Why Open Carry is a bad Strategy

I open carry because the "element of surprise" is just a pipe dream.

I respectfully disagree. I believe the "element of surprise" to be a warm fuzzy feeling inside... :)

Open carry or concealed is a choice ... I just know from a month of doing it your better off open carrying... Cause honesty a bg isn't about to shoot you or try anything with you if u have the metal objects to do it do it ...wear it proud and don't let a comment or stare ruin it who cares what people think ..... My two cents there

justxboxin:288097 said:
Open carry everyday people avoid you or are extra nice to you

With a comment like that, you should be the poster child of why people have opinions AGAINST OC. Well done...

Flanmedic51:288664 said:

With a comment like that, you should be the poster child of why people have opinions AGAINST OC. Well done...

cause you know, people being nice to you is something we should all be avoiding...

Firefighterchen:288667 said:

cause you know, people being nice to you is something we should all be avoiding...

Being nice because of wearing a gun? Or avoiding? That's borderlining intimidation. I like to think that if someone is going to be nice to me its genuine...not because they feel they HAVE to be.

Flanmedic51:288681 said:
Firefighterchen:288667 said:

Being nice because of wearing a gun? Or avoiding? That's borderlining intimidation. I like to think that if someone is going to be nice to me its genuine...not because they feel they HAVE to be.

I don't really care why someone is nice to me, sure beats them being rude. You would them rather be genuinely rude to you instead of being obligated to be nice? What are your intentions for wanting someone to be rude?

Open carry or concealed is a choice ... I just know from a month of doing it your better off open carrying... Cause honesty a bg isn't about to shoot you or try anything with you if u have the metal objects to do it do it ...wear it proud and don't let a comment or stare ruin it who cares what people think ..... My two cents there

Here...here !!! I live in a state where we have a License To Carry Handgun :) There is NO stipulation on OC/CC. I have carried most of my life (60+ years) and I prefer OC and do it every day :2cents:

I don't really care why someone is nice to me, sure beats them being rude. You would them rather be genuinely rude to you instead of being obligated to be nice? What are your intentions for wanting someone to be rude?

You're making this more complicated than it is. What the above comment says as well as what FTG 05 said is proof positive of why there is a contingency out there that has opinions AND good points about the OC mindset and motives that turns people off.

I don't know if the following has been posted on this thread before but, if not, it is pertinent to this discussion. This was posted on our IOC forum recently:

Spoke with a Convicted Felon Saturday about OC.

I ran into a kid at the carwash this past Saturday, I remember him and his brother from church when they were ankle-biters. Sadly both this guy and his brother ended up doing time in the state pokey (His brother is actually back in) while he has turned his life around. He recognized me and came up to start chatting- saw my sidearm and asked what I was carrying these days. Spent a few minutes talking about my firearm and he says, "you know, guys like my brother fear people like you."

I asked, "Armed people?"

He said, "No, armed people who don't bother covering it up."

I asked, "Why not just regular armed people?"

He said, "can't tell who is strapped and who isn't. Someone carrying concealed looks just like everyone else. See, when guys like my brother case a joint, they make sure that everything is in place. As soon as they see someone with a piece hangin' off their belt it messes with their rhythm. That throws them off and makes them shaky."

Then he said something that has stuck with me since, "my brother said it took him almost a week to get the picture of a guy with a gun out of his mind before he got the nerve up to go rob another store. It really freaked him out because it reminded him that there were people out there with guns that could shoot back."

I said (in my most sarcastic voice), "You can't tell me a hardened criminal is actually scared of a private citizen with a handgun."

His answer! "Thugs ain't no heroes... too lazy, and it takes a lot of energy to get nerve up to go somewhere and do it. If you mess with that flow, they gotta wait until they get jacked up enough to do it again. Could take a few minutes or a few days, but they won't go back to where they know somebody's packin”.

Nuff Said!

[email protected]
Open Carry is the Bold Beautiful Face of the 2nd Amendment

You're making this more complicated than it is. What the above comment says as well as what FTG 05 said is proof positive of why there is a contingency out there that has opinions AND good points about the OC mindset and motives that turns people off.

You two are arguing over a troll.

