What states allow OC?

Good morning, I was wondering which states allow for open carry, I travel a lot for my job and take my side arm everywhere I can. I have the Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps, so I know where I can and can't carry as concealed, now I'd like to know where Which states I can OPEN CARRY in. Does anyone out there know. Please post which state your from and weather or not you can or can't OC in it please.

Georgia is an OC state

V/R
Chris
Harris County, GA

Missouri is an OC state and you can carry without a permit.
You do still have to be careful in certain cities with laws barring OC but we are working on that. It is unconstitutional due to State preemption.

I open carry in your state. You cannot carry period in mine, SC. I live close to Georgia. Freedom is only 30 minutes away. Carry on GEORGIA!

Kentucky, constitutional OC state, no license or residency required.

Only places off limits, detention center, most courthouses and K-12 schools. Note that the prohibition only applies to the actual buildings except K-12 which you may only possess in your vehicle. A matter of immediate need of the firearm for self defense of self or others legally negates the prohibition.

Tennessee is OC only with a Handgun Permit. You may also carry CC with the permit. Places off-limits when carrying:
1. It is lawful to possess a firearm on the premises of a public place where alcoholic beverages are served as long as such individual is not consuming alcoholic beverages. However, a restaurant may choose to post a sign prohibiting firearms.
2. It is unlawful to carry a firearm into a judicial proceeding.
3. It is unlawful to possess or carry any firearm, with the intent to go armed, onto any school or college facility or grounds (to include a bus), unless used for instructional or sanctioned ceremonial purposes.
4. It is unlawful to carry a weapon into a meeting where the owner has posted prominent signs pursuant to § 39-17-1359 at all entrances banning weapon possession.
5. It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, with the intent to go armed, any weapon prohibited by § 39-17-1302(a), not used solely for instructional, display or sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in or on the grounds of any public park, playground, civic center or other building facility, area or property owned, used or operated by any municipal, county or state government, or instrumentality thereof, for recreational purposes.

6. You can drop off a student at school as long as the gun is not handled while doing so. You can also leave it in your car if you are a non-student adult.

7. It is general excepted that Government owned Parks, Civic Center and recreational areas are off limits.

8. It is a violation of the law to carry where it is posted with this sign:

PURSUANT TO § 39-17-1359, THE OWNER/OPERATOR OF THIS PROPERTY
HAS BANNED WEAPONS ON THIS PROPERTY, OR WITHIN THIS
BUILDING OR THIS PORTION OF THIS BUILDING. FAILURE TO COMPLY
WITH THIS PROHIBITION IS PUNISHABLE AS A CRIMINAL ACT UNDER
STATE LAW AND MAY SUBJECT THE VIOLATOR TO A FINE OF NOT
MORE THAN FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($500).

The wording must be substantially similar. A sign with a picture of a handgun with a slash through it does not count.

I hope this helps.

Missouri is an OC state and you can carry without a permit.
You do still have to be careful in certain cities with laws barring OC but we are working on that. It is unconstitutional due to State preemption.
My little city doesn't allow OC. It is very hard to keep up with them little cities within the state on which allow and which doesn't so it is safer to play CC instead. It doesn't really matter, practice with what you got to live with.

Don't forget that unless you possess a license issued by the state you are actually standing in at the time, that 1000' of any public school property is off limits according to Federal law.

I open carry in your state. You cannot carry period in mine, SC. I live close to Georgia. Freedom is only 30 minutes away. Carry on GEORGIA!

I should have qualified that with the fact that you can OC if you have a hunting license and are in the woods hunting.

Are you saying you OC everywhere in SC?

KK

You can oc in Nevada, with the eception of N. Las Vegas, this is not the same as Las Vegas, tollay separite, there own mayors, own police dept., the only legal way to carry in N.Las Vegas, is to have a ccw, and most conceal

You can oc in Nevada, with the eception of N. Las Vegas, this is not the same as Las Vegas, tollay separite, there own mayors, own police dept., the only legal way to carry in N.Las Vegas, is to have a ccw, and most conceal

Not true at all. It is perfectly legal to open carry in N. Las Vegas with no permit required.

NRS: CHAPTER 268 - POWERS AND DUTIES COMMON TO CITIES AND TOWNS INCORPORATED UNDER GENERAL OR SPECIAL LAWS

NRS 268.418 Limited authority to regulate firearms; restrictions concerning registration of firearms in city in county whose population is 400,000 or more.

