The trial of George Zimmerman

BC1

The trial of George Zimmerman starts Monday. Will you follow the case?

Most definitely. Honestly, I'm torn between whether using deadly force force was justified in order to stop Trayvon from beating him, and whether he initiated the confrontation and should be found guilty as a result. The racial makeup of the jury will play a big role in the outcome of this case, no question about that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

yes, but it SHOULDN'T. what a farce that is! If that fool Zimmerman had gotten his gun out sooner, he'd not be facing a trial, cause Martin would have had no choice but to back down. Ditto if he'd known a decent amount of hand to hand fighting. I can't even imagine any untrained punk getting on top of me! :)

Race should not play a part, but it will, and we all know it. The prosecution will try to get as many Black jurors as possible, and the defense will try to get as many white jurors as possible. And if Zimmerman is found not guilty with a majority white jury, you can bet that Al and Jesse will be waiting in the wings to try to challenge the verdict.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Yes but just when I get a chance to catch up on what has transpired via lunchtime news and radio.

Won't go out of my way to get the latest breaking news...

yes, but it SHOULDN'T. what a farce that is! If that fool Zimmerman had gotten his gun out sooner, he'd not be facing a trial, cause Martin would have had no choice but to back down. Ditto if he'd known a decent amount of hand to hand fighting. I can't even imagine any untrained punk getting on top of me! :)
IF pigs had wings they'd be birds. And not everyone backs down. Perhaps in retrospect Zimmerman would rethink his actions. Before, during and after the incident. He's the poster-boy for everything one shouldn't do.
I tell people to call their lawyer and tell him they plan to do a neighborhood watch patrol, armed, with no training or education, no security license and no insurance. Tell him they'll be following people proactively. Anyone know what their lawyer would tell them? There ends the lesson.

if the punk had gotten shot AFTER seeing the gun and being warned, zimmerman would be in a MUCH better legal position, but the odds have been proven to be well over 20 to 1 that they DO back down when faced with a (ready) gun, especially when they have no weapon at all. I've had men at gunpoint 4x, and they all froze in place quite nicely.:)

No, I will not be following yet another media circus put on for the entertainment of the masses. I personally am not interested in all the media sensationalized hoopla and racial self righteous outrage because I understand that whoever was in danger of dying at the moment the shot was fired is the one who had the right to defend themselves regardless of who did what that led up to the shot being fired.

if the punk had gotten shot AFTER seeing the gun and being warned, zimmerman would be in a MUCH better legal position, but the odds have been proven to be well over 20 to 1 that they DO back down when faced with a (ready) gun, especially when they have no weapon at all. I've had men at gunpoint 4x, and they all froze in place quite nicely.:)
And once again that's a big IF. There is no if, there's only what actually happened. The best fight you ever win is the one you don't have.
I wouldn't get too comfortable holding people at gunpoint. I've carried a gun for 35 years and never needed it, despite regularly being in the hood. The primary self-defense skills of awareness, avoidance, deterrence, de-escalation and retreat do work. There's something to be said for minding my own business.

How would each of you handle a "Zimmerman?" If you have an over-zealous neighborhood watch guy who follows your visitors what would you say to him? Would you complain to the HOA?
A good neighborhood watch program is where everyone keeps an eye out for their immediate neighbors. No patrols. If every third or fourth house participates then the whole street is covered. When you see something out of the ordinary you first contact the neighbor who's house is involved or if necessary you call the police. If someone is following you what might your reaction be?
None of us know what really happened so an opinion on guilt or innocence would be premature. I'm just pokin' around for thoughts.

This whole thing is a dog and pony show. There is no way in hell Zimmerman will get a fair trial. Neighborhoods will burn if he is not convicted.

The detail I am interested in is if the shooting would of took place if trevon has not (according to george) had his hand going down george's side towards the gun.would it of just been a fight? Was it getting hit or the thought of trevon going for the gun caused the fearing for his life? But on the other hand did trevon fear for his life when he was being fought by someone with access to a gun and went for it?

How would each of you handle a "Zimmerman?" If you have an over-zealous neighborhood watch guy who follows your visitors what would you say to him? Would you complain to the HOA? .
A good neighborhood watch program is where everyone keeps an eye out for their immediate neighbors. No patrols. If every third or fourth house participates then the whole street is covered. When you see something out of the ordinary you first contact the neighbor who's house is involved or if necessary you call the police. If someone is following you what might your reaction be?.
None of us know what really happened so an opinion on guilt or innocence would be premature. I'm just pokin' around for thoughts.

My thoughts??

1) How would I handle a "Zimmerman"?
What is "a Zimmerman"...Is 'A Zimmerman' some kind of wild beast??

2) What would I say to "An over-zealous neighborhood watch guy"?
Seems to me that you have allready convicted Mr. Zimmerman of being 'Over-Zealous' by the way you are wording things in a pretty biased manner imvho.

3) What would "My reaction be if someone was following me"?
Well, for starters I would not physically attack him and start bashing his brains into the concrete without just cause. It's not illegal for someone to 'follow' you out in public is it??

My thoughts you ask??
My thoughts are this.......

Zimmerman screwed up by getting out of his car (which is still not illegal).

Treyvon really screwed up by 'illegally assaulting' (a law abiding citizen) with unjustified deadly force when he punched said citizen in the face and then began violently smashing the law abiding citizens head/skull/brains into the concrete. The armed (Law Abiding) citizen then clearly feared for his own life (rightly so) and shot his attacker (Treyvon) in self-defense.

Treyvon is now worm food because he played a very stupid game and he won a very stupid prize.

In conclusion, we have one less idiot in this world (Treyvon) and we have the victim of a deadly assault (Zimmerman) unjustly facing hard time in prison and a forever ruined personal life because of political correctness run amock.

Now please tell us 'your thoughts' sir...

If someone punched you in the face, overpowered you and then began smashing your brains into the concrete (and you were armed) wouldn't you shoot your attacker in self-defense? Or would you simply let your attacker continue his violent assault against you?

How would each of you handle a "Zimmerman?" If you have an over-zealous neighborhood watch guy who follows your visitors what would you say to him? Would you complain to the HOA?
A good neighborhood watch program is where everyone keeps an eye out for their immediate neighbors. No patrols. If every third or fourth house participates then the whole street is covered. When you see something out of the ordinary you first contact the neighbor who's house is involved or if necessary you call the police. If someone is following you what might your reaction be?

I am a neighborhood watch captain. To your point about patrols, when our watch was set up and representatives from our PD came to brief us on the process, they emphasized the need for safety patrols in addition to people observing from their homes. However, they also emphasized 1) that IF it became necessary to follow someone, that we did so at a distance, keeping our surroundings in mind at all times, and 2) that we not initiate contact with the suspicious individual. If following could be done from the safety of a vehicle, then that was the absolute best approach. But following up alleys, between homes, etc., was not encouraged. Above all, following law enforcement instructions was paramount. If LEOs believed they had enough information and advised us to break off surveillance, then that is what we are to do. There HAVE been some instances in which I have been asked by LEOs to maintain surveillance as long as I could do so discreetly and from a safe distance.

Mr. Zimmerman has my sympathies that he finds himself in this situation, but I still maintain that if he had followed the instructions he received from 911, stayed in his vehicle, and broke off surveilling Martin when he was explicitly told that they didn't need him following the young man, Martin would probably still be alive, Zimmerman wouldn't be fighting for his freedom, and Sharpton and Co. wouldn't have this ammunition