Just sayin'

Treo:288930 said:

You two are arguing over a troll.

Just sayin'

JustN is just one of many who have said something along the lines of, "when I open carry people are nicer/more respectful/stay farther away from me when I'm on my motorcycle." Then there is always someone who says that that is also a reason why people don't want to open carry, and then relate it to intimidation. He calls it complicated, I call it how i see it.

I don't care if they feel they have to be nice and respectful around me, or if they genuinely are nice and respectful, it gets the job done. I do not want to be around rude and mean people, that is just the first steps in an escalating problem. Plain and simple to me.

I feel it gets complicated when someone says they want someone to be rude and mean around them, or indirectly say they don't want people to be nice around them. That is why i ask, why do people not want kindness and respectfulness around them? Saying OC is borderline intimidation questions my intentions, so I am questioning their intentions for not wanting kindness and respectfulness.

I don't open carry for intimidation or respect I was pointing out the fact that's what happens everyday regardless.... And I walk the streets with my three year old I hope a bg sees my gun and respects me instead of try's to mess or rob or kill me I'll take the stares and the people who don't like it O well lol

open carry is a deterrent thats why we carry while in iraq,thats why police open carry,some bad guy may not think he has the upper hand

A lot of you are missing the primary benefit of an armed society. It's not a question of wether the "bad guy" will take you out first due to OC; it's that the bad guy will be deterred from starting something in the first place. In the words of John Lott: "More guns, less crime." The side benefit of OC is desensitizing the general (unarmed) public to the unfounded fears fostered by the anti-gunners.
If every gun owner open carried (where legal) on a regular basis, there would be less apprehension of gun owners by the unarmed and more apprehension by the ne'er-do-wells contemplating crime.

What did I say that turns people off??????:confused:

Open Carry has many fans, but when it comes down to a firefight, it will fail you.

Combat Strategy demands that you have the offensive, the edge, the element of surprise.

Tactics learned on the conventional firing range are worthless in a real fight. The Bad Guys aren't going to give you time to get ready, and sight in on them. They want to win, at your expense.

Concealed Carry is the way to go on the streets. You get the element of surprise.

That's your opinion. "Combat strategy" in every war I've seen show soldiers coming with their guns out and ready to engage. So if you want to carry concealed then do it and leave those of us who want to open carry alone.

Open Carry has many fans, but when it comes down to a firefight, it will fail you.

When you Open Carry, you are signaling the world that you are prepared for a fight, even if you are just bluffing!

Bad Guys are not afraid of you unless you are actually ready to fight.

And they aren't going to give you that chance.

Combat Strategy demands that you have the offensive, the edge, the element of surprise.

Tactics learned on the conventional firing range are worthless in a real fight. The Bad Guys aren't going to give you time to get ready, and sight in on them. They want to win, at your expense.

Concealed Carry is the way to go on the streets. You get the element of surprise.
Really, do yo have experience of being a CC in a fire fight?
Do you have even a shred of proof of the garbage you spew?

Hasn't this dead horse been beaten enough on a bunch of other threads? Just carry the way you want and leave the rest alone.
Not everyone is an old timer on this forum and this isn't a dead horse to the new comers. I am forever sending our new members at Idaho Carry here and talking about this forum when I am interviewed on the radio. This topic is alive as long as people are interested in talking about it and it surprises me golddigger that you would even enter into the conversation if you think it is a dead horse. It is here that friends are made and, in my book, anti-OCers who denigrate OC are no better than the anti-gunners. You are doing their dirty work. I Conceal Carry when I can't Open Carry and 100% of the time that I am Open Carrying, I am winning the hearts and minds of those on the fence because I act like an ambassador for the 2nd Amendment dressing sharp and smiling and talking to everyone. Obviously you can't OC everywhere, because wisdom and prudence guide either carry, but I engage people daily and 95% of the conversations are started by people commenting on my gun and none of those comments have been negative. Golddigger, every time I engage in one of these forums, I pick up another "gold nugget" for my pro-OC argument, so please everyone, keep the OC/CC conversation alive. We have 5 anti-OC states left to win over and these discussions help those efforts.

Then why did you make such a declarative statement except to agitate and rile people who don't agree with you?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back