what about bear spray

kelcarry

Currently on a trip from SC to northeast and it is obvious that having a firearm is a fruitless exercise in not following the laws of several states for gun carry concealed or even in car. Even in SC, there are sufficient restrictions that do not exactly make it the easiest or most lawful way to protect one's self.---ie evening dinner in restaurant that serves alcohol prohibits my CC. For self defense with a bit of distance involved, I have thoughts about carrying a cannister of bear spray. Any thoughts? Always the possibility of a taser but they are a little more "complicated" cost wise etal.

Check the state laws about carrying of the spray and the tazers because some states outlaw the for carry.

Go with a good, streaming pepper spray, preferably one with a hard plastic case that can be used as a yawara stick or impact weapon.
Be aware that legality of size and potency of pepper sprays varies among states.
Also, get involved with a good hand-to-hand system designed for combat, not sports. One need not be a black belt to defend themselves effectively.

When I sit, I always sit with my back to the wall watching the front door, life is short no reason to make it shorter.

Also check out "Pepper Guns". Some brands come with water-based "practice" cartridges so you can get comfortable with the usage and effectiveness etc. I even think Kimber makes one. And +1 to checking the laws, some states and localities have very strict laws on non-lethal weapons and their usage/ concealment.

If I am travelling in my car between several states it seems like it is almost impossible to be be able to legally have a loaded firearm in my car for protection should I get "stuck" somewhere" and must await AAA for assistance. Particularly on a major highway you are a sitting duck with nowhere to go and nowhere to hide. Having a stun gun and a canister of bear spray seems to be the only kind of non-firearm self defense you can possibly have should some kind of "what if" happens. At least it is "something". If someone has a better idea, short of not travelling to any of these nanny god foresaken stupid states, let me know in a reply. Even if I am in SC at night returning to my car from a restaurant that serves liquor, I cannot CC because I cannot CC in the restaurant; at least if I am carrying at least the stun gun or a bear spray, I have a chance in a "what if".

No such thing as a fair fight except in the ring, you jump me and I will use whatever weapon comes to mind and is within reach, or you can dial 911 and wait for police, let me know how that works.

I recently showed the cannister of bear spray that I have to my neighbor, who is an investigator in the prosecuter's office. Yes he does not have a final say on the legality of the cannister and its size, vis a vis the Code of Law in SC, but he was adamant that in a self defense mode, its use would still be considered justifiable, given the very final and end of life alternative of a firearm, and there would be no prosecution. Granted the cannister is not your little lipstick size but if it can deal with a situation some 30 ft away (which I believe is its range--after all we are talking about a charging bear for its intended use and even 30 ft is not a lot), I would rather have it on my belt in a holster than no firearm in SC, where CC is not allowed, say at night at a restaurant serving alcohol, or at an evening church service, which leaves me with a dark walk to my parked car unarmed.

I have some bear spray here. I got it for the next time the neighbor's pit bull gets loose & comes over barking & growling.

Ok I have joke now this is trying to be funny not any comment on bear spray or pepper spray just a joke.
Ok There is this old ranger at a state park out west hearing a young ranger telling some park visitors
how to be careful about bears and stuff and the grizzly and the brown. He saying carry little bells You can buy in the gift shop and bear spray in there too. The bears hear the bells and move away from you and if you startle a bear the bear spray will make them run. The young Ranger looks up and sees the old ranger and says anything you want to say! The old ranger says you can tell brown bear poop by the berrys and leafs in it you can tell the grizzly bear poop by the bells in it and it smells like bear spray.

Yes, we've all(most) heard the bear poop with bells & pepper taste joke about 10 to many times. I will say this though, have you ever fired a large canister of UDAP 'bear spray'? It's very formidable stuff, like anything, it has it's limitations though. It's nice to have multiple options, use what's called for depending on the threat.

Overall, spray can have a lower threshold to deploy, compared to shooting. There is usually less explaining to do afterwards, depending. When it's time to shoot, do so. Ever notice some people are just good 'handlers', I'll call them. Be it animal, or a person, they are just able to control the situation with less than lethal means. JMHO

Hey sour: They call it bear spray for a reason and even a grissly will know it. It is potent, has a range of 30 ft and will stop him. Like a firearm though, you hit him literally anywhere but between the eyes he still can get you. I am no expert but I would believe that all brown and black bears can be similar in size and ferocity so singling out the grissly is more an urban legend than the truth( I could be wrong). Now if you want to talk big--then talk polar--THAT IS A BIG BEAR by a mile over a grissly. The cannister is bigger than the little lipstick pepper containers but can be concealed on a belt like a firearm. As I said, you do not have to make as big a decision about its use vs a firearm, which can, depending on the situation, be a big plus--serious irritation vs deadly force.

The only thing allowed in NYS is small, nondisguised 10% pepper spray.
Could you cite that? Health laws regulate what types of sprays can be used but there is an exemption to charges of criminal possession of a weapon PL 265.20(14) for using any defensive spray in self defense where the use of force is required. The exemption will not apply to minors or those previously convicted of a felony.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back