Which .44 Magnum?

coachdb18

I've been a .357 Magnum guy for quite a while, but have been aware also that I may need to carry the .44 Magnum on my trips into the wild. On a recent trip to Texas, I rented both the S&W 629, and the Ruger Redhawk, and I'm certain I couldn't go wrong with either, I thoroughly enjoyed firing both. But there are things I'm certain I can learn from others and their opinions, so I thought I'd ask for opinions... Given these two fine revolvers, which would you recommend, and what are the recommending features or things you disliked about them? Thanks in advance....

Well you could not go wrong with either gun. A lot is what felt and handled better in your hands. I love shooting .44 Mag, my favorite is the Desert Eagle but it is not easy finding hot enough loads that it likes to feed. I also have a Ruger .44 carbine that also loves hot loads. Have fun!

I agree both are great guns, but what is your intended use. Do you intend to mount a scope for hunting? A back-up gun while hunting? Or is it more a trail gun to deal with snakes? Ruger and S&W both offer 44Mags tailored to those and other missions.

I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk w/ the 10 1/2" barrel (that I inherited) and it is a very true shooting gun. Can't take too much shooting from it at a time, but it'll do what you need.

I carry the Ruger Redhawk when hunting in bear country love the weapon, sweet shooting and provides a degree of safety when camping in dangerous game areas. A wrangler once told me to climb tree with pistol in holster secure a good limb up tree then remove gun, point muzzle down tree and when muzzle of barrel hits muzzle of bear fire. All kidding aside love the redhawk, but SW is also an excellent weapon.

I've owned several S&W and Rugers (revolvers) in various calibers... never saw the difference objectionable or favorable between either brand ... some people like S&W's trigger ... others like Ruger's beefiness ... I liked them both when comparing like-and-kind models ... so ... pick 'em up shoot em and choose what feels and shoots the best for you...
happy shooting

I've been a .357 Magnum guy for quite a while, but have been aware also that I may need to carry the .44 Magnum on my trips into the wild. On a recent trip to Texas, I rented both the S&W 629, and the Ruger Redhawk, and I'm certain I couldn't go wrong with either, I thoroughly enjoyed firing both. But there are things I'm certain I can learn from others and their opinions, so I thought I'd ask for opinions... Given these two fine revolvers, which would you recommend, and what are the recommending features or things you disliked about them? Thanks in advance....

This poor guy sure could have used a 44 magnum if not something bigger...Very scary stuff.

I like the S&W..Double action in case one hand was out of commission...
The grips just fit my hand better which gives me the ability to run more rounds through her.Link Removed

.44 mag

Just my two cents but both are nice guns. I personally like the .44mag to have a 4" barrel since I don't necessarily hunt with it but as a back up when near bear. I like the feel of the 629 in my hand and the heft of the Redhawk. Both guns are in my family but I recently picked up a Taurus M-44s/s which is growing to be my favorite. I know Taurus gets a lot of bad reviews but I own two (.44mag and Judge Public Defender) and both revolvers work flawlessly. I couldn't be happier with them. My father and brother who own S&W and Ruger seem to be shooting my Taurus more often. All great guns, maybe I lucked out with decent weapons. The Taurus is also ported and very heavy which I find a great combo for shooting hot handloads. Furthermore the Taurus new was only $460, over 1,000 magnum rounds through it without any issues.

Rugers are more rugged and I believe less expensive than S&W plus S&W jumped in bed with the antigun crowd back in the Clinton era not to mention some other shortcomings. They may have changed lately but I still prefer Ruger or another before S&W.

The Dark Side of Smith & Wesson

Link Removed

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back