Should citizens in the United States be banned from possessing assault weapons?

Unless you buy special permits, US citizens are already banned from owning assault weapons.
I don't need a permit to own a hammer or a brick.
Unless you buy special permits, US citizens are already banned from owning machine guns.

Another one successfully programmed by the anti-gunners and the media. I have NEVER EVER seen the term "assault weapon" defined that way except by those who have no clue what they are talking about and or those with an agenda.

Don't Let Them Mold Your Mind, They Want To Control Mankind
Seems Like Their Only Intention Is To Exploit The Earth,
And You Trust In Their Deceit, Your Mind Causes Your Defeat,
And So You Become An Invention To Distort This Earth
Propoganda And Lies, Is A Plague In Our Lives
How Much More Victimized, Before We Realize

Stephen Marley

Yes. If the citizens rights have not been taken away under due process they should be able to own and carry whatever firearm they want.

Interesting comment since that would align to the exact point I was making in another thread....

My favorite definition I hear is "well, an assault rifle it's a military rifle." By that definition a musket was once an assault rifle. Good thing the colonists had muskets during the Revolutionary War.

I don't need a permit to own a hammer or a brick.
Unless you buy special permits, US citizens are already banned from owning machine guns.
You do not buy a permit to own a machine gun. You fill out paperwork and pay a tax to own one.They are not Class 3 weapons. They are NFA Title II weapons. Class 3 only refers to the Special Occupational Tax rate that a Type 01 FFL pays to sell the NFA Title II weapons. Type 07 FFLs pay a Class 2 SOT. And it is the same weapons that a Type 01 FFL pays the yearly tax to sell at a different tax rate. So NFA Title II weapons can be Class 1, 2, or 3 SOT rates. Type 01 FFls pay a yearly $500 Class 3 SOT for the stamp for their license.

You do not buy a permit to own a machine gun. You fill out paperwork and pay a tax to own one.They are not Class 3 weapons. They are NFA Title II weapons. Class 3 only refers to the Special Occupational Tax rate that a Type 01 FFL pays to sell the NFA Title II weapons. Type 07 FFLs pay a Class 2 SOT. And it is the same weapons that a Type 01 FFL pays the yearly tax to sell at a different tax rate. So NFA Title II weapons can be Class 1, 2, or 3 SOT rates. Type 01 FFls pay a yearly $500 Class 3 SOT for the stamp for their license.

Dang! I only thought I wanted a FFL license! :sarcastic:

I would love to see a politician try to explain what a assault weapon was and have a informed medaitor or person from the audience answer the question after they have bumbled their way through it. Any one of my guns/rifles /knives etc could be labeled an assulat weapon. everyone is afraid of the evil looking black rifle yet the same caliber rifle in a wood stock is not so menacing.

A Class 3 SOT dealer is a dealer of NFA firearms
A Class 2 SOT manufacturer is a manufacturer of NFA firearms
A Class 1 SOT importer is an importer of NFA firearms

Type 1 FFL is a Title 1 dealer or gunsmith
Type 2 FFL is a Title 1 dealer doing business as a pawnbroker
Type 3 FFL is a licensed collector of Curio & Relic (C&R) firearms
Type 6 FFL is a licensed maker of ammunition and reloading components other than Armor Piercing ammunition
Type 7 FFL is a Title 1 manufacturer of firearms, ammunition and ammunition components other than NFA, Destructive Devices and Armor Piercing ammunition
Type 8 FFL is an importer of Title 1 firearms and ammunition
Type 9 FFL is a dealer in Title 1 firearms including NFA destructive devices, but no other NFA
Type 10 FFL is a manufacturer of Title 1 firearms, ammunition and ammunition components, including NFA Destructive Devices but no other NFA, and not including Armor Piercing ammunition
Type 11 FFL is an importer of Title 1 firearms, ammunition and NFA Destructive Devices, but no other NFA

To get a Class 3 SOT status, you need a dealer or manufacturer FFL which includes Type 1, 2, 7, 8, 9, 10 or 11 - and pay a yearly $500 tax due every July 1st.

