what should i do now?

Goodness, how terrifying. You have already done the right thing...you are alive.
It's been three months and possibly you're able to not think about your attack every second.
It took me a while to be able to go out the door.
Now that you have some space...develop a plan.
Look at your "everyday" environment, become more aware.
Sounds like you were at work, maybe develop workplace system to increase safety for everyone.

Weapons are good but only if you know how to and are willing to use them.

Your auto pistol is a recoil operated machine, in order to operate properly it must have a solid support to recoil against. A firm grip on the gun (similar to strong hand shake grip) and a solid lockup of the wrist will eliminate limp wristing.

As to your cleaning supplies, Rem Oil has a heavy solvent content and while good for cleaning it's a pretty poor lubricant. Pick up some Link Removed it's silicone based, food safe, odorless, colorless and won't stain your clothing. Use it to lube your frame rails and barrel locking lugs.

Link Removed

"SUPER LUBE" SYNTHETIC GREASE

• 3 oz
  • Multi purpose lubricant w/Syncolon (PTFE)
  • Prevents rust & corrosion while reducing friction
  • Repels dirt, dust, grit and grime
  • Dielectric
  • Impervious to salt water
  • USDA authorized, rated H-1
  • Temperature range -45F to +450F
  • Clear, non-toxic
  • Tube

Hi RJ, Could you please explain what limp wristing is??? Sorry for the dumb question....:)

I think I've told you before, there are no dumb questions! Link Removed

If your jams were because of limp-wristing, it isn't necessary to understand the physics of it, because the cure for it is pretty simple. The part of this video that I want you to focus on starts around the 2:00 minute mark, where the instructor is demonstrating what positions both of your hands should be in.

Pay particular attention to when he rotates his left wrist forward, aligning his thumb exactly parallel to the slide just underneath it. Just getting your hands in that configuration and applying a firm grip with both should eliminate any failures to feed (FTF) or failures to eject (FTE) associated with limp-wristing. Make certain that your weapon is unloaded (meaning, double, triple, even quadruple-check it), and you can practice attaining this grip at home until it becomes second-nature. In fact, there's a whole lot of things you can practice at home, gripping, dropping and reloading (empty) magazines, dry-fire exercises for proper trigger control, drawing from your holster, all kinds of stuff. Just stay obsessively aware when you're practicing anything at home, no live ammo anywhere near where you're doing your exercises.

Bill mentioned the possibility that the jams could have been because both weapons are new. That is true. Most weapons need some minimum break-in period before they run like a well-oiled machine. If you have an improper and/or weak grip when firing a weapon, your wrist can "flop around" for lack of a better description, bleeding off some of the inertia needed to fully actuate the slide. That is the basic explanation for "limp-wristing." Even a minor amount of limp-wristing on a new weapon can exacerbate the potential for FTEs and FTFs during the break-in period. Mastering the grip demonstrated in that video will eliminate at least that as the cause of any FTEs and FTFs. The break-in period will take care of itself as you continue to send lead downrange.

Hope that helps.

Blues

hold the gun tight enough so it comes back to target after recoil line your wrist up with your forearm straight and you shouldn't have that problem and even when shooting from the hip or other positions hold firm not way too firm but a good firmness ..you'll get the hang of it
best always
Thanks eagleeyes! For answering the question on limping.. I hope to give Bill's weapon a try again sometime soon, to see if this is the issue. Most likely it has to be. I will give you an update later.

Basically, limp wristing is leaving slack in your grip that absorbs enough of the recoil energy to prevent the gun from cycling properly. It's a pretty common issue with beginning pistol shooters, so don't worry about it. Just work on ensuring that your wrist is locked and that you have a firm (not tight) grip on your pistol.
Thanks Numenor! For your help, there is alot to learn. I am sure this is the reason, hope to do my best to not let this happen again. I will give you an update on my next range session.

Your auto pistol is a recoil operated machine, in order to operate properly it must have a solid support to recoil against. A firm grip on the gun (similar to strong hand shake grip) and a solid lockup of the wrist will eliminate limp wristing.

