When cops go bad

I'm going to rant a bit...

What the police in all levels of law enforcement in this country need to understand is that "we the people", who have entrusted the police with the duty and authority to enforce the law, are fed up with their inability to address the fact that it is their duty to arrest all criminals.... even the one's who are wearing the same uniform they are .. and that the "thin blue line" is really nothing more than the crime of conspiring to hide the fact that there are criminals who wear uniforms.
But don't you know? All that means is that "you think the world owes you a living". How DARE you even SUGGEST that the police have a duty to OBEY the law?

You're clearly just a "scorned African-American"... or Irish-American, or Finnish-American, or whatever. Just keep your mouth shut and your eyes downcast, and don't even THINK about criticizing our masters in blue...

Once again clarification is needed. It's really not hard to grasp. You said all cops are bad and I said not all are bad. I didn't say no cops are bad .
And I definitely didn't say they are our masters! Thanks for this pathetic banter today!

And in New Orleans (as elsewhere) those "good" cops cheerfully covered for the bad ones... for YEARS.

Trusting the police is like picking up every snake you see on the assumption that it's PROBABLY not venomous.

The police have lost the confidence of large segments of the public. It's nobody's fault but their own.

When they engage in very ostentatious shows of support for degenerate thugs like Tony Abbate and Daniel Harless, they make clear to the public that when the choice is between a bad cop and the public, they'll choose the bad cop every time.

This right here is a fact. Its a fact that there are good cops and its a fact that there are bad cops, but the fact that all the good cops will defend all the bad cops make all the cops as a whole look like a bunch of corrupt thugs that can get a way with anything by hiding behind there badge.

Tripletap:312306 said:
I'm going to rant a bit...

What the police in all levels of law enforcement in this country need to understand is that "we the people", who have entrusted the police with the duty and authority to enforce the law, are fed up with their inability to address the fact that it is their duty to arrest all criminals.... even the one's who are wearing the same uniform they are .. and that the "thin blue line" is really nothing more than the crime of conspiring to hide the fact that there are criminals who wear uniforms.
But don't you know? All that means is that "you think the world owes you a living". How DARE you even SUGGEST that the police have a duty to OBEY the law?

You're clearly just a "scorned African-American"... or Irish-American, or Finnish-American, or whatever. Just keep your mouth shut and your eyes downcast, and don't even THINK about criticizing our masters in blue...

Once again clarification is needed. It's really not hard to grasp. You said all cops are bad and I said not all are bad. I didn't say no cops are bad .
And I definitely didn't say they are our masters! Thanks for this pathetic banter today!

Maybe I'm missing it...when did he say all cops are bad? Can you quote him please.

Among your various flights of fancy, you declared that I "think the world owes me a living." I don't recall saying that. Could you provide a quote for that?

If you'd make that up, why should anyone believe anything else you say in your effort to establish the police as a ruling caste?

"they make clear to the public that when the choice is between a bad cop and the public, they'll choose the bad cop every time."

The key word there is "THEY" and " EVERY TIME". So I ask ,who is they? ( I think he means cop what do you think he means) If a good cop chooses a bad cop "EVERY TIME" ! Does that make him good or bad? So I guess he did not actually say the words " every cop is bad" but it doesn't take a brainiac to figure out the message he is spewing.

Tripletap:312326 said:
"they make clear to the public that when the choice is between a bad cop and the public, they'll choose the bad cop every time."

The key word there is "THEY" and " EVERY TIME". So I ask ,who is they? ( I think he means cop what do you think he means) If a good cop chooses a bad cop "EVERY TIME" ! Does that make him good or bad? So I guess he did not actually say the words " every cop is bad" but it doesn't take a brainiac to figure out the message he is spewing.

K so he hasn't said it unless you infer meaning. He doesn't trust the majority of police, neither do i, you do, and? End of story. Life moves on. We all still deal and or work with them on a daily basis. So guys...guess what, neither of you are right or wrong, and you won't be changing each others minds. Want to call it quits?

That is not a bad idea at all...there is an app for speed traps and such. Why not make an app where users get to put in the first and/or last name and/or badge number and a short review (good or bad). Then, during a stop, the tech savvy can say, "One sec, I'm going to run a background check on you." See if he has a past of kindness or rudeness with the public he serves. This could even go out to the fire and EMS side, for quality assurance.

Anyone know a good software engineer? We could call the app Badge 411.

Good idea Firefighter but someone beat you to it. It's called ratemycop at Link Removed. It's only been around for a few years so it is still growing. This would be a good way to track the number of complaints and see the trend of a-hole cops grow.

