What is the 4thn of July?

SFC

It's a time for barbecuing, fireworks and partying, Huh?

Our military has made many sacrifices in the fight for freedom, and this day is just a reminder to be thankful for those brave souls that fought so gallantly for our Independence. Thanks must also be given for the insightful men who signed the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution that protect those freedoms.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. (United States Declaration of Independence, July 4, 1776)

Remember our Armed Forces as they are protecting our freedoms; Shake a veteran's hand and tell them Thanks for their service, and fly your American flag proudly (please not upside down)

SFC
US Army

Without them we cannot have our barbeque safely in our backyard. A big THANK YOU! soldier! -- this goes too for those who were/are not fighting in the battlefields but keeping the fire burning here at home...

Thank you to all of my fellow Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines, and Coast Guardsman.

Not a day goes by I don't think about you. Not a day goes by I don't think about the sacrifices you make everyday. You are truly the most selfless people I've every had the privilege of serving with.

Thank you from an Airman, who has been there with you... and learned what you had to teach. If you're in a combat zone, be safe and come home to the people who love you. If you're stateside, keep your fellow brothers and sisters in thought.

God Bless America!

My Time to serve and fight has passed and I lay down my weapon at long last
I pass down the torch to those young and strong to pick up the fight and to carry it on
With my freedom in mind and my heart at ease I pray for their safety upon my knees
With valor and courage they wage the war to stop the tyranny that stands at the door
Our fore fathers laid out the path to walk and we shed our blood not just talked the talk

My time to serve and fight has passed and I lay down my weapon at long last
Our soldiers with traditions rise
To be our hero’s in my eyes
With honor and might that cannot be subdued
These soldiers of ours earn my gratitude
They lay down their life so readily to protect what my forefathers guaranteed me
My time to serve and fight has passed and I lay down my weapon at long last
I lay down my weapon at long last

The Declaration of Independence and the Constitution of these United States is something we should carry in our hearts not just study in school.
The fight for our independence and our freedom is never over it only changes form as time passes.
I believe the great men that laid down the foundation knew this, and I am proud to say that I live in a Country where so many have been willing to give all they have to protect what has been afforded to me.
My Thanks goes out to all that make this possible
This is what The Fourth of July means to me.
Proudly
Patrick Fries

How many people signed the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776?

Since there is some conflicting information on this I will leave it to the reader to do the research as an exercise in your civic duty.

Since there is some conflicting information on this I will leave it to the reader to do the research as an exercise in your civic duty.

There were 56 signers but I believe they signed it on July 2, 1776. It was not until July 4th that it was adopted by the Continental Congress.
Could I be wrong? Please say it ain't so!

I am a retired Marine ( 30 years active duty) and a Viet Nam War veteran (6 years in country.) But I think we are going off track as to the purpose of the 4th of July. The Fourth doesn't honor or celebrate the military, it celebrates an action ,the announcing of the Declaration of Independence, signed by by civilians btw, that set us on the course to become free. We have other days to honor our veterans, but the Fourth belongs to everybody and it is meant to be a joyous and friendly time. It belongs to all Americans.
As far as demanding homage for our time in combat, my dad served 4 years straight in the Pacific in WWII and my Grandfather fought in France in WWI. We are not the only ones to fight and for damn sure we won't be the last. The people can be reminded of our sacrifices on Veterans' Day and Memorial Day. Let the U.S. Citizen have his barbecue and rejoice in the fact we are all free on the Fourth.

For what its worth. Answer is unknown and probably zero as the actual document may not have even existed until July 19, 1776.

Signing the United States Declaration of Independence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fifty-six delegates to the Second Continental Congress in Philadelphia signed the United States Declaration of Independence, a statement announcing that the thirteen American colonies then at war with Great Britain were now independent states, and thus no longer a part of the British Empire. Although the wording of the Declaration was approved by Congress on July 4, the date of its signing has been disputed. Most historians have concluded that it was signed nearly a month after its adoption, on August 2, 1776, and not on July 4 as is commonly believed

Again, the date isn't important. The Fourth of July is the day we put aside to commemorate the creation of the Declaration of Independence. With that document we told the world that Kings did not have the God-given right to rule over other men, but that men could decide their own destinies. That legacy belongs to every one of us, not just military or political party members (the new Kings!) I think that the Fourth should be a day of jubilation not a day of somber reflection and guilt feelings about obligations. There are other days put aside for reflection and homage.
Celebrate freedom, and do it with your friends and neighbors. Put another burger on the grill and pass me a beer. It is supposed to be that kind of day.

Saw a quote I like, from the Arctic Patriot. I think it pretty well sums up Independence Day and the Spirit of 1776.

On the Fourth, we celebrate open rebellion, high treason, and disobedience.
We celebrate men who killed their countrymen for their principles.
Men who risked being demonized and executed by their government, for their principles.
Don’t you ever, ever forget that.
Ever.
It’s not about apple pie, baseball, fireworks, and the Declaration of Independence.
The Fourth is about men holding to their principles strongly enough to lead to killing, rebellion, and treason.
Such actions led them to freedom.
Expensive, horrible, priceless freedom.

– Arctic Patriot

None, The document was signed August 2nd, 1776.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back