Homeowner charged with attempted murder.

The_Outlaw

~The Dude Abides~
Homeowner charged with attempted murder after shooting trespasser.

In a story some are already saying bears resemblance to the Trayvon Martin case, a homeowner in New Orleans has been arrested and charged with attempted second-degree murder after he shot an unarmed teenager. The homeowner thought that the teen was trying to break into his home.
14-year-old Marshall Coulter is in critical condition after being shot in the head by 33-year-old Merritt Landry at around 2 am Friday morning. Police, the New Orleans Times-Picayune reports, said that the teen was shot near Landry’s car. Friends told the outlet that Landry’s car was behind the gate.
According to the arrest warrant, viewed by the Times-Picayune, Landry said he approached Coulter from his front yard, near his car. But as he drew closer, he said the boy made a “thwarted move, as if to reach for something.” Fearing it was a weapon, Landry shot him once.

Link Removed

Question;
What was this supposedly 'innocent kid' doing trespassing inside of someones fenced in yard at '2 am' in the darkest hours of the night...
Playing peek a boo or playing "real life" grand theft auto on other people's private property?

This punk was clearly up to no good imvho.
His own brother even admitted that; "He would steal" & that "He was a professional thief for sure".

Play stupid games = Win stupid prizes.

Here's more on the story with a picture of the "innocent boy".
Looks more like a trouble making 'gangsta thug' to me.

Link Removed

Well his family said he never used a gun on his burglaries... I can't believe the homeowner didn't know that, geeeez. Seriously people, get to know your criminals in your area, and which ones go armed, that way you won't end up in something like this. If a burglar that usually goes armed, comes into your property THEN you can use deadly force. But those that do not go armed, I guess you will hope they didn't change their mind recently and buy a weapon, or possibly pick up some pipe or large brick, stick or another item on your property to bash your head in, or maybe they just connect with one good swing knocking you out or to the pavement where they can continue to beat your head into the pavement.... come on people, get to know your criminals. Hey, I have an idea, why doesn't each neighborhood throw a big party called "COME OUT AND GET TO KNOW YOUR LOCAL CRIMINALS DAY" They can introduce themselves, and maybe present resumes and what weapons they are familiar with..... On to a more serious note, I always love how the media makes so much of the criminal being "unarmed" Does that mean the kid only had legs? A fist is a weapon... and anything that person can pick up, but short of being a mind reader, who do you know, in the dark, at 2 am, whether someone has a weapon or not?

Here's more on the story with a picture of the "innocent boy".
Looks more like a trouble making 'gangsta thug' to me.

Link Removed

2am, jumped the fence into my yard, and have a criminal history? You better not make a move...only takes a second before you are the victim... Maybe young thugs will start thinking instead of acting up...put them on notice...

David Coulter (the older brother) said "I want to see the system do its job for once."
~
Which apparently it wasn't... "He would steal -- he was a professional thief, sure,"

2am, jumped the fence into my yard, and have a criminal history? You better not make a move...only takes a second before you are the victim... Maybe young thugs will start thinking instead of acting up...put them on notice...
And then you're Zimmerman. And how do you know he has a criminal record before you shoot him? Death is an inappropriate penalty for the crime of trespass. And since he wasn't caught burglarizing the home his past history of burglary is inadmissible.
People... get a damn alarm system. It's cheaper than a lawyer.

And then you're Zimmerman. And how do you know he has a criminal record before you shoot him? Death is an inappropriate penalty for the crime of trespass. And since he wasn't caught burglarizing the home his past history of burglary is inadmissible.

And then you're a potential 'Victim'.

And how would you know that the trespasser 'does not' have a criminal record?
How would you know that the trespasser 'is not' armed with some sort of a weapon in the dark?

Self-Defense 'is' an appropriate response to the 'criminal activity' of trespass/burglary... especially at night!

And since the 'offender' does indeed have a history of trespassing/stealing from people in his past, his criminal history 'should indeed' be admissible!

People/Parent's...Get a damn clue on how to properly raise these wanna-be-gangsta children...
It's far less dramatic than burying them or incarcerating them imvho.

And then you're a potential 'Victim'.

And how would you know that the trespasser 'does not' have a criminal record?
How would you know that the trespasser 'is not' armed with some sort of a weapon in the dark?

Self-Defense 'is' an appropriate response to the 'criminal activity' of trespass/burglary... especially at night!

And since the 'offender' does indeed have a history of trespassing/stealing from people in his past, his criminal history 'should indeed' be admissible!

People/Parent's...Get a damn clue on how to properly raise these wanna-be-gangsta children...
It's far less dramatic than burying them or incarcerating them imvho.