To get a Class 2 SOT status, you need a manufacturer FFL, which includes Type 7, 10 - and pay a yearly $1000 or $500 (reduced rate for small manufacturers) tax due every July 1st.

To get a Class 1 SOT status, you need an importer FFL, which includes Type 8, 11- and pay a yearly $1000 or $500 (reduced rate for small importers) tax due every July 1st.

A Class 3 SOT dealer is a dealer of NFA firearms Nope. They are not. They are just a Type 01 FFL who has paid the Class 3 SOT. They are still a Type 01 FFL just they are allowed to sell NFA Title II items including suppressors.
A Class 2 SOT manufacturer is a manufacturer of NFA firearms Nope. They are not. They are just a Type 07 FFL who has paid the Class 2 SOT. They are still a Type 07 or 10 FFL just they are allowed to make and sell NFA Title II items and Title I items. Includes suppressors
A Class 1 SOT importer is an importer of NFA firearms Again, the importer still is their original FFL Type. Just allows them to sell and import the NFA Title II items.

Type 1 FFL is a Title 1 dealer or gunsmith
Type 2 FFL is a Title 1 dealer doing business as a pawnbroker
Type 3 FFL is a licensed collector of Curio & Relic (C&R) firearms
Type 6 FFL is a licensed maker of ammunition and reloading components other than Armor Piercing ammunition
Type 7 FFL is a Title 1 manufacturer of firearms, ammunition and ammunition components other than NFA, Destructive Devices and Armor Piercing ammunition
Type 8 FFL is an importer of Title 1 firearms and ammunition
Type 9 FFL is a dealer in Title 1 firearms including NFA destructive devices, but no other NFA
Type 10 FFL is a manufacturer of Title 1 firearms, ammunition and ammunition components, including NFA Destructive Devices but no other NFA, and not including Armor Piercing ammunition
Type 11 FFL is an importer of Title 1 firearms, ammunition and NFA Destructive Devices, but no other NFA

To get a Class 3 SOT status, you need a dealer or manufacturer FFL which includes Type 1, 2, 7, 8, 9, 10 or 11 - and pay a yearly $500 tax due every July 1st. Nope. Class 3 SOT is not for Type 07 FFLs. They and Type 10 are covered by Class 2 SOT. Class 3 SOT is not for Type 08, 11 either.

To get a Class 2 SOT status, you need a manufacturer FFL, which includes Type 7, 10 - and pay a yearly $1000 or $500 (reduced rate for small manufacturers) tax due every July 1st.

To get a Class 1 SOT status, you need an importer FFL, which includes Type 8, 11- and pay a yearly $1000 or $500 (reduced rate for small importers) tax due every July 1st.
Class 1 and 2 SOT also covers Class 3 SOT operations.
Type 02 FFL has been done away with. They are now Type 01 FFLs.
And due to ITAR , Manufacturers and Importers also have to pay a yearly $2,250 fee to the State Dept. Definition of a manufacturer includes a dealer who buys AR-15 parts and puts them together to sell. Type 01 FFLs can buy the parts like uppers and lowers but if you put them together, you owe the government an extra $2,750 to $3,250 a year if you handle NFA Title II items. And if you fail to pay the tax to the DOS on time, it can be a $10K per gun fine. It runs Jan 1 to Dec 31 each year unlike the SOT from July 1 to June 30 and the FFL license that can be for any month.

In a word- NO (so long as they are not convicted felons)

I personally think there needs to have been violence involved in their crime...people can be a felon for a lot of things...even erroneously possessing a firearm in a location they shouldn't have. This whole "felon" issue even needs to be ironed out a bit better. I could care less if someone was convicted of bank fraud and still maintains the right to defend themselves. Keep in mind that it doesn't affect me as I am not in that group, but just because one is a felon, it doesn't make them violent.

Due process is not a permit system. You thought they were the same thing ?

Of course not. But what do you think a Triple I check does when you apply for a permit? It might surprise you that a lot more happens than the gov taking a few bucks from you. Just wanted to give you a heads up that you contradicted yourself.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back