Warning Shot

Rich M

I'm having a discussion about warning shots. There have been a few listed in news reports lately and I told the person I was talking with that warning shots are a bad idea... and so the argument started.
I was told that I was stupid for thinking warning shots are a bad idea. Of course I disagree.
1) Negligent discharge of a firearm if your not 100% where the bullet will stop
2) Give the BG additional time in his advance
3) Cause undo panic if it isn't a life threatening situation
4) ...

What say you?

If one draws their handgun or picks up their rifle and intends to shoot it as a warning, this could be a real problem for them in court. Better to shoot someone if it's really needed to defend ones life, then play games with any warning shots.

I'm having a discussion about warning shots. There have been a few listed in news reports lately and I told the person I was talking with that warning shots are a bad idea... and so the argument started.
I was told that I was stupid for thinking warning shots are a bad idea. Of course I disagree.
1) Negligent discharge of a firearm if your not 100% where the bullet will stop
2) Give the BG additional time in his advance
3) Cause undo panic if it isn't a life threatening situation
4) ...

What say you?
I have been trained to only use my weapon as a method of defending my life if it is in danger, it is not a tool of intimidation.
firing a warning shot is an attempt to intimidate another person and that clearly is not what my guns are for.
If my gun clears leather it is because I feel that my life is in danger and that I need to take steps to stop that threat immediately.

in addition a warning shot violates a few basic safety rules.

Agree completely. Warning shots are (potentially) more dangerous that on-target shots.

Not if you are living or camping in the woods....
Warning shots have been known to be a good way to frighten away wolves, bears, cougars, etc...

I agree warning shots shouldn't be used. If time is available, a verbal warning is better. I would only fire the gun if absolutely necessary.

I don't think anyone in this thread is posting about dealing with animals in any woods.

Well, the fact of the matter still remains that warning shots have been known to be effective if ever confronted by a wild animal in the wilderness.
That's all I'm saying....

Most cities have statutes stating it is illegal to discharge a firearm within city limits, unless it's self defense of course. But good luck claiming self defense on a warning shot. Better swallow your pride and just tell them you're a really sh!tty shot and yes, you did miss that bad.

Read and understand your states firearm statutes. Then decide how you should handle a warning with any firearm.

You're treading on thin ice when using your weapon to 'warn' someone. As far as drawing it and not firing it to deter some sort of physical force...potentially lethal force, then a case can be made for it. In Maine, drawing and displaying my weapon has been proven as 'non-lethal' force and will and has been proven in court. But the situation would have to be just right...because typically as civilian carry goes, if the gun has to come out, things are getting bad. I know some States are more strict and have 'brandishing' statutes. Know them. As far as warning shots, hellllll no. Firing the weapon is using lethal force whether you fire it in the air or into the ground in association with an altercation.

You're treading on thin ice when using your weapon to 'warn' someone. As far as drawing it and not firing it to deter some sort of physical force...potentially lethal force, then a case can be made for it. In Maine, drawing and displaying my weapon has been proven as 'non-lethal' force and will and has been proven in court. But the situation would have to be just right...because typically as civilian carry goes, if the gun has to come out, things are getting bad. I know some States are more strict and have 'brandishing' statutes. Know them. As far as warning shots, hellllll no. Firing the weapon is using lethal force whether you fire it in the air or into the ground in association with an altercation.

I know a lot about how Oklahoma deals with someone who someone just says a firearm was pointed at them.

Not if you are living or camping in the woods....
Warning shots have been known to be a good way to frighten away wolves, bears, cougars, etc...
To scare off a wild animal in the wild, yes. No problem with that. As a private citizen dealing with another human being, never.

Dont argue it is not worth the effort. But seriously sounds like some one has been taking Joe Bidens bad advice. Long and short of it firing a warning shot equates to playing games. The rationale behind legally carrying a firearm is to protect yourself and your family. The firearm is a tool to stop a threat that has drug you into combat with them ie and emminent threat, I would not ever advise a warning shot period.

Any bullet that is fired from a gun is a DEADLY WEAPON. Firing a "Warning Shot" is an act of DEADLY FORCE. Firing a warning shot pretty much gives the other guy a legitimate reason to fear for his life and would allow him to JUSTIFIABLY SHOOT YOU. Remember, every bullet potentially has a lawyer attached to it. Let your warning me verbal if you think one is necessary and the situation calls for it, but NEVER fire without due regard or a designated justifiable target.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back