I witnessed a local township cop threaten to arrest a friend on his own property for nothing more than not cooperating in a case of tenant against landlord (my friend) and stolen electrical services by tenant. So when the cop threatened my friend with arrest he said "yeah go ahead" and "what's the charge" and the cop fumbled and then said "don't worry, I'll make something up" and I thought what a richardhead and I couldn't believe that he actually said he would make something up. About a month later my friend had a physical altercation with the same tenant who was in the process of being evicted and when my friend called the police to make report the same cop showed and basically said he was s.o.l. and just took a report and said we have better things to do. Some cops are just there for a paycheck and to bully people.

Remember go to ratemycop.com

So when the cop threatened my friend with arrest he said "yeah go ahead" and "what's the charge" and the cop fumbled and then said "don't worry, I'll make something up" and I thought what a richardhead and I couldn't believe that he actually said he would make something up.
That's why it's SO vitally important to carry some sort of voice (and video if practical) recorder when there's even the SLIGHTEST possibility of interaction with the police, never mind when carrying a firearm.

When cops get in trouble they LIE. In this they are no different from anybody else... despite LIES to the contrary.

YouTube and other venues are awash with video and audio recordings of cops lying to and about citizens.

In the Bartlett case here in Ohio, Harless and his partner Diels lied in their official reports. Diels later LIED UNDER OATH during Bartlett's trial.

The viciousness with which cops in places like Illinois and Maryland have tried to prevent citizens from recording them while engaged in public business is all the evidence you need to know that it's a VERY good idea and sometimes VITAL to your liberty, and indeed to your safety.

"Most people now break many laws during the course of their day that they don’t even know exist. The presumption of innocence no longer applies. Over the past several decades, police have become increasingly militarized and increasingly militant and abusive. For years, complaints about abusive police from members of the black community have fallen on deaf ears. Propaganda-induced ignorance will cause many to dismiss this issue still."

"Some people are concerned there will come a time in the United States when the military will be brought to bear on the regular citizens in a time of riots or civil unrest. But it’s more likely we should fear the police, who are already showing a proclivity to attack and abuse citizens — including children — and are obviously preparing for civil unrest."

Why It Doesn’t Pay To Cooperate With Police:
Why It Doesn

Police paranoia is as bad as gun paranoia and both are equally narrow minded. There are bad cops and good cops. There are good gun owners and bad gun owners. The video did a good job of seeking out the bad cops just like the Brady Campaign finds the bad examples gun owners. What better way of turning public opinion against a particular faction then showing the worst that can be found?

Surprising how much anti cop and bigotry there is on this thread.

Police paranoia is as bad as gun paranoia and both are equally narrow minded. There are bad cops and good cops. There are good gun owners and bad gun owners. The video did a good job of seeking out the bad cops just like the Brady Campaign finds the bad examples gun owners. What better way of turning public opinion against a particular faction then showing the worst that can be found?

Well Walt, maybe it's due to the militarization of police and their gestapo mentality. The FOP is becoming anti-citizen and when the citizens try to exercise their rights and get shot, tased, beat or arrested for no reason then the small percentage of these cops that go above the law make all the rest look bad. Good cops will not go against the police brotherhood to rat out a bad cop. We have some serious problems in this country; A govt that wants to enslave us through their bulls**t laws, an economy on the verge of collapse, a pending racial war, foreigners just waltzing across our borders and now we have to worry about being brutalized by our own police for simple things like not signing traffic tickets or refusing to show ID when it's not required to or filming them or non-compliance when they say jump. This is a growing trend and why is it?

If Cops Can't Taze a Pregnant Woman, The Terrorists Will Win:

In its brief on behalf of the officers, the Los Angeles County Police Chiefs Association (LACPCA) and the National Tactical Officers Association (NTOA) insist that refusing to allow police to use electro-shock torture against a pregnant woman would fatally undermine the principle of “pain compliance” on which social order – as they pretend to understand it – depends.

Pro Libertate

Also Walt this isn't about a few bad cops, this is about a whole nation of police using unnecessary force against non-violent people for very menial crimes if any crime at all was committed. I think you fail to see that. The police have been given powers they shouldn't have

Well Walt, maybe it's due to the militarization of police and their gestapo mentality. The FOP is becoming anti-citizen and when the citizens try to exercise their rights and get shot, tased, beat or arrested for no reason then the small percentage of these cops that go above the law make all the rest look bad. Good cops will not go against the police brotherhood to rat out a bad cop. We have some serious problems in this country; A govt that wants to enslave us through their bulls**t laws, an economy on the verge of collapse, a pending racial war, foreigners just waltzing across our borders and now we have to worry about being brutalized by our own police for simple things like not signing traffic tickets or refusing to show ID when it's not required to or filming them or non-compliance when they say jump. This is a growing trend and why is it?

