What's the best pocket carry capable revolver

I had a hard time from choosing between the sw 637, and the 642. i choose the 637 because i like the option to shoot single action. if i saw the 442 i probly would of bought it because it's black.:fie:

I, too, have very limited experience with revolvers - I like my autos!! However, my wife's got tiny hands and there are only about 3 autos that fit her hand well and they're all more $$ than I wanted to spend. We ended up fitting her with a Taurus 851 CIA, 2" .38Spl. To my surprise, I became very fond of it and am thinking of getting one for myself. Makes a good pocket/BUG, IMO. We both like it a lot. Getting it Crimson'd up.

As far as High Points go - why were they even brought up? This thread's about wheelguns. I had a HP handgun once. I had a couple feeding probs with it - tweeked the magazine and it shot alright. They're somewhat accurate and reliable but WOW they're top-heavy! Not the most ideal carry gun but managable. I liked my HP 9mm carbine much more than the handguns.

a colt detective special or other snubbie?

boris the Detective Special is a fine gun however it is a little on the big side to be a pocket gun especially if one is going to carry it in a pants pocket. Also a hammer less revolver is perhaps better suited for the job as it is less likely to hang up on clothing when drawing it. IMHO.

I currently have a Ruger SP101 in .357 and it has a hammer. It works fine, but I didn't originally buy it with pocket carry in mind. It's fairly heavy, but very reliable.

If I were shopping for a pocket revolver, I'd probably go with the Ruger LCR. I got to handle one at the NRA Annual Meetings and I thought if was very impressive. My 2nd choice would be one of the S&W airweights.

This thread is supposed to be about pocket carry capable revolvers. Instead, I see people posting about stuff like High Point autos which are neither pocket carry capable or revolvers. Anyway...to get on point...I agree about the new Ruger LCR. It's a completely new design in revolvers. The trigger action is different from anything that I've ever tried. I tried one at the NRA Convention here in Phoenix and the LCR has the most linear trigger pull of any double action that I've ever tried. Also, they only weigh 13 1/2 ounces and they are 38 Spl +P capable. If I didn't have my 16-ounce titanium Taurus 605SH2 357 mag I'd go out and but a Ruger LCR. Come to think of it...I may buy one anyway. They're a whole new dimension in compact carry revolver!

re: the LCR

I handled an LCR at a gun show a couple weekends ago and liked the feel of it. The magazine ads for it make it appear smaller than it actually is. It IS incredibly lightweight and the trigger/system is truly unique...and awesome. I'd be interested in one but I'm going to let s'more time go by first, let the gun prove itself, see if any kinks or complaints pop up about them that need worked out. Upon my initial evaluation tho, without having fired it, it's a highly capable, pocketable gun. She's got potential, for sure. Throw something from Crimson Trace in the mix and you got a pretty sweet thing going...

The S&W j frames are hard to beat. Spurless hammer or spured hammer is not really that big a deal, you adapt to what you have. As far as pocket holsters go, Rob Mika make the best one in my opinion. Excellent concealment, and it stays in your pocket when you draw. Like any new piece of gear, you need to get familiar with it.

Pocket carry - should also include an appropriate holster.

I have a Taurus Model 85CH (no exposed hammer). It's heavy but is very reliable. Taurus makes a line with covered, bobbed hammers that are not too expensive. I also have a Model 605 (with an exposed hammer) that is .357. Both shoot fine and are reliable.

I had a hard time from choosing between the sw 637, and the 642. I choose the 637 because i like the option to shoot single action. if i saw the 442 i probly would of bought it because it's black.:fie:

I have both (and 5 other S&W revolvers including a total of 5 J-Frames)and I pocket carry with a TN HCP. Which one depends on how you dress. Long pockets (slacks and Carpenter Jeans) would merit the 642 (probably the best pocket revolver made) but short pockets (Chinos and stylish jeans) would indicate the 637, which is just enough smaller in outline to hide in short pockets.

If you swich you wardrobe around and can afford only one gun, the 637 is a safe bet. Best solution is to buy both!

taurus model 605 357 mag with C.T. grips. fits in the front pockets of your jeans an is easy to get to, if ya have too:biggrin:

Go to the shop and try a Khar PM-9 or a Keltec PF-9, There both real flat and don't print. If you decide on a pocket auto, Make sure that you get the clip extention for your pinky finger. I carry one, I took a IWB holster and removed the belt clip. it will carry nicely in your back pocket.:biggrin:

best lightweight

When I can't easily carry my XP45, you will fing the S&W 442 with Barami Hip Grips in my waistband. No holster for the little wheel gun. I also do not load +P for carry. Second shot placement is too important with a non-major round. Light weight carry + regular pressure load is the way to go.

When someone mentions, carry in their pocket or carry in their purse, are they generally speaking of carrying without a holster? I was taught you should Never carry a firearm with or without a Hammer in a pocket/purse due to the fact that it CAN and WILL get caught on something with damaging results to ya or someone else. I'm not going to get into this topic to deep because of going off topic but thought I would mention it. I see Alot on here about carrying in said pocket or purse etc.

1911 Headbanger- You say you have had them all or have shot them all..... Does this include a HiPoint too? I own three HiPoints and have NEVER had a problem. I've read where Some people do and some do not. That still does not make it a terrible brand. Doesn't everyone have issues with their firearms? Obviously, they (HP) are not the best firearm, but they are accurate, shoot well, they are also big and ugly, and affordable for someone on a "budget". HP was my brand when I first started shooting. Now, with $ saved I upgraded to Other brands. My C9 is just too bulky which is why I do not carry it all the time, but I would still trust it with my life. I'm sure you've been around longer and have had more experience with many weapons than me, but to say "They were bought out by the same people that own and operate "Hi-Point" if that tells you anything", is like getting into the Ford is better than Chevy or vice versa wars. They are all mechanical and they ALL have issues. Sorry folks for going Off topic, but I didn't want to open a new thread and wanted to comment on the above issues. Maybe a new post for another time.

99.9 percent of us on this forum who when speaking of pocket carry, use a pocket holster. Most holster mfg's make pocket holsters for this application. Hope that helps.

By the way, most all snub nose revolvers are excellent for pocket carry. Reliable too...pull trigger, goes bang.

442 Smith with a good self defence +p round for when carrying, plain FMJ stuff for range duty, I keep mine in a ankle rig works great

99.9 percent of us on this forum who when speaking of pocket carry, use a pocket holster. Most holster mfg's make pocket holsters for this application. Hope that helps.

By the way, most all snub nose revolvers are excellent for pocket carry. Reliable too...pull trigger, goes bang.

EXACTLY. +1. Taurus 851 CIA here - 5rd 2-inch .38 (+P)

Kahr PM 40 ... Small, Flat, 21 oz. Loaded;
Kahr PM 9 ... Small, Flatter, 19 oz. Loaded;
Diamondback 380 ... Smaller, Flatter, 12.5 oz Loaded;
& all 3 have Real Sights!

Personally I like the S&W 642. It is hammerless and is rated for +P rounds. I even put a crimson trace laser grip on it for daily carry.

I apologize to all readers of this thread!

I looked at the thread title on a portable device that cut off part of the title, I missed the "REVOLVER" part completely, and I posted babbling about my favorite pocket autos.:hang3:

Sorry for being a blockhead!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back