As to your cleaning supplies, Rem Oil has a heavy solvent content and while good for cleaning it's a pretty poor lubricant. Pick up some Link Removed it's silicone based, food safe, odorless, colorless and won't stain your clothing. Use it to lube your frame rails and barrel locking lugs.

Link Removed

"SUPER LUBE" SYNTHETIC GREASE

• 3 oz
  • Multi purpose lubricant w/Syncolon (PTFE)
  • Prevents rust & corrosion while reducing friction
  • Repels dirt, dust, grit and grime
  • Dielectric
  • Impervious to salt water
  • USDA authorized, rated H-1
  • Temperature range -45F to +450F
  • Clear, non-toxic
  • Tube

Thanks SGB! You are the best! I will run over to wally world this afternoon and pick up this item before I start cleaning. Thanks also for helping me with the limping it. :)

I think I've told you before, there are no dumb questions! Link Removed

If your jams were because of limp-wristing, it isn't necessary to understand the physics of it, because the cure for it is pretty simple. The part of this video that I want you to focus on starts around the 2:00 minute mark, where the instructor is demonstrating what positions both of your hands should be in.

Pay particular attention to when he rotates his left wrist forward, aligning his thumb exactly parallel to the slide just underneath it. Just getting your hands in that configuration and applying a firm grip with both should eliminate any failures to feed (FTF) or failures to eject (FTE) associated with limp-wristing. Make certain that your weapon is unloaded (meaning, double, triple, even quadruple-check it), and you can practice attaining this grip at home until it becomes second-nature. In fact, there's a whole lot of things you can practice at home, gripping, dropping and reloading (empty) magazines, dry-fire exercises for proper trigger control, drawing from your holster, all kinds of stuff. Just stay obsessively aware when you're practicing anything at home, no live ammo anywhere near where you're doing your exercises.

Bill mentioned the possibility that the jams could have been because both weapons are new. That is true. Most weapons need some minimum break-in period before they run like a well-oiled machine. If you have an improper and/or weak grip when firing a weapon, your wrist can "flop around" for lack of a better description, bleeding off some of the inertia needed to fully actuate the slide. That is the basic explanation for "limp-wristing." Even a minor amount of limp-wristing on a new weapon can exacerbate the potential for FTEs and FTFs during the break-in period. Mastering the grip demonstrated in that video will eliminate at least that as the cause of any FTEs and FTFs. The break-in period will take care of itself as you continue to send lead downrange.

Hope that helps.

Blues
Thanks Blues! I definitely have no unanswered questions after your explanation. Thanks so much and I will update you after my next range visit. You are absolutely the best!...:)

SuperPrincess may I suggest some Tetra Gun Grease to put on the slide rails and lug lock rotation for the barrel?
I use it and it does an exellent job.

:victory:

Thanks Numenor! For your help, there is alot to learn. I am sure this is the reason, hope to do my best to not let this happen again. I will give you an update on my next range session.

Hi SP, also don't forget that with use the limp wristing of a particular pistol will get better no matter who is shooting it, as some others have said when you field strip and clean a spot of oil is ok for the trigger mech and other parts, but it does help to use a good gun grease on the rails, I use tetra, but I have use all sorts of automotive stuff, the opject is to slick it up so the slide fires back super easy with as little drag as possable, and if you clean after each session the fact the what ever grease you use may gather dust, dirt, or whatever, don't matter, as for the cleaning before lube don't waste you money on that high dollar gun cleaning stuff, go to your auto parts place and get a can or two of brake parts cleaner, it dries clean, spray the whole gun and parts, wipe down, then lube, grease reassemble and your good to go

Wow....excellent descriptions on limping, never even thought of that. You know I did notice a couple of times now that I think of it that there was a little more wrist movement during recoil than what I have noticed before. Hopefully it is that simple. Have a great day.

Princess. Re; your shooting to the left. I'm sure that SGB can give you a better instructing/explanation, but it may be a result of your finger placement on the trigger. When I was trained, and that was more years ago than I care to count, we were told to make sure that the trigger is only on the first pad of the finger, between the crease and tip. Never allowing the crease to touch the trigger. I don't recall the exact reason, but as I recall it was something to do with the further the finger is on the trigger, the more it has a tendency to "curl" rather than pull, thus pushing the barrel to the left. I am not an instructor, nor am I an expert. Hopefully someone here can give you an understandable explanation.

