Why does Washington not have reciprocity with Oregon?

Firefighterchen

OC for Tactical Advantage
9.41.070 << 9.41.073 >> 9.41.075

RCW 9.41.073
Concealed pistol license — Reciprocity.

(1)(a) A person licensed to carry a pistol in a state the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington is authorized to carry a concealed pistol in this state if:

(i) The licensing state does not issue concealed pistol licenses to persons under twenty-one years of age; and

(ii) The licensing state requires mandatory fingerprint-based background checks of criminal and mental health history for all persons who apply for a concealed pistol license.

(b) This section applies to a license holder from another state only while the license holder is not a resident of this state. A license holder from another state must carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.

(2) The attorney general shall periodically publish a list of states the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington and which meet the requirements of subsection (1)(a)(i) and (ii) of this section.

[2004 c 148 § 1.]

According to the rcw, what is it that Oregon is doing that makes Washington deny reciprocity of Oregon permits? Maybe I'm overlooking something.

because oregon refuses to honor ANY other state cpl, thus making reciprocity not an option. residents of states immediately bordering oregon can apply for an oregon non-resident cpl. getting the oregon non resident cpl may or may not be slightly more complicated than the process for wa cpl. the state ag website has info about reciprocity status with every other state. always a good source of info: Link Removed

oregon is an open carry state, though localities in oregon are allowed to make their own rules that affect unlicensed open carry, [and its a mess]

It basically comes down to Oregon refusing to honor Washington's CPL:

RCW 9.41.073

(1)(a) A person licensed to carry a pistol in a state the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington is authorized to carry a concealed pistol in this state if:

Oregon is not honored because Oregon does not honor Washington.

9.41.070 << 9.41.073 >> 9.41.075

RCW 9.41.073

(1)(a) A person licensed to carry a pistol in a state the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington

Oregon fails without even getting out of the starting gate. They don't recognize Washington permits.

Yeah, I think about this too so I just went down to OR to get one from them. I and my wife and church youth goes to OR so I want to be safe and the people that with me.

I live in Massachusetts and can't cross state lines with a firearm. It's a pissing contest between politicians and the states they live in. They are not looking out for us. It's all about the power.

I live in Massachusetts and can't cross state lines with a firearm. It's a pissing contest between politicians and the states they live in. They are not looking out for us. It's all about the power.

Can you explain to us exactly why you can't cross state lines with a firearm? I am sure there are Massachusetts residents who do it legally every day. What is unique about your situation?

It basically comes down to Oregon refusing to honor Washington's CPL:

Oregon is not honored because Oregon does not honor Washington.

That would be the part I overlooked...the wording is confusing, but after reading it about 7 times, I got it.

Can you explain to us exactly why you can't cross state lines with a firearm? I am sure there are Massachusetts residents who do it legally every day. What is unique about your situation?

My license is issued by Mass and CT, NY, NH, RI and on and on just won't recognize an out of state license. You can apply for a non-resident in each state and then you can carry there. Get caught and they arrest you and then your state will pull your license and say you are unfit for a permit.
Hope this helps. Here's a web site that may explain it better. Link Removed

My license is issued by Mass and CT, NY, NH, RI and on and on just won't recognize an out of state license. You can apply for a non-resident in each state and then you can carry there. Get caught and they arrest you and then your state will pull your license and say you are unfit for a permit.
Hope this helps. Here's a web site that may explain it better. Link Removed

You failed to answer why you can't cross state lines with a firearm. It is 100% legal for you to drive across the state line and carry your gun in VT however you choose to. It is perfectly legal for you to lock your unloaded gun in a case and drive through New York and in Pennsylvania exit your vehicle, load your gun and open carry it (outside of Philly, and outside of a vehicle). It's perfectly legal for you to board an airplane in MA, with an unloaded firearm locked in a gun case in your checked baggage, fly to Washington state, load the gun in a bathroom stall inside SEATAC airport and walk out with it openly carried on your belt (again outside of a vehicle and outside the secured area of the airport). Just because your permit is not recognized does not make it illegal to cross state lines with a firearm. I would suggest you read handgunlaw.us. It might explain things better to you as well.

You failed to answer why you can't cross state lines with a firearm. It is 100% legal for you to drive across the state line and carry your gun in VT however you choose to. It is perfectly legal for you to lock your unloaded gun in a case and drive through New York and in Pennsylvania exit your vehicle, load your gun and open carry it (outside of Philly, and outside of a vehicle). It's perfectly legal for you to board an airplane in MA, with an unloaded firearm locked in a gun case in your checked baggage, fly to Washington state, load the gun in a bathroom stall inside SEATAC airport and walk out with it openly carried on your belt (again outside of a vehicle and outside the secured area of the airport). Just because your permit is not recognized does not make it illegal to cross state lines with a firearm. I would suggest you read handgunlaw.us. It might explain things better to you as well.

The northeast states do not recognize other state carry permits, that's why you can't carry into another state. If I am traveling, I will use a lock box in the back of the car to secure my firearm. I can carry in other states as I have a Utah and Florida non-resident licenses. But only where the license is recognized.

It all sounds very nice, open carry, let me know how it works for you.

