Why Open Carry is a bad Strategy

Then why did you make such a declarative statement except to agitate and rile people who don't agree with you?

Why are we necromancing a thread that is 1 1/2 years old?!?

I respect your opinion but there are two ways to look at this.
1. By carrying open you would most likely send the bad guy off looking for someone who they think is not carrying a gun.
2. Carrying it open increases your response speed if you have to use it.
3. I like a ankle holster for comfort but for quick response it sucks.
4. The most important thing carrying open it does is let everyone that sees you know that you are there to protect yourself and others if need be.
5. Conceal Carrying is not a crime deterrent by itself. If a bad guy does not think you have a gun he is more likely to pick you.

I do think that there needs to be some kind of ID displayed with the gun, say on the Belt or Holster identifying you as someone licensed to carry.
That's my story and I am sticking to it.
Kebeau
TX

Because it's an omnipresent topic that will never be solved, it can be rounded and debated up or down but it's distilled down to one's personal opinion and preference.

I think the question is... Why are we necromancing a thread that is 1 1/2 years old when there are already a bunch of threads on this very subject? Do we really need that many arguments going on at once? As a matter of fact that's the only reason I opened it... I was wondering what kept it going for so long.

I think the question is... Why are we necromancing a thread that is 1 1/2 years old when there are already a bunch of threads on this very subject? Do we really need that many arguments going on at once? As a matter of fact that's the only reason I opened it... I was wondering what kept it going for so long.

I was woundering the same thing this is one that will never be settled on which is best, myself I do both concealed and open, but honestly lately I have been doing more open, to me its more comfortable to carry open in a normal belt holster, and the older I get the less I give a dam about what people think, there are some instinces where concealed is preferred but for the most part its open

I don't hide my weapon. I open carry 90 percent of the time. No looks, no one running for cover, nothing, period.
Carry as you see fit but don't try to tell me your way is the only way.
This post is embarrassing as it was started by a firearms instructor(?).

u4a9ehym.jpg

Sent from behind Enemy Lines.

I was woundering the same thing this is one that will never be settled on which is best, myself I do both concealed and open, but honestly lately I have been doing more open, to me its more comfortable to carry open in a normal belt holster, and the older I get the less I give a dam about what people think, there are some instinces where concealed is preferred but for the most part its open
As I approach middle age I too could care less what other people think. It is a civil right that has always been with us but wholly neglected because of the belief that it would always be there, but Diane Feinstein, Hillary Clinton, Charles Schumer and the other anti-gun usual suspects showed us in 1993-94 that we can't relax or blink lest the wolves close in for the kill. Eternal vigilance.

Well said. Much more eloquently than I.
Why would I want to advertise that I'm prepared to fight?
Why would I want to advertise that I'm prepared to fight instead of having a super duper secret "element of surprise" that I can suddenly whip out and put the bad guy who attacked me in his place? Consider the following...

About that "element of surprise" thing..........

CC and OC have the very same "element of surprise" because the "element of surprise" is really nothing more than the bad guy being "surprised" to discover his intended victim ..... has a gun.

With CC the bad guy is "surprised" to see his intended victim has a gun to defend himself with after the bad guy has already chosen his victim and the attack is already in progress and at that point seeing the gun can make the bad guy decide to stop the attack.

With OC the bad guy is "surprised" to see his intended victim has a gun to defend himself with during the bad guy's choosing a victim process and at that point seeing the gun can make the bad guy decide not to attack at all.

But either way... it was the bad guy being "surprised" to see a gun that was the actual "element of surprise".

Quite frankly... I'd prefer the bad guy be "surprised" to see my openly carried gun and decide not to attack me so I can go home and watch the 6 o'clock news coverage .... from the comfort of my easy chair..... about the CC'er who had to pull his gun and "surprise" the bad guy who attacked him.

Does OC's "element of surprise" really work? Well.... there have been thousands of folks open carrying in many States (Like Arizona) for decades! and yet accounts of folks OC'ing being attacked are rare. And you know with the anti gun media any incident involving an open carrier being attacked would be covered over and over and over yet such has not been the case in the past nor is it now.

And, in my not so humble opinion, because CC's use of the "element of surprise" is only effective after the attack has begun but OC's use of the "element of surprise" can prevent an attack from happening............. OC's use of the "element of surprise" is far superior to CC's because....

I'd much rather watch the 6 o'clock news than to BE the news.

And considering the title of this thread is "Why Open Carry is a bad Strategy" I would suggest that from the standpoint of open carry having a deterrent ability to prevent an attack perhaps it is concealed carry that would be the "bad strategy".

I OC 99% of the time and have had 5 run ons with LEO'S and all 5 runins have led to 5 public apologies because of them not knowing the laws in the state of GA.

Since, I have had no issues! I'm going on 4 years harassment free... I continue to OC.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

I OC 99% of the time and have had 5 run ons with LEO'S and all 5 runins have led to 5 public apologies because of them not knowing the laws in the state of GA.

Since, I have had no issues! I'm going on 4 years harassment free... I continue to OC.

The most harassment I have received has come from alleged "pro-gun" concealed carry only snobs telling me how I should carry my gun. I doubt if I will get any apologies, public or private.

Yeah, but did you get shot first before you got those apologies? LOL

Seriously though, I for one would be interested to know some details of what happened. Were you arrested? Detained for a long period of time? Did the cops try to intimidate you? Were any costs associated with those run-ins? Were apologies the extent of the "consequences" the cops should've suffered for whatever they did to make them (or their departments) have to apologize in the first place? I'm just curious about generally what happened, not a complete breakdown of each individual encounter, if you're so-inclined to provide a kind of overview.

Blues

The most harassment I have received has come from alleged "pro-gun" concealed carry only snobs telling me how I should carry my gun. I doubt if I will get any apologies, public or private.

Same here. You wouldn't believe how loudly someone (who claims to conceal for the element of surprise and what they believe is a tactical advantage) will proclaim that their way is better. Defeats the purpose, doesn't it? I find it amusing.

Yeah, but did you get shot first before you got those apologies? LOL

Seriously though, I for one would be interested to know some details of what happened. Were you arrested? Detained for a long period of time? Did the cops try to intimidate you? Were any costs associated with those run-ins? Were apologies the extent of the "consequences" the cops should've suffered for whatever they did to make them (or their departments) have to apologize in the first place? I'm just curious about generally what happened, not a complete breakdown of each individual encounter, if you're so-inclined to provide a kind of overview.

Blues

If you're interested in these kinds of stories, mine is unfolding now. I did a pretty long phone interview yesterday with our local paper. I started a thread about it here...

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/wisc...rm-news/41540-harrassed-oc-after-hunting.html

It's got pictures.

I guess if one likes to open carry that is their choice ,I believe the only thing is hunting and fishing in the woods/forest is in Florida.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back