Will using a bypod change my point of impact?

Will a bi-pod change my point of impact?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

festus

God Bless Our Troops!!!
Will using a bi-pod change my point of impact?

Here is the point of this argument. It is a standard hunting rifle in a wood stock say a Remington 700 or savage 110 chambered in 30-06.

The rifle is currently zeroed gnat's @$$ at a 100 Yards.

The barrel is not free floated, but rather factory stock.

The Bi-pod is a Harris or similar type, clamped to the front sling swivel stud. (say that five times fast)

I already know the answer...this is for edutainment among us rifle cranks.

I would guess that you would get some jump and hit a bit high. Same thing happens if you try to steady your rifle by holding it against a tree. It will bounce away from the tree and hit left or right, depending on which side the tree is on. The former is a guess based on my experience with the latter. Do I get a gold star or have to go back a grade?

The introduction of pressure upon the botton of the stock could alter barrel harmonics,however I cannot tell to what extent. It could depend alot upon the expansion ratio of the cartridge as to how much poi could be affected. I have no experience with bi pods because I rely on shooting sticks,and all of my rifles barrels are free floated. So,I would have to say I dont know. :laugh:

I would guess that you would get some jump and hit a bit high. Same thing happens if you try to steady your rifle by holding it against a tree. It will bounce away from the tree and hit left or right, depending on which side the tree is on. The former is a guess based on my experience with the latter. Do I get a gold star or have to go back a grade?

I think it also depends on how hard the surface is that the bipod is on. I'd guess that soft ground/grass wouldn't make it jump as much as shooting off of a concrete sidewalk. I anxiously await enlightenment.

It all depends. When you Zeroed your gun I'm guessing you used some kind of rest/sand bag to steady the aim. If the rest/sand bag contacted the stock in the same place as the Bipod is connected you should not see that much different in point of impact. Also depends on if you preload the bipod by putting weight forward or backwards on it. But must likely, it will change the point of impact. How much? I'm not sure but I would rezero my scope after installing the new Bipod.

If the bipod was clamped to the barrel then yes as it would effect the whip.
If on the stock then I would say no.
But it could effect your grip and thus your trigger squeeze.
either way just re-sight it in with the bipod and you are good to go.

This is what happened to me

My buddy had a Savage 110 in 30-06. It was not free-floated. We put my Harris Bipod on it and went to the range. For my buddy it changed his point of impact about 1-1 1/2 inches. For me it changed the point of impact 2-3 inches. The bipod is as far forward as it can get. This is a lot further forward than where you hold standing unsupported. It definitely put pressure on the barrel. My buddy just let the rifle set in the bipod. I on the other hand put pressure on the rifle to make it rock steady.

Their you have it sports fans. It will change point of impact.

After I free floated the barrel and bedded the action the same rifle had not point of impact change with or without the bipod. It is all about the pressure point and barrel harmonics.

It will change point of impact.

After I free floated the barrel and bedded the action the same rifle had not point of impact change with or without the bipod. It is all about the pressure point and barrel harmonics.

Interesting, I have never used a bipod, just a sling or a rest/sand bags. I guess, I'll have to look closer at a pod to see hold they attach. Now, ya got me curious....

There are a bunch of factors that come into play when firing a rifle you need to consider...

Bypods should NEVER be used on a hard surface!
First, you encounter a 'Arc' effect as the legs try to straighten when the rifle recoils, and that will change your point of impact.
That was GRAPHICALLY illustrated to me by military firearms instructors.

Always shoot off of bags when on hard surfaces, bypods when you don't have a solid surface under you.
Bypods are a stop gap measure used when you can't use a bag effectively.
In the Marines, we used a sock filled with rice or sand, or our 'Butt Pack' under the forearm when we could,
And when we couldn't get enough elevation like that, we went to bypods.

Second, most have rubber tips on the legs, and they bounce when the rifle is fired.

Third is where the bypod is located on the stock.
If you have a full floating barrel, and a heavy barrel, this is reduced, but if you have barrel contacting the stock at the end, like tapered barrels often have, then a bypod at the end of the stock will lift/misalign the barrel in relationship to where your hand or bag normally contacts the barrel.

Keeping your rest as close to the receiver as you can will reduce that barrel movement if you don't have a free floating barrel/stock arrangment.

As stated before, barrel harmonics will come into play depending on how much stock force against the barrel/receiver you have.
So keeping the bypod as close to your 'Hand' shooting position as you can will keep you shooting much straighter since the leverage the bypod exerts will be more like your hand/bag rest location.

There are some other factors to consider, but that should give you the gist of it...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back