Today I found out my doctor carries

Ga9mm

I had a doctor's appointment this morning, and left the house ready for work. This meant my primary carry on my back, and my backup in my pocket. I got called back by a nurse, and she asked me to step on the scale. I wasn't thinking about it, and just did it. She commented that I had gained some weight since the last time I was there, and it was more than what she thought was safe. I tried to play it off when I remembered that I had a Taurus with 18 round mag, and a Kel-Tec with six in it. When the doctor came in, he commented on the change in weight. I came clean with him. He asked what I was carrying, and showed me the two Ruger LCP's he carries, one in each pocket. After that, he brought a scale into the exam room and I laid my weapons on a table and got a more accurate reading (which I still wasn't thrilled about). It was kind of funny to see my doctor pull a gun out of each pocket, and comforting at the same time.

I work in a large hospital here in Oregon and a lot of the doctors carry. Even though the hospital has a no gun policy, it's easy to concel under a large pair of scrubs and a white jacket. I feel much safer here at work.

Have ben trying to get my Doc to get his permit, he signed up for it a couple of times and ended up canceling, as far as the weight thing go's I'm to fat without the guns LOL

A good friend of mine is an anesthesiologist. He carries his mini Glock to work and locks it in his locker. By the way he thinks the AMA is a bunch of left wing lunatics.

It bothers me when I enter the VA campus and see the no weapons of any kind sign.

Yeah me too. I noticed they changed the little statement at the bottom of the appointment reminders they mail out here to read "no guns, knives, or weapons of any kind." Used to be just no guns.

They didn't seem to mind that I had a gun and knife when they sent to me Iraq to get shot up. Guess it's Ok to let me be armed so long as they're getting something out of the deal in return.

I was a hospital administrator in the '70's in NYC. My docs formed a "professional men's" pistol club. Many carried. When asked why, the general response was "because I can". Most docs got unrestricted carry permits, otherwise unheard of in NYC because they stated that they carried drugs in their bags even though none ever did. Nobody ever said life was fair. There was and probably still is an "in your face" double standard.

now that's a doctor who cares.. I'm in the process of finding a new doctor here. don't like the one I have been going to. hopefully I can find a similar one as those mentioned in this thread.

I hate to start over with a new doctor; I've been going to mine for 15 years, but it is time for a chabge. I've always known that my politics are on the opposite side of the fence of my doc and I've just tried to keep my mouth shut, but now since Obama care we are fighting over billing issues as welll as politics and I have to drive 70 miles each way just to see her!

I don't know how to even start finding a doctor... I will look closer to home :sarcastic: Any ideas? If I do get set up with a new doctor, will he/she be able to get my records from the old doctor? I hope I can find one that understands my gun habbit:biggrin:
Fondis

I hate to start over with a new doctor; I've been going to mine for 15 years, but it is time for a chabge. I've always known that my politics are on the opposite side of the fence of my doc and I've just tried to keep my mouth shut, but now since Obama care we are fighting over billing issues as welll as politics and I have to drive 70 miles each way just to see her!

I don't know how to even start finding a doctor... I will look closer to home :sarcastic: Any ideas? If I do get set up with a new doctor, will he/she be able to get my records from the old doctor? I hope I can find one that understands my gun habbit:biggrin:
Fondis

Fondis, what I would do (I just did this, in fact) is ask around, preferably people you respect (and who might also be strong 2A types). Started with a new doc last year and am quite happy with him. And yeah, the new doc can request your records from the old one; mine did, anyway. Good luck.

I don't know where my doctor stands on that issue. I went and saw him a few weeks ago for something minor and was carrying. I knew the PT-111 I was carrying would add some weight to my 30 pounds of fat I don't need, but didn't give a crap. He is an Irish Catholic from a family of 11 kids. I don't know what he would have done if he would have thought I was armed.:sarcastic:

I started with a DOC and he retired and his daughter took over 20 years ago. She knows I care and never raised any issues about it.:laugh:

Fondis, what I would do (I just did this, in fact) is ask around, preferably people you respect (and who might also be strong 2A types). Started with a new doc last year and am quite happy with him. And yeah, the new doc can request your records from the old one; mine did, anyway. Good luck.

Thanks JJ I will start asking around.
Fondis

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back