What benefits to open carry?

The statistics that show crime, particularly confrontational crime goes down when "shall issue" carry is instituted and continues to go down as more people carry concealed. The two books by John Lott go into it in quite a bit of detail with the most comprehensive study ever done on gun control laws and crime.

I understand the "shall issue" carry and crime goes down thing, "goes down" however is a very minor statistic in the overall scheme of things. Phoenix for instance is OC & CC, but has an extremely high rate of crime regardless. If the majority of citizens were to arm themselves and let it be known, crime would go down, but that will never happen. When only 1, maybe 2 % of the citizens CC, and 99 9/10 of crime is unaffected because of those 98% who don't, crime doesn't go down. A mugging, rape, etc., being thwarted by a citizen with a CCW is almost unheard of, let alone home invasion where the majority of people don't have guns even in their homes. I agree that if more citizens would arm themselves there would be less crime, but until the statistics show that the majority of citizens are armed that won't happen per the statistics. The BG's know the statistics, and the odds of a person being armed, and the odds are in their favor. Everyone is not protected or safer just because "shall issue" is legal or instituted, only the CCW holder, carrying concealed, is safer. Not safe, just safer. With OC the odds change 99 % in favor of everyone being safe or safer. IMO. :pleasantry:

For me the benefit of open carry is more about comfort. If I do not have to conceal, any outfit will suit open carry...My holster have good retention and I do not allow anyone to come oh sooo near me anyway. I am not a hugger kind of woman either unless it is my husband of course and my kids. Other people, though it sounds cold..., I shake hands....

:wacko:

Do you know what state allows a 14yr old to walk down the street with a "HAND" gun?

Before the advent of CC laws, I did carry a handgun in TN and MS at times. But, since the CC laws have been implemented I know of NO state that allows anyone under 18 carry a handgun; UNless they're hunting with an adult.

I do not remember what state it is but it came to light in one case. I may be wrong but I seem to remember and too lazy to look it up but at least one state allows 16 year olds to obtain a Concealed Permit. This was the argument that SLED was making when SC was debating the change in Reciprocity.

I would agree that the BGs would think twice about victimizing citizens if they took the time to think about who may be carrying and who may not. Unfortunately, while crooks spend lots of time thinking of their next brainiac move :fie: , I am not sure they spend any time researching statistics. If we applied the same logic to cops that is used in the argument of CC over OC then why don't we ask Police Officers to stop wearing uniforms and start concealing their handguns and cuffs? This way crooks would not know who were cops and who weren't. By this logic, crime would then be non-existent. In fact, no more marked patrol cars. Now no-one will speed.

You may say, "Great idea!. Put a plain wrapper on everything and crooks will be too scared to commit crimes." Wrong. They will just be too scared to commit crimes against those who look like cops in plain wrappers.
The flaws are obvious when this theory is applied to law enforcement because we know their uniformed presence is a deterrent to crime. Just like we know that OC is a deterrent to crime. We also know that we are all wary of the unmarked cars just like some of the smarter crooks are wary of the CCer. However, we all know when we are on that straight two lane road and don't see a car in sight we are apt to drive a little faster, but we are never really sure where the next cop may be hiding so we don't push it too far.

I think a healthy balance of both CC and OC are good for society because it keeps the crooks guessing. However, the best reason to OC I have found is that it cuts down on the liberal rhetoric when standing in line at the grocery.

Troy Perry
Link Removed

I do not remember what state it is but it came to light in one case. I may be wrong but I seem to remember and too lazy to look it up but at least one state allows 16 year olds to obtain a Concealed Permit. This was the argument that SLED was making when SC was debating the change in Reciprocity.

OK i will start by answering the trivia question for 500 Alex. "What is Montana?" The way the law read just a few weeks ago when I was reading through MT's laws said that one must be 14 years of age to carry a handgun in the open without supervision. I am wondering what the stipulation is for one with supervision. I was studing thier laws for an upcoming trip and still cant believe but also know my children wont test it. (they are only 5yrs and 6 months)

As for OC vs CC I have to agree with alot on here and remember your asking this under the Open Carry thread not the Conceal Carry thread. That OC is better then CC for everyone. The BG is no longer "guessing" who has a gun he KNOWS. I have recently OC for my first time and will do more in the future but just like under my last thread I Finally Did It I fell there is a time and place to cover it up to avoid confrontations. But if I were a BG and I saw someone OCing then I would have to go on to wonder how many more guns are there in this store that I cant see. But if I didnt see any guns at all I would probally not think about the CCers SO i have to say OC is a much bigger stop sign the "ohh yeah this state shall issues I should watch my self"

With the study of the women that were raped and or were able to fend off the attackers with or with out a gun how many of the women in that study were openly carring when they got raped? I willing to bet not a whole lot because the numbers prover that the gun fends them off once the BG knows about it show IMO if she were OC then the attack wouldnt have happened to her and she would not be included in the study. But yes a woman that is CC is going to defend her self better then the one with out a gun but why get let yourself be a victim and have to draw your weapon.

