Why are LEO's pointing their gun's at innocent civilian's head's during checkpoints?

The_Outlaw

~The Dude Abides~
After a known gang member shot and injured several law enforcement officials before going into hiding in a Sacramento suburb on Friday, police responded by setting up a checkpoint and aiming guns at innocent people’s heads, an AP photo shows. The photo, (credited to AP Photo/The Sacramento Bee, Randall Benton) is captioned, “A California Highway Patrol officer and another emergency responder stop a vehicle at a checkpoint.”

After an hours-long standoff, the suspect, 32-year-old gang member Samuel Nathan Duran, eventually surrendered after leaving a nearby house in which he had been holed up. The felon responsible for the shootings was a wanted parolee and was already known to police having been seen riding a bike earlier in the day. His description would have been well circulated and known intimately by those tasked with hunting him down. So why were Americans innocently driving their cars through the suburb of Roseville subjected to treatment that wouldn’t have looked out of place in Stalinist Russia, or more recently in Iraq or Afghanistan? As we saw during the Boston bombings manhunt, in complete violation of law, police seem to believe that so long as they are hunting a potentially dangerous suspect, the Constitution becomes null and void, and that martial law is in effect.

Link Removed

Lack of training, lack of understanding personal rights, and for some of them( not all because I personally know quite a few really good officers believe it or not) they didn't get enough attention from mommy growing up or didn't get to hang out with the cool kids and now they get to play big boy

Why are LEO's pointing their gun's at innocent civilian's head's during checkpoints?

It comes from the top.....

gunholder.jpg

Or maybe they just didn't get the memo that Chris Dorner was burned alive nine months ago....

Link Removed

Link Removed

Blues

Unfortunately, we are becoming a police state the rival of which we have never seen. Wait until 2016 if the Dems don't win. Could be all out civil war.

For some ridiculous reason it's okay for LEO to aim loaded weapons at civilians (non-suspect civilians mind you), as if they have a corner on responsible firearms handling. How about: Link Removed Alberto Sepulveda is especially egregious and getting $2.55 million doesn't replace a son. As far as I know Officer David Hawn either pensioned out or remains an LEO. IMO and probably most right thinking people's judgement, an "accident" of that magnitude absolutely cannot happen. If officers are charged with proper gun handling, then no excuses. You're off the (any) force permanantly and a negligent homicide indictment is coming.
The picture in Outlaw's article and the one of the truck driver above are outrageous... but, if an accident happens, well, "my bad". Citizens that would make these errors under similar circumstance will undoubtly be charged with multiple felonies. What makes LE completely exempt?

Mogolfman's statement above ("Unfortunately, we are becoming a police state the rival of which we have never seen."), is completely valid - technology, militarized police forces, and the sheeple mentality make it all too easy.

Police state

It looks like people get it. The police are getting military training and the military is getting police training. It's our country so let's do something about it. Where I live I can't count on the police for anything. I remember when I looked up to the police, but after years of watching cops beat the crap out of people I feel very different. In my line of work I was insulted daily but I didn't beat the crap out of people because I could. Sorry to the good cops, there out there because I train with them all the time. CK Detroit

Man sh!t has changed since I retired and not for the better...We would term an officer that ever conducted such action as a danger to the public...

I'd love to know what would have went down if the driver of that vehicle pushed the barrel out of his face and said, "please don't point that at me".

Makes you sick to your stomach thinking about the possibilities.

I'd love to know what would have went down if the driver of that vehicle pushed the barrel out of his face and said, "please don't point that at me".

Makes you sick to your stomach thinking about the possibilities.

Heck, it probably wouldn't work out well if he had simply asked.

Being the smart a$$ I am I would have told him to get his fing gun out of my face...While keeping both hands on the wheel.....

Being the smart a$$ I am I would have told him to get his fing gun out of my face...While keeping both hands on the wheel.....

Great mind's think alike!

I probably would have said something like;

"Excuse me officer hot dog, but is there a reason why you are pointing your f'ng weapon at my head!?"

He probably would have answered with some smart ass comment and then I would have replied with something else like;

"If you don't get your GD weapon out of my face then I refuse to answer anymore of your question's!"

While keeping both of my hand's on the steering wheel of course.

Haven't you heard, it's for officer safety. You know the "special ones". They want to go home at the end of their shift. And when mistakes happen it's explained in the report that the subject made a furtive movement or that cell phone looked like a gun.

Haven't you heard, it's for officer safety. You know the "special ones". They want to go home at the end of their shift. And when mistakes happen it's explained in the report that the subject made a furtive movement or that cell phone looked like a gun.
There was a bulge in the perpetrator's pants that looked suspiciously close to a .44 magnum sidearm...how was I supposed to know all he was doing was getting the key to unlock the rear door?

Read THE RISE OF THE WARRIOR COP!!!
It explains all the things you are questioning here.
Nobody is safe!

A stunningly poor attitude and poor supervision explains it just fine.

I am not trying to be insulting. Do you read? If you do then you know you can learn many things in addition to gaining some ammo to explain or expose the bad path this country is on.
In no way would a book be written and sell many copies if all it did was convey your short version of the situation.
I don't disagree with you but read the book to see the insidious nature of militarization of our police forces.
Check it out, you will be amazed of what, how why this is a bad thing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back