Hi SP, also don't forget that with use the limp wristing of a particular pistol will get better no matter who is shooting it, as some others have said when you field strip and clean a spot of oil is ok for the trigger mech and other parts, but it does help to use a good gun grease on the rails, I use tetra, but I have use all sorts of automotive stuff, the opject is to slick it up so the slide fires back super easy with as little drag as possable, and if you clean after each session the fact the what ever grease you use may gather dust, dirt, or whatever, don't matter, as for the cleaning before lube don't waste you money on that high dollar gun cleaning stuff, go to your auto parts place and get a can or two of brake parts cleaner, it dries clean, spray the whole gun and parts, wipe down, then lube, grease reassemble and your good to go

ONLY USE non chlorinated brake parts cleaner and know that it completely strips all lubrication from the parts cleaned with it.

Princess. Re; your shooting to the left. I'm sure that SGB can give you a better instructing/explanation, but it may be a result of your finger placement on the trigger. When I was trained, and that was more years ago than I care to count, we were told to make sure that the trigger is only on the first pad of the finger, between the crease and tip. Never allowing the crease to touch the trigger. I don't recall the exact reason, but as I recall it was something to do with the further the finger is on the trigger, the more it has a tendency to "curl" rather than pull, thus pushing the barrel to the left. I am not an instructor, nor am I an expert. Hopefully someone here can give you an understandable explanation.

Your description of proper trigger finger placement is correct. However diagnosing the reason one is grouping off center is often more complex than just the placement of the trigger finger. Unequal pressure between the strong and weak hand, clenching, thumb pressure, flinching, anticipating or shifting eyes off the sights are a few examples.

ONLY USE non chlorinated brake parts cleaner and know that it completely strips all lubrication from the parts cleaned with it.

Your description of proper trigger finger placement is correct. However diagnosing the reason one is grouping off center is often more complex than just the placement of the trigger finger. Unequal pressure between the strong and weak hand, clenching, thumb pressure, flinching, anticipating or shifting eyes off the sights are a few examples.

She'll get it. This is a determined lady. She'll get that bad boy sighted in on the mark in two weeks.

September Eleven Two Thousand One

Our gracious God gave us a beautiful day
With a sky of endless blue
No clouds to be seen
A day of possibilities
Love and serenity
With peace for all mankind
A most beautiful extraordinary day
September eleventh two thousand one

With a devious plan
Chaos the perpetual enemy
Came from a far land
Filled with jealousy
Filled with animosity
He came to our land of liberty

North Carolina Texas Alaska
The land of milk and honey
Home of the free and the brave
New York, California Tennessee

With a vengenance
In a mad crazed frenzy
He broke the hour glass
Poured out the sands of time
He threw the lightning bolts
Committed a heinous crime

In an instant Our great nation
Fell to its knees
Stunned into disbelief
Hearts were broken
Dreams were shattered

A great voice in the clouds
Heard around the world
Cried out “Lets Roll”
Chaos had no more lightning bolts
But he had taken his toll

Our gracious God was there
His heart was broken
For what he had seen
He opened his arms
And welcomed
Our people to Heaven
On this beautiful September eleven

superprincess do you ever sell your poetry? Check out Helium.com I have sold a few stories I wrote on Helium.

:triniti:

Hey Princess, I agree. look into selling or atleast publishing your poetry. It's very good. I have been swamped this week but am thinking I can make our usual noon Friday range visit if you are up to it and willing, as before i'll know better tomorrow and let you know. Hope you had a good week.

Hey Princess, I agree. look into selling or atleast publishing your poetry. It's very good. I have been swamped this week but am thinking I can make our usual noon Friday range visit if you are up to it and willing, as before i'll know better tomorrow and let you know. Hope you had a good week.

Thanks Bill, for your nice compliment, if I knew for certain, maybe I would try publishing. Yea please let me know about Friday, I know you are a very busy man. So if you can't make it I will understand. :)

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back