1. Except as otherwise provided by specific statute, the Legislature reserves for itself such rights and powers as are necessary to regulate the transfer, sale, purchase, possession, ownership, transportation, registration and licensing of firearms and ammunition in Nevada, and no city may infringe upon those rights and powers. As used in this subsection, “firearm” means any weapon from which a projectile is discharged by means of an explosive, spring, gas, air or other force.

2. The governing body of a city may proscribe by ordinance or regulation the unsafe discharge of firearms.

3. If the governing body of a city in a county whose population is 400,000 or more has required by ordinance or regulation adopted before June 13, 1989, the registration of a firearm capable of being concealed, the governing body shall amend such an ordinance or regulation to require:

(a) A period of at least 60 days of residency in the city before registration of such a firearm is required.

(b) A period of at least 72 hours for the registration of a pistol by a resident of the city upon transfer of title to the pistol to the resident by purchase, gift or any other transfer.

4. Except as otherwise provided in subsection 1, as used in this section:

(a) “Firearm” means any device designed to be used as a weapon from which a projectile may be expelled through the barrel by the force of any explosion or other form of combustion.

(b) “Firearm capable of being concealed” includes all firearms having a barrel less than 12 inches in length.

(c) “Pistol” means a firearm capable of being concealed that is intended to be aimed and fired with one hand.

(Added to NRS by 1989, 652; A 2007, 1289)

There is no NRS which permits N. Las Vegas to enact their own prohibitions against carrying a firearm in a manner which is legal by state law.

Not true at all. It is perfectly legal to open carry in N. Las Vegas with no permit required.

NRS: CHAPTER 268 - POWERS AND DUTIES COMMON TO CITIES AND TOWNS INCORPORATED UNDER GENERAL OR SPECIAL LAWS

There is no NRS which permits N. Las Vegas to enact their own prohibitions against carrying a firearm in a manner which is legal by state law.

OK! lets test your belief, name time and date and place will be on Lake meade east of Las Vegas blvd in front of N.Las vegas PD, I'll meet you there, and will see if your not placed under arrest? put up or shut up

KS law

In kansas it is left to local jurisdictions, county ans city to decide. Some parts of the state have open some dont and the consequences of open carry.

OK! lets test your belief, name time and date and place will be on Lake meade east of Las Vegas blvd in front of N.Las vegas PD, I'll meet you there, and will see if your not placed under arrest? put up or shut up

I never said you would not get arrested. I said it was not illegal to open carry there. You need to understand what state preemption means. State preemption means that the municipal government of N. Las Vegas has an illegal ordinance on their books. I will be happy to come down there and open carry in front of the police station. All I require is paid airfare, hotel and per diem for meals. It certainly would not be the first time I have open carried in violation of an illegal ordinance.

Then, when someone gets arrested you file a lawsuit such as this:
Seattle gun ban is illegal, Appeals Court rules - seattlepi.com

and force the municipal government to comply with state law.

NavyLCDR:240097 said:
Don't forget that unless you possess a license issued by the state you are actually standing in at the time, that 1000' of any public school property is off limits according to Federal law.

Technically accurate, haven't ever heard of anyone actually being charged though.

Technically accurate, haven't ever heard of anyone actually being charged though.

Link Removed

Gun Free School Zones
We have taught over 400 people in CC. Kristen and her significant other took the class about 6 months ago. Last week her sig other was driving and stopped for speeding in a school zone on a public street. He told the officer he was carrying and had a permit. He was arrested for carrying a weapon in a school zone and had his gun taken. There is a statute in the US code, 18USC 921-924 that does prohibit carrying a loaded firearm within 1,000' of school grounds.

NavyLCDR:241569 said:

Link Removed

Gun Free School Zones
We have taught over 400 people in CC. Kristen and her significant other took the class about 6 months ago. Last week her sig other was driving and stopped for speeding in a school zone on a public street. He told the officer he was carrying and had a permit. He was arrested for carrying a weapon in a school zone and had his gun taken. There is a statute in the US code, 18USC 921-924 that does prohibit carrying a loaded firearm within 1,000' of school grounds.

So according to this statement since my private property sits next to a school zone and is within 1000 feet, I can not have a loaded firearm? Also it was my impression that if you are just driving through the school zone with a ccw with no intention of stopping that's legal. At least in Ohio. Back to the original question, in Ohio it is legal to open carry no permit required.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back