To all NYS (Erie County) Pistol Permit Holders

titaniumman;257228How is one to know he changed the rules without notice?.....This makes no sence to me!.[/QUOTE said:
I would expect a formal letter from the permit office if there were really new restrictions. Moreover, if this is what the judge wanted, why wouldn't he issue a premises permit. After all, a restricted carry permit is still a carry permit.

Mine says "license to CARRY pistol is hereby GRANTED" seems pretty simple...One would think that the act of hunting or target shooting begins when you leave your house with a firearm. since it is my responsibility to keep the firearm in MY CONTROL the easiest way would be to carry it. the fact that this is even an issue is bullsh t. If the judge is afraid to give law abiding citizens what they are entitled to within the law, he should step aside and let someone else occupy the bench. Especially when he has people making special trips to his office to clarify something he is responsible for creating in the first place..... He may need one of us to save his life one day, or someone in his family. it would be a shame if his restrictions prevented just that from happening.

Hi I have a question that can use some answering. I'm about to apply for a CCW pistol permit in Erie County which i've heard is very difficult to get. My question is if my reason for it is a valid one. I work as a bartender in downtown Buffalo to put myself through law school. There are many nights when I walk out of the bar at 3 or 4 am with as much as 1,000 to 1,500 dollars on me from tips. Many times I have to walk about 5 blocks to my car with no one in sight. While working I would keep the pistol locked in my private locker with a trigger lock on it as well. Is this a valid reason? Thanks for any input

I doubt you will get full carry, I would apply anyways it takes around 12-13 months currently to get an approval might as well get started...I doubt Judge Boller will like your reason..especially that you work in a bar...

Hi I have a question that can use some answering. I'm about to apply for a CCW pistol permit in Erie County which i've heard is very difficult to get. My question is if my reason for it is a valid one. I work as a bartender in downtown Buffalo to put myself through law school. There are many nights when I walk out of the bar at 3 or 4 am with as much as 1,000 to 1,500 dollars on me from tips. Many times I have to walk about 5 blocks to my car with no one in sight. While working I would keep the pistol locked in my private locker with a trigger lock on it as well. Is this a valid reason? Thanks for any input

$1,000 to $1,500 per night in tips?

Judge Boller's going to ask to see that tax return.

For starters, only vote for pro 2nd Amendment judges and when this judge is up for re-election, make your voice heard in the voting booth. Secondly, ask your local State Senator to support Senate Bill S2361 - "Provides that restrictions regarding the carrying of concealed weapons and licenses therefor shall be by statute only" - and for your local State Assemblyman to sponsor an Assembly companion bill. Thirdly, yes - carry restrictions issued by judges have been upheld by the courts - this law, if passed, will effectively ban such administrative restrictions that are not codified in to law.

S2361-2011 - NY Senate Open Legislation - Provides that restrictions regarding the carrying of concealed weapons and licenses therefor shall be by statute only - New York State Senate

For starters, only vote for pro 2nd Amendment judges and when this judge is up for re-election, make your voice heard in the voting booth.

A NYS Supreme Court Judge has a wide range of jurisdiction that impacts on our lives way beyond 2A issues. Intelligence, experience, and character far outweigh a person's position on any particular issue, and moreover, judges aren't allowed to run campaigns on issues.

And be thankful that in NYS we can carry in the voting booth, unlike in Florida where voters have to go unprotected while exercising the right to vote.

For starters, only vote for pro 2nd Amendment judges and when this judge is up for re-election, make your voice heard in the voting booth.

A NYS Supreme Court Judge has a wide range of jurisdiction that impacts on our lives way beyond 2A issues. Intelligence, experience, and character far outweigh a person's position on any particular issue, and moreover, judges aren't allowed to run campaigns on issues.

And be thankful that in NYS we can carry in the voting booth, unlike in Florida where voters have to go unprotected while exercising the right to vote.

I can't carry in the voting booth for two reasons.

1. My permit is restricted to hunting and target.
2. My polling place is a high school.

I may be thinking too hard about this but I am now hesitant to buy another pistol for fear of having some new restriction slapped on my permit in addition to the hunting and target crap. Has anyone added a gun lately?

I may be thinking too hard about this but I am now hesitant to buy another pistol for fear of having some new restriction slapped on my permit in addition to the hunting and target crap. Has anyone added a gun lately?

I added one and deleted one within the last year - just go down to the clerks office with your receipt - takes all of 5 minutes.

I added one and deleted one within the last year - just go down to the clerks office with your receipt - takes all of 5 minutes.

and no additional nonsense? For example, target and hunting restriction is now something even more restrictive?

and no additional nonsense? For example, target and hunting restriction is now something even more restrictive?