The growing trend is what has already been discussed, Slide. Average citizens are not willing to push back. They have been educated that the "government knows best" so the sheople just go along and accept what is given to them even it is is abuse from the very agency that is supposed to be protecting and serving the public.

The fact remains that there are, without a doubt, some bad factions of any given group. All the thing you list here can't be blamed on any one political party (and don't have a lot to do with bad cops) but are a byproduct of a society that is willing to let someone else make the decisions. Unfortunately for us, our educational system is stacking the deck against selfreliance and reinforces dependency on the government to do for society rather than society doing for itself.

Once that dependency is established, getting pushed around by authority becomes second nature. So when the cops encounter someone that does not prescribe to the dependency factor, issue will arise.

I think you misconstrued what I was saying. Factually there are good and bad. Period. There is a lot of anti cop bigotry in the thread. Period. That doesn't mean both are not well earned by the ones that deserve it.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...sg=AFQjCNGklMZ9GACHeqlaRalldjxGk4XLKQ&cad=rja

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...sg=AFQjCNEtQ2OqrD_A40I415h0rWddEiZt-g&cad=rja

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...sg=AFQjCNFxouX-aO42NyqJseuO_3fpOT1btw&cad=rja

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...sg=AFQjCNFzMFMIXQ3fwfG5SNBJ9Z0a7bAHVA&cad=rja

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...sg=AFQjCNG4frLnUskEdRZZcj5TNTS3vEVQBA&cad=rja

And the list goes on. Who ever said bad cops get away with doing the bag thing obviously has not done any research on the issue. These are from about 45 seconds of Google search on "police officer arrested". To say that ALL bad cops get away with EVERYTHING because the other cops protect them is a patently false statement.

I especially like the State Trooper busting the Miami police officer after a high speed chase.

And the list goes on. Who ever said bad cops get away with doing the bag thing obviously has not done any research on the issue. These are from about 45 seconds of Google search on "police officer arrested". To say that ALL bad cops get away with EVERYTHING because the other cops protect them is a patently false statement.
I recently had somebody respond in a similar way to a comment I made about police departments not policing themselves. The only problem was that in EVERY example he cited, the cops in question were investigated and busted by the ***FBI*** and prosecuted in ***FEDERAL*** court. The police do NOT police themselves, and in almost every case I've seen where there was misconduct, up to and including murder, the rank and file were vocal in their DEFENSES of the perpetrator(s). Even moreso, the FOP is a reliable enabler of the worst police behavior. The Chicago Lodge of the FOP has publicly declared that convicted wife beaters should be allowed to own and carry firearm... but ONLY if they're cops.

I especially like the State Trooper busting the Miami police officer after a high speed chase.
Did you miss the reaction of the Miami cops, including threats of retaliation? The police blogs lit up with hatred for the trooper.

It's SOP for the "good" cops to look the other way when the "bad" cops are being bad, hence the murders of Katrina refugees in New Orleans, the murder of Kathryn Johnston by the Atlanta cops, and the decades long torture ring and the S.O.S. home invasion crew in Chicago.

Police don't always protect each other in preference to citizens, but that's the way to bet... and the ones who don't pay for it.

Link Removed

What do you all think? First screen...just click the badge to get to a:

Service: [drop down menu Police, Fire, EMS]

Badge Number:

First Name (optional):

Last Name (Recommended):

Location (Recommended):

Search

That is an idea good enough to make me buy an iPhone:cool:

fudo:314209 said:
Link Removed

What do you all think? First screen...just click the badge to get to a:

Service: [drop down menu Police, Fire, EMS]

Badge Number:

First Name (optional):

Last Name (Recommended):

Location (Recommended):

Search

That is an idea good enough to make me buy an iPhone:cool:

Longslide all ready pointed out another website that rates police officers. I kind of gave up on this idea after that...but seeing the website longslide linked doesn't have an app for android or iphone, and it only covers police, I may still try and put this thing together.

I disagree . The sentiment may be a little off but it is accurate enough. With the nature of the law, and the incentive for cops to "catch you" doing, whatever it is you are doing even if you don't know it is illegal because that is their job, nobody should trust an officer , ever. An officer is just another man/woman you don't know, and they normally have a buddy, who you also don't know. And I have never seen an instance where one will call the another on their errors in judgement at the moment it matters, when they are infringing the rights of another.
I am definitely not saying the men and women that become officers are untrustworthy. But one should never trust a cop. hard job.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back