I do NOT carry my firearm so that I can go kill someone or shoot a BG. I carry to protect me and my family from the BG attacking us and doing so with the least amount of force available. If this means I draw and he runs then I succeeded but if that means Im able to high tail it outta there then guess what Im doing BUT if I can get the BG to realize his life is in danger and go somewhere else or just leave me alone by OC then why wouldnt I do that? I am not here to protect everyone I am NOT a bodygaurd or LEO. I AM an armed citizen here to deter crime from me and my family. I have to ask you know why do you carry? To stop the BG or to shoot a BG?

I didn't know that either; and I'm not sure I can believe it without proof. If true this would be ridiculous.

Did you get this info from the OpenCarry.org site?

I think a healthy balance of both CC and OC are good for society because it keeps the crooks guessing. However, the best reason to OC I have found is that it cuts down on the liberal rhetoric when standing in line at the grocery. :lol:

Troy Perry
Link Removed

I agree completely while I'm LOL!

Four states don't even have an age limit, guess they expect the parents to (gasp) make the decision if their children are mature enough.

Link Removed

Four states don't even have an age limit, guess they expect the parents to (gasp) make the decision if their children are mature enough.

Link Removed

I can agree with allowing parents to decide if a child is "mature" enough to handle a firearm in hunting and target shooting situations. But, I don't know about for SD purposes.

On "ONE" hand, it seems to me that parents should be able to decide; AND some sort of qualifying (something similar to a hunter safety course) required. On the "other" hand, I don't think children should be subject to this kind of responsibility.

I almost shot a bully with a shotgun when I was about 14. I would have been totally & completely within my rights because he had broken into my home and physically attacked me. However looking back, a ballbat or some other weapon would have been a better choice. As a child of 14, I just could not control my rage at this guy.

There is NOT a day that goes by that I'm glad the safety was on.

But then again, in this day & age teenage children need the ability to protect themselves more than ever! I know when my kids reach that age I will do everything in my power to see they are "fully" able to protect themselves. :triniti:

It drives me crazy just thinking about it! :shout:

I would urge you again to read John Lott's books that are the most complete evaluation of the actual facts. It covers a lot of different laws and combination of laws. They are a good read and I know the first book is available in paperback and maybe the second so it's not all that expensive.

None that I can think of, when you work in uniform armed you have to constantly be aware of the location of your firearm and people who are around you to make sure someone does not try to snatch the gun. Remember they can see it easily and plan their approach if you are not paying attention. Concealed, they don't really know you are carrying anything (if done right) and you don't have to be on constant alert for folks moving up on your gun side (remember they don't know the guns their). I have a much more relaxed day carrying consealed then open. That said , if you are working around your ranch all day open carry is a diffrent story.

I open carried in AZ 13 years ago because I had no CCW. I had NO problems then.

I have a CCW and ask what are the benefits of OC? Why would I open carry besides that I CAN?

I am not trying to start a flame war or rubbing my CCW in anyone's face.

Personally, I believe that WE have the right to carry any way we want. I CCW all of the time. I wear it unless I am in the shower or bed.

Does anyone open carry when they have a CCW? Is open carry mainly in areas where a CCW is near impossible to obtain? papa

I usually do oc at my home. if I am going to shopping, fishing, store, and every where I MUST concealed carry.

The bg can see your openly carry and wait for you come out of the store the bg can attack you and take your firearm away and took off from your loss firearm. you have to call to the police that your gun has stolen by the bg.

I usually do oc at my home. if I am going to shopping, fishing, store, and every where I MUST concealed carry.

The bg can see your openly carry and wait for you come out of the store the bg can attack you and take your firearm away and took off from your loss firearm. you have to call to the police that your gun has stolen by the bg.

There's no evidence that BG will wait to attack OCers. If you know of any cases, please cite your source.

gf

Sure, that could happen, but there has never been a documented case of it happening in reality.

However, we do have documentation of the following:

Link Removed

Link Removed

Sure, that could happen, but there has never been a documented case of it happening in reality.

However, we do have documentation of the following:

Link Removed

Link Removed

This is exactly the kind of incident where EVERYONE benefits from OC. The cops, the patrons, the Waffle House employees and even the crooks. I say the crooks, because the only thing that happened to them was an arrest.

Two men who were minding their own business thwarted a violent attack and never drew a firearm. This is the way it should be. In case you didn't read the story this is the most important part...
"Captain Jerry Quan, the Commander for Precinct One, where the Waffle House is located, confirmed Matt Brannan's story as one in which the open display of a pistol deterred a well armed robbery crew. "

Troy Perry
Link Removed

Crooks like to find the path of least resistance. Though well armed, when presented with a situation where they knew that there would be armed people in their way, they decided to look for another target.

This goes contrary to many who believe that BG will simply shoot an OCer first, or possibly target an OCer to steal their firearm.

gf

There's no evidence that BG will wait to attack OCers. If you know of any cases, please cite your source.

gf

I just want to throwing it on the table like I said, but it could happen you never know.

lol, no I don't know of any case out there. But I have heard a lot of group OCers get together at the pinic park, starbuck, deli, and so. Group is much safer than being alone. If you are alone OC they (BGs) are easly target you, but GROUP is great OCers. IMO :biggrin:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back