what is north Carolina's rules on open carry

If I could afford to have an attorney on retainer, I wouldn't hesitate to open carry. However, even though the chances are slim I would end up in jail (and slimmer to actually get convicted), I don't have the resources to test the system. ****, I'm pissed it costs $150 every 5 yrs to have a concealed carry permit. Again, if I had the resources, I wouldn't even pay for the permit and just fight any issues in court that it's my RIGHT to carry period.

Why does it cost you $150 every 5 years? What county are you in. The permit renewl fee is supposed to be $75.

When i first got my permit, it was about $200 total (I think it was $90 for the training, $80 for the application/permit, and $10 for fingerprints.) But my renewal was only $75...no finger permits or additionl training required (Wilson County)

ToddR, I'm a NC law enforcement graduate. You my friend, indeed are Correct on the Armed to the terror of the public law.

A holstered weapon does not constitute brandishing. Walking around with a holstered weapon does NOT constitute a violation of this law. just saying.

This subject has come up here before, and by statute, simply openly carrying a firearm does NOT meet the standard of "Going armed to the terror of the public".

Here is a similar discussion from another board:

"What you fail to comprehend is that there are some VERY subtle and SPECIFICALLY PARTICULAR wording being used in the GAttTotP law. Those commas are breaks in the descriptive requirements of the violation, and you MUST meet all three descriptive criteria to be in violation. To make it more clear, I'll reformat the wording:
By common law in North Carolina,
  1. it is unlawful for a person to arm himself/herself with any unusual and dangerous weapon,
  2. for the purpose of terrifying others,
  3. and go about on public highways in a manner to cause terror to others.
So this is a "3 pronged" violation. You must be armed, AND it must be your specific intent to use your weapon to terrify people, AND you must be on a public highway (which under NC law is defined as ANY roadway, sidewalk, or thoroughfare that is maintained by ANY governmental body)

If you do not meet ALL THREE of these criteria, you are NOT committing the violation of GAttTotP.

You must also pay particularly close attention to the second criteria. This violation is what they call in the legal world, a "crime of intent". It is not based on any action that is on it's face illegal, but rather it is a violation based on the INTENT of the person being charged.

So, if I am legally and lawfully carrying a firearm in a holster, and not being rude or threatening, or have not expressed the desire, intent, or purpose of using that firearm to threaten or intimidate people, then I am NOT committing the violation of GAttTotP"

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/gene...-what-north-carolinas-rules-open-carry-3.html

This subject has come up here before, and by statute, simply openly carrying a firearm does NOT meet the standard of "Going armed to the terror of the public".

Here is a similar discussion from another board:

"What you fail to comprehend is that there are some VERY subtle and SPECIFICALLY PARTICULAR wording being used in the GAttTotP law. Those commas are breaks in the descriptive requirements of the violation, and you MUST meet all three descriptive criteria to be in violation. To make it more clear, I'll reformat the wording:
By common law in North Carolina,
  1. it is unlawful for a person to arm himself/herself with any unusual and dangerous weapon,
  2. for the purpose of terrifying others,
  3. and go about on public highways in a manner to cause terror to others.
So this is a "3 pronged" violation. You must be armed, AND it must be your specific intent to use your weapon to terrify people, AND you must be on a public highway (which under NC law is defined as ANY roadway, sidewalk, or thoroughfare that is maintained by ANY governmental body)

If you do not meet ALL THREE of these criteria, you are NOT committing the violation of GAttTotP.

You must also pay particularly close attention to the second criteria. This violation is what they call in the legal world, a "crime of intent". It is not based on any action that is on it's face illegal, but rather it is a violation based on the INTENT of the person being charged.

So, if I am legally and lawfully carrying a firearm in a holster, and not being rude or threatening, or have not expressed the desire, intent, or purpose of using that firearm to threaten or intimidate people, then I am NOT committing the violation of GAttTotP"

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/gene...-what-north-carolinas-rules-open-carry-3.html

Well said, thank you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back