What is Your Favorite Open Carry Holster?

What is Your Favorite Open Carry Holster?

• 3 Speed Holsters

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alabama Holsters The Ranger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Biancho Basket Weave

• Blackhawk

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Blackhawk Ambi hip holster

• Blackhawk QCQ*

• Blackhawk Serpa CQC*

Votes: 21 40.4%
  • Comp-tac paddle

• Crossbreed Holsters

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Desantis

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Don Hume

• Don Hume 721

• Fobus paddle holster

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • K Holster

• Old Faithful Holsters

• Raven Concealement

• Safari Level III

• Uncle Mike's slider

• Total voters

lukem

Administrator
Staff member
A few people asked for a sticky topic on what their favorite open carry holsters are. Let's get some entries and then I'll create a poll.

A few people asked for a sticky topic on what their favorite open carry holsters are. Let's get some entries and then I'll create a poll.

When I used to open carry (while on duty), my favorite holster was for my Glock 19...

It's an all black leather, 'forward cant', Bianchi, basket weave style holster with a thumb snap release.
I cannot find it right now, but I dug up the exact same style holster that I have for my Glock 21 and I'm looking at it as we speak...
It has "#19L2 Glock 20" enscribed on the back.

Why would I prefer to carry the Glock 19 (9mm) instead of the larger, more powerful Glock 21 (.45 acp) while on duty you may ask??
Because I'm only 5' 8" tall and I have medium sized hands.

The Glock 19 was much more comfortable for (me personally) to carry all day than the larger & bulkier Glock 21...

I also could not afford to spend anymore of my hard earned money$ on the Glock 23 (.40), which would have been ideal for me back then.

I still love the Safari level III. I use it for both my Springer XDM.40S&W and the Range Officer .45acp 1911. Retention is very important to me.

I like my Blackhawk. I don't know model numbers etc., but it's molded to fit the gun (plastic or whatever) and has that trigger finger release mechanism that reinforces keeping finger placement while drawing. Adjustable cant, and inexpensive.

I carry a cheaper line of holster. It is an Uncle Mike's I bought at Wal-Mart. It has great retention. I have had people try to pull the gun from the holster, no one has succeeded, and yet I can draw it quickly and easily. I am sure some of the fore mentioned are great holsters. I like mine for the cost and function. I bought one for my sr9 and one for my xdm45.

I have a variety of holsters, different styles, different manufacturers, but the ones I use the most are the leather pancake holsters with thumb snap. Don Hume for my XD45 and DeSantis for my 1911.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I like my Blackhawk. I don't know model numbers etc., but it's molded to fit the gun (plastic or whatever) and has that trigger finger release mechanism that reinforces keeping finger placement while drawing. Adjustable cant, and inexpensive.

I used the Blackhawk for several months before switching to the Safari. The Blackhawk is a good holster and got some bad press (undeserved) because some instructor and a few students shot themselves in the foot when drawing from it. Seems as though they couldn't depress the button properly and as the gun came out their finger wound up inside the trigger guard and BANG!!. Some instructors won't even allow the holster in class now. I have not had that problem as my finger falls alongside the flat of the gun right where it should be. I don't believe equipment can ever be blamed for causing accidents. Holsters don't make decisions, people do. Understanding how your equipment works is your responsibility and if you do that you shouldn't have a problem. Oh yeah, Practice, practice, practice helps too. I think it's called "muscle memory".

I use my Blackhawk Ambi hip holster the most. It fits all my guns except the pocket pistols. I take it hunting sometimes too.

Im partial to paddle holsters for comfort. The newer model serpas are pretty nice. The older models had some problems with operator error though.

All of the holsters mentioned before this post should be on the poll now. If you have something that isn't on the poll enter it as a post like the example below. This will allow us to easily go through and add the new holsters to the poll. Now get over to the poll and vote!

Example:

New Holster for Poll: Don Hume 721

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back