Warning Shot

The agency that I worked for before retirement prohibited warning shots for safety reasons.

Heck NO! After following the irrefutably great advise of "Tactical" Joe, I'm carrying a double barreled shotgun! If I fired a warning shot, I'd only have one shot left!

Any concealment advise? I wrote Tacticool Joe [Biden of course!] for some additional self defense advise, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet :(

Ok, seriously, No, no warning shots (bears or cougars aside, yes, we have both where I live). I won't say anyone is stupid for disagreeing, but why would you want to? All you've done is used deadly force to intimidate, risked a ricochet or direct hit to an innocent by stander, and wasted a bullet that you might need to stop the fight. You know the bad guy is going to say he was minding his own business and some crazed lunatic (that'd be you), pulled a gun, yelled and tried to shoot him. Don't think you can reasonably explain this away, the Police are conditioned to think the shooter is the BG, and now the BG is painting you as the bad guy. How do you think that's going to go down? Had some cases like this in my state, where the good guy merely brandished a fire arm, and even that was enough to cost him over $40k in legal fees to prove his innocence; all because the BG called 911 first.

Any bullet that is fired from a gun is a DEADLY WEAPON.
I hate to nit pick but a bullet is not a weapon, it is a PROJECTILE, the gun that fired the bullet is the weapon, this comment sounds as if it could have been said by that genius woman in CO

My warning shot is my hand on the grips of my gun and my other hand drawing up my concealment garment..

I believe there is a woman in Florida serving time for firing a warning shot near her husband. Endangering others is not a good idea.

Firing a warning shot is probably one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of. In the city, it will get you into a whole lot of trouble. In the woods, it may be effective if used to deter an animal, but I'd be very careful.

Hmm. I always thought the warning shot was to be aimed at the BG. You know, when you hear the bang, that's your warning to duck. Not my fault the BG didn't duck fast enough. :p

I agree; warning shots waste ammo. Verbal warnings are (or should be) understood immediately. If they aren't, well, things are going to get rather ugly for a perp.

This is the story that started the conversation. Her initial comment was "Way to go grannie", and mine was "Warning shots are a bad idea" and so the argument goes.
Link Removed

I agree; warning shots waste ammo. Verbal warnings are (or should be) understood immediately. If they aren't, well, things are going to get rather ugly for a perp.

Agreed......But what if the perp is a rebellious teenager??
I think this parent showed a pretty effective way of utilizing 'warning shots'......:cool:

NO WARNING SHOTS. If one carries deadly force, one must commit to using that deadly force for its intended purpose.
As to the woods and animals? I generally eat them.

Racking a round into the chamber is the only warning shot I can come close to giving.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2

I'm having a discussion about warning shots. There have been a few listed in news reports lately and I told the person I was talking with that warning shots are a bad idea... and so the argument started.
I was told that I was stupid for thinking warning shots are a bad idea. Of course I disagree.
1) Negligent discharge of a firearm if your not 100% where the bullet will stop
2) Give the BG additional time in his advance
3) Cause undo panic if it isn't a life threatening situation
4) ...

What say you?

Biden is screwed up. Warning shots, particularly those fired into the air, will land you in the pokey - and Biden will laugh all the way into retirement. Warning shots fired in a building carry with them the risk of hitting innocent bystanders.

If one feels they must issue a warning, then either get a pump action shotgun or verbally instruct bad guys to leave the premises while they still can in a very loud voice.

$(KGrHqVHJEwFIHWRnqdZBSClqBw1yQ~~60_57.JPG

I will always fire a warning. It is called muzzle flash, about .002 seconds before the bullet hits the BGs forehead.

I'm having a discussion about warning shots. There have been a few listed in news reports lately and I told the person I was talking with that warning shots are a bad idea... and so the argument started.
I was told that I was stupid for thinking warning shots are a bad idea. Of course I disagree.
1) Negligent discharge of a firearm if your not 100% where the bullet will stop
2) Give the BG additional time in his advance
3) Cause undo panic if it isn't a life threatening situation
4) ...

What say you?

Let's assume that in whatever town, borough, city that you live in, that it is indeed lawful to fire a warning shot. Let's look at how this plays out.

How do you practice for a warning shot? You are at the range, performing drills for self-defense. You draw your weapon, now what? Where do you point it safely? Do you fire it in the air like all those cowboys did in the 1950's TV shows (and those bullets never seemed to fall back to the ground)?

Now since practicing a warning shot has its limitations, what will you do when confronted with a BG? BG is there, you draw, now what? Where do you point it safely? Are there others around? Are there buildings around where your bullet could go through them? Will the firing of your weapon cause panic and chaos? Do you say anything to the BG first?

It is my opinion that the only time to draw my self-defense weapon, is when my life or family members' life is in imminent danger. Other than that, my firearm stays holstered. If I or a family member are in imminent danger of serious bodily injury or death than two things may happen: (1) I draw and shoot, or (2) I draw and yell at the person to stop and hold them there until the police arrive... that is if the perpetrator actually does stop his threat of serious bodily injury or death. If not, see option (1). Which happens depends on the situation.

The only time a shot is fired is to stop the threat of imminent serious bodily injury or death.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back