age of 62 I became enamored with guns.

:)

This is me, plus 20 years!

I grew up with limited exposure to firearms and, as an adult, had reoccurring nightmares about guns (falling apart, not firing when the trigger is pressed, etc while being attacked) until my stepdad talked me into going to the range. ..

Now I am more of a gun nut than him LOL

Have had a 9mm sub-compact, and now carry a 40 compact. Liked the 9 but can shoot the 40 more accurately.

I would be careful suggesting +P+ in some 9mm's. Not all brands will handle them. All brands, even if the +P+ is approved by the manufacturer, will wear out quicker. Even H&K says not to use +P+.

If you want a proven 9mm SD round, go with Winchester PDX1 147 gr., or 40 S&W PDX1 165 to 180gr. I like the 165 gr because of the higher velocity. Penetration has proven excellent for the 165.

As for 9mm vs 40 S&W, either is fine. I prefer the 40, but well placed shots counts most whatever you use.

Arm yourself with a Glock 19 (or equivalent) with 124 gr. JHP +P+ and two spare mag, and you will be as well armed as anyone can be with a handgun. IMHO the. 40 is an attempt to reinvent the. 45, and has greater muzzle blast and recoil than either the. 45 or the 9mm.

Keep in mind, that right around the time the 40 became popular, the assault weapons ban was in effect. 10 rounds of 40 vs 10 rounds of 9mm makes one think differently. Full size 9mm firearms at that time were not selling very good, because of that. When we get a ban again I predict the 9mm guns will take the biggest hit in sales, if history is any indication. And it is just a matter of time before it happens again. Of course the 40 can be a real handful in a compact firearm. Keep in mind too, that a 9mm failure led up too the birth of the 40 in it's present state. Bullets are hopefully a lot better than they were 20 years ago. Also a result of the above mentioned failure.

Reading a whole thread like this one, I wonder if any of us, went to the same training seminars, and watch the same videos, read the same books. Not a chance. lol

How is it we all come to such different opinion? Amazing.

Ill pick on one of you. How is it possible to shoot a .40 with more accuracy than a 9mm? What is the mechanical means to pull that off? Same paper targets, same everything, and the only change is you shoot better with .40? CUT IT OUT! lol

I think where we go astray, is we put on the teachers hat too fast, and retire our student caps. I think we are all guilty of not continuing our education into our adult lives.

I sold all my 9mm's and now use a Bersa Thunder .32 acp and a Kel Tec P-32 for carry and home. I can shoot them accurately and follow up shots are easy. I know, you guys have the big knock down power, but a double tap of .32 acp in the chest will stop someone.
:dance3:

I started with .40 S&W . But, after switching to 9mm my accuracy and the speed I can get back on target for follow up shots is so much better. 9mm is my future. But I'm not giving up my .40s

Sent from my SM-G900T using USA Carry mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back