I can carry in other states as I have a Utah and Florida non-resident licenses. But only where the license is recognized.It all sounds very nice, open carry, let me know how it works for you.
Whatever. There are plenty of states that allow for unlicensed carry and millions of people legally carry in those states without licenses every day because there is no law against it. You are more restricted by your lack of knowledge of the law than you are by the law itself. I've personally visited Colorado and Wyoming and legally open carried my firearm in both states in full compliance with the law without having a license/permit recognized by either state. So that's how it worked out for me, and millions of others like me every day.

Whatever. There are plenty of states that allow for unlicensed carry and millions of people legally carry in those states without licenses every day because there is no law against it. You are more restricted by your lack of knowledge of the law than you are by the law itself. I've personally visited Colorado and Wyoming and legally open carried my firearm in both states in full compliance with the law without having a license/permit recognized by either state. So that's how it worked out for me, and millions of others like me every day.

OK, ship your firearm to New York City and pack it in your luggage, all declared and by the laws in force today. Claim your luggage and then explain to the New York City police why you have a firearm in New York. Confiscation time and jail for you. (Whatever) You're not in Colorado or Wyoming when you come east. We are not a freedom loving part of the country here.
Here's one. http://www.usacarry.com/why-people-get-arrested-airports-firearms/
Can't wait to leave and never come back.

You can cross state lines. You just have to follow the law in the state in question the instant you do. I can conceal carry in Oregon—I'm entitled to do that. But the moment I cross into Washington, I cannot have a LOADED concealed firearm because I do not have a Washington CPL and Washington does not honor Oregon's CHL. By the way, in a car is concealed by Washington standards. ;)

Now, what I can do is unload my pistol while still on the Oregon side, cross into Washington, get to my destination, reload, and open carry. But I've got to unload my pistol before getting back in the car to return to Oregon.

OK, ship your firearm to New York City and pack it in your luggage, all declared and by the laws in force today. Claim your luggage and then explain to the New York City police why you have a firearm in New York. Confiscation time and jail for you. (Whatever) You're not in Colorado or Wyoming when you come east. We are not a freedom loving part of the country here.
Here's one. Why People Get Arrested at Airports with Firearms - USA Carry
Can't wait to leave and never come back.

New York is like the Special Olympics of states. There's a lot of drooling, and everybody's a "winner". ;)

Apparently shipping a firearm in your checked luggage in compliance with the FAA is a crime. I'm personally of the opinion we need to make more things the feds deem acceptable illegal within our states, but … in this particular instance that just doesn't work out in our favor. I will be staying out of New York.

You can cross state lines. You just have to follow the law in the state in question the instant you do. I can conceal carry in Oregon—I'm entitled to do that. But the moment I cross into Washington, I cannot have a LOADED concealed firearm because I do not have a Washington CPL and Washington does not honor Oregon's CHL. By the way, in a car is concealed by Washington standards. ;)

Now, what I can do is unload my pistol while still on the Oregon side, cross into Washington, get to my destination, reload, and open carry. But I've got to unload my pistol before getting back in the car to return to Oregon.

Get the Utah non-resident permit which is honored by Washington and 29 other states. You have to sit through a 4 hour lecture, but we took a combined Oregon/Utah 5 hour course in one day so it was no big deal.

I dunno about NYC. Apparently transporting an unloaded firearm to or from the airport locked in a container according to FAA guidelines can get you arrested. Showing up at NYC and declaring your firearm as required (stored legally for FAA regs) will and has resulted in ticket agents having people arrested under NYC's communist citizen disarmament policies.

As a Washington resident living in a boardering county across the Columbia River from Oregon, I spend a lot of time in Oregon shopping, visiting friends and medical appointments. So this question of Concealed pistol license — Reciprocity hits home with me. I ended up deciding to attend the required training to obtain a Oregon CHL and applied for the permit in the Oregon county across the river. As Nick Burkhardt in an earlier post stated that "...a combined Oregon/Utah 5 hour course in one day so it was no big deal." and I agree but the class and license fees for multiple states becomes expensive, especially if multiple members of the families decide to carry. I was wondering if there is some way to find out officially from our state officials why they won't agree to have reciprocity for at least neighboring states. Has anyone on this forum asked the Oregon/Washington state officials why they can't come to an agreement?

Has anyone on this forum asked the Oregon/Washington state officials why they can't come to an agreement?

It is a matter for the legislature. The legislature of one or both states would have to change the laws of the state. If Oregon changed their statute to meet Washington requirements, than both permits would be honored in both states. If Washington changed their statute then Oregon's permit would be honored in Washington, but Washington's would still not be honored in Oregon. Ideally Washington and Oregon would both change their statutes to match Vermonts - no permit required to carry in any manner.

Washington state law requries, among other things, that Oregon would have to honor our permit for us to honor theirs.
Oregon state law says that no out of state permit will be honored in Oregon.

I was wondering if there is some way to find out officially from our state officials why they won't agree to have reciprocity for at least neighboring states. Has anyone on this forum asked the Oregon/Washington state officials why they can't come to an agreement?

Yes I have. Oregon, while being an overall free state, will not honor any other states permits because they "want control over the educational requirements for who are issued a CHL". This is a poor argument because many states have greater requirements than Oregon, so it comes down to "We want the money and/or the final say."

Washington says "since Oregon does not accept our license, we won't accept theirs"

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back