what is north Carolina's rules on open carry

Burt xd 40

Hi I am moving to moorsville nc in a month and I have my concealed carry permit for pa I was wondering what the laws were on open carrying in nc.

Like jhodge said it is permitted but check local laws & no carry in a place selling alcohol for consumption on premesis. Download the laws from this nc link,

http://www.ncsheriffs.org/firearms.htm

Also mooresvile is a nice town as far as i can tell, i live just south of charlotte in SC which has no open carry :( unless hunting/fishing.

Like jhodge said it is permitted but check local laws & no carry in a place selling alcohol for consumption on premesis. Download the laws from this nc link,

Link Removed

Also mooresvile is a nice town as far as i can tell, i live just south of charlotte in SC which has no open carry :( unless hunting/fishing.

ahhh yes...forgot the restaurant/alcohol carry provision. luckily for us in SC it looks like we may get that ability soon.

Well thanks I appreciate it a lot. It is a new world down here not as laid back like in my home town where ya have Amish for neighbors lol.

One "caveat" to the open carry law that most probably don't know but has been pointed out to me by gun shops when asked about the issue:

§ 14‑288.3. Provisions of Article intended to supplement common law and other statutes.
The provisions of this Article are intended to supersede and extend the coverage of the common‑law crimes of riot and inciting to riot. To the extent that such common‑law offenses may embrace situations not covered under the provisions of this Article, however, criminal prosecutions may be brought for such crimes under the common law. All other provisions of the Article are intended to be supplementary and additional to the common law and other statutes of this State and, except as specifically indicated, shall not be construed to abrogate, abolish, or supplant other provisions of law. In particular, this Article shall not be deemed to abrogate, abolish, or supplant such common‑law offenses as unlawful assembly, rout, conspiracy to commit riot or other criminal offenses, false imprisonment, and going about armed to the terror of the populace and other comparable public‑nuisance offenses. (1969, c. 869, s. 1.)

As I understand, if someone complains that you are, for example, brandishing a weapon and it frightened them or their children, this could be considered "to the terror of the populace".

I haven't confirmed this with any "official", but it's nice to know.

ToddR, I'm a NC law enforcement graduate. You my friend, indeed are Correct on the Armed to the terror of the public law.

plain and simple dont open carry here in nc unless you want to see the inside of a jail cell

Funny...there are a whole bunch of people here who have not seen the inside of a jail cell:

Link Removed

They even gather in groups in public! Oh the terror of it all!

All I'm saying is OC is not worth all the trouble it can bring. It can put you in the "pretty bracelets". Though OC is legal in NC, just One phone call will most likely end in way more than you wanted.

All I'm saying is OC is not worth all the trouble it can bring. It can put you in the "pretty bracelets". Though OC is legal in NC, just One phone call will most likely end in way more than you wanted.

Some people prefer to not cower under the oppressive thumb of what the government might do in response to their perfectly legal activities.

Funny...there are a whole bunch of people here who have not seen the inside of a jail cell:

Link Removed

I live in NC and I know people that OC and it really is doable with some consideration to local laws and circumstances. The issue with "going armed to the BLAHBLAH" is NOT the sight of a mere holstered gun, that's been settled. It's either brandishing or say walking down main street with a shotgun and an M4 over your shoulder and a frown on your face.

Link Removed

If I could afford to have an attorney on retainer, I wouldn't hesitate to open carry. However, even though the chances are slim I would end up in jail (and slimmer to actually get convicted), I don't have the resources to test the system. ****, I'm pissed it costs $150 every 5 yrs to have a concealed carry permit. Again, if I had the resources, I wouldn't even pay for the permit and just fight any issues in court that it's my RIGHT to carry period.

If I could afford to have an attorney on retainer, I wouldn't hesitate to open carry. However, even though the chances are slim I would end up in jail (and slimmer to actually get convicted), I don't have the resources to test the system. ****, I'm pissed it costs $150 every 5 yrs to have a concealed carry permit. Again, if I had the resources, I wouldn't even pay for the permit and just fight any issues in court that it's my RIGHT to carry period.

Yes, you still can get your right in this country. If you can afford to pay for it, that is. Sad.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back