No additional nonsense - the permit office doesn't have the authority to change your license without referral to the judge and an opportunity to be heard.

I suppose if the clerks in the permit office thought something was odd about you they might make a referral.

I am going there tomorrow. Adding a High Standard to the stable. While there I will stop in and invite Mr Fowler to a SCOPE meeting. I am more interested in what happens after Judge Boller retires.
Judge Boller has been very generous in handing out unrestricted licenses.
If you are 21 and have never fired a handgun before, my guess is you will be restricted.
If you have been shooting regular, hunting, involved in conservation and gun rights groups your chances improve with experience. If you have even more formal training then your chances are great.
Young, and full of _______, you will get a hunting and target.
Don't get me wrong, I still think the whole NY Gun Law thing is capricious and arbitrary.
The US Constitution says "Shall not be infringed".
Having to be licensed by a State, just to have the right to exercise an unalienable right is infringing.
The Second Amendment stops at NY State line. There is nothing the Feds can do about it as the Federal Governments control over the states is money. You either change the speed limit to 55 of we with hold Highway Funds.
What can they do? You either let the people of NY buy a handgun like the other states of we withhold Fededal funds for the promotion of the Second Amendment?

Bottom line: In New York, they can do what they want. (capricious and arbitrary)

The US Constitution says "Shall not be infringed".
Having to be licensed by a State, just to have the right to exercise an unalienable right is infringing.
The Second Amendment stops at NY State line.

The 2A doesn't stop at the state line, but unfortunately under existing jurisprudence it does end at your door step.

Almost every court that has addressed the issue since Heller and McDonald has held that the 2A applies only to possession of a firearm in one's home for protection (some have stated it is one's home or business.)

Understanding the difference is critical.

As things stand today the best chance of bringing about immediate expanded rights to possess firearms is through the state legislatures.

Those that live in states with expanded rights under state law must be ever vigilant about those rights (unless they are fortunate to live in a state in which their State constitution has been held to include the expanded rights.)

Those who live in states with restricted rights must focus their efforts on state laws while awaiting a change in the jurisprudence (which may never come about.)

Pounding the table about "shall not be infringed" won't bring about anything other than laughter from the anti-gun people. They'll simply point out that your right to possess a firearm for self protection in your home has not been infringed and thus your rights under the 2A have not been infringed.

I think the Heller ruling was that the right to have a gun in your home was protected by the 2nd Amendment. It didn't address the issue of outside your home. Heller was limited in that regard. So the interpretation that the SCOTUS limited the right to in your home is not necessarilly true. Not until the issue of outside your home is specifically ruled upon by SCOTUS will we really know.

Do you agree, nogods?

I think the Heller ruling was that the right to have a gun in your home was protected by the 2nd Amendment. It didn't address the issue of outside your home. Heller was limited in that regard. So the interpretation that the SCOTUS limited the right to in your home is not necessarilly true. Not until the issue of outside your home is specifically ruled upon by SCOTUS will we really know.

Do you agree, nogods?

You are correct - until the SCOTUS rules on the issue there is no final definitive ruling.

But the federal trial courts are bound by the decisions of the federal courts of appeal. Those who live in circuits that have held that Heller is limited to in-home possession have to look to expanding the state law for the right to carry outside the home until the SCOTUS rules otherwise.

Of course, if your state has an equivalent 2A in its constitution, and if your state's highest court has held that its 2A version applies to possession outside the home, then you don't need the federal 2A, unless congress tries to override your state's 2A with a commerce clause law.

Nogods,

I have been reading this post and have found that you have pretty good knowledge of what is what in Erie County.

I have a PP with Target/Hunting. I have just in the past month applied for my upgrade. Each time I go to the PP office to ask questions, I seem to get a different answer from the time prior. I guess it all depends on the day of the week and who one talks to down there!

Question, if and when I carry on my NYS Permit with restrictions, what if anything can happen. Not just possible but more probable examples?

Thanks and keep flowing good ideas and thoughts.

Nogods,

I have been reading this post and have found that you have pretty good knowledge of what is what in Erie County.

I have a PP with Target/Hunting. I have just in the past month applied for my upgrade. Each time I go to the PP office to ask questions, I seem to get a different answer from the time prior. I guess it all depends on the day of the week and who one talks to down there!

Question, if and when I carry on my NYS Permit with restrictions, what if anything can happen. Not just possible but more probable examples?

I only know what can happen under the law. I haven't had any experience with pp's being pulled administratively.

Nogods,

Hi, You may have seen it already but if not, take a look at this thread

Link Removed

You will find some good information here. Just try to ignore the garbage from a certain member. As for the permit office, im almost convinced that they make things up as they go.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back