Unfortunately this highlights the ambiguous nature of self-defense situations and the downside of being inherently reactive. This is not like Zimmerman at all in that this does smell a bit preemptive in nature.

Unfortunately this highlights the ambiguous nature of self-defense situations and the downside of being inherently reactive. This is not like Zimmerman at all in that this does smell a bit preemptive in nature.

I somewhat agree with you...but I must ask this question;
Are not LEO's 'inherently reactive' & more than just a 'bit pre-emptive' in their nature"?

Why are law abiding civilians always held to much higher standard's and 'microscopic-scrutiny' whenever it comes to self-defense scenarios but LEO's are seemingly not held to these same standard's? Where's the 'fairness' in all of this?

On another note;
Would you or I have 'preemptively' shot at some shadowy figure standing at a distance behind our fence at night?
Probably not...
But we were not there on that night in question and therefore we cannot 'accurately critique' the homeowner's actions.

I most likely would have illuminated the trespasser with my flashlight and yelled out "Who are you!? What the hell are you doing on my property?" Now, if the trespasser simply fled from the scene, I would not give chase and I would immediatly notify the police.
But if the trespasser decided to approach me in a menacing manner in the darkness of night with very limited time & visual's of the trespasser's hand's, then I would most assuredly be prepared to to use deadly force because I would have to assume that the trespasser is a serious threat to me and mine in that moment.

I'd be holding the individual at gunpoint. Shoot only if it is the last option in the world. If he was standing in my home...may be a different story. But case by case...people shouldn't be "letting the puppy out" sort to speak and calmly assess the situation before you find yourself neck deep in a whole lotta $hit by panicking and letting lead fly. That's a dangerous 'law abiding citizen' right there.

Sent from my NSA screened Smartphone

I somewhat agree with you...but I must ask this question;
Are not LEO's 'inherently reactive' & more than just a 'bit pre-emptive' in their nature"?

Why are law abiding civilians always held to much higher standard's and 'microscopic-scrutiny' whenever it comes to self-defense scenarios but LEO's are seemingly not held to these same standard's? Where's the 'fairness' in all of this?

LEOs receive training that would counter being 'reactionary'. But alas as humans are, when put in a perceived deadly encounter, you're gonna do whatever is necessary. Whether you or I would deem it reactionary or not.

In Virginia you must let them enter the house before shots are fired. An intruder in my home is automatically deemed to be a danger to anyone in the home and therefore deadly force can be employed. If the bad guy takes one in the back oh well...my daughters bedroom is down stairs. I think I will avoid shooting someone trespassing on the property outside of the house. Here fishy fishy fishy! I hope my first reaction will be to get the bad guy to spread eagle on the floor. Nothing I have other than my wife, daughter, and my own life is worth me taking the life of another person but I cannot take the chance that he was merely window shopping. God help me and the bad guy if I am ever confronted with that choice. The bad guy will lose.

LEOs receive training that would counter being 'reactionary'. But alas as humans are, when put in a perceived deadly encounter, you're gonna do whatever is necessary. Whether you or I would deem it reactionary or not.

The evidence suggests that nearly all LEO's are reactionary!

Said it many times and this case is a perfect example of a gun law on the books in the blessed State of South Carolina. If AT NIGHT AND ONLY AT NIGHT--if you PRESUME someone has committed a felony, you can effect a citizens arrest and if the presumed felon tries to flee and evade your citizens arrest you can USE ANY MEANS POSSIBLE INCLUDING DEATH to thwart the evasion by the presumed felon. How and when this one went into effect I could not tell you but it is the law and it is very very clear with no misunderstandings. In this particular threat all the homeowner had to do was try to effect a citizens arrest and all bets are off after that for literally anything the punk kid decides to do that is anything but obeying the homeowner who is arresting him. FYI: South Carolina Code of Laws--Title 17-Criminal Procedures/Chapter 13-Arrest, Process, Searches and Seizures. Clear as day and backed by case law.

Well their elite 'training' does not seem to be working out very well.....

Case in point;

LAPD?s indefensible Dorner pursuit - Salon.com

Seems to me that these so-called 'elite cops' were being over 'reactionary' wouldn't you agree?

Don't know where to begin on this one. Not enough facts to have an educated opinion, so I'll make an uneducated opinion; the defendant appears to be in deep trouble.

Well their elite 'training' does not seem to be working out very well.....

Case in point;

LAPD?s indefensible Dorner pursuit - Salon.com

Seems to me that these so-called 'elite cops' were being over 'reactionary' wouldn't you agree?

Oh...you're bringing up old news. You act like you know for a fact that its a chronic problem in modern day law enforcement. Which apparently you don't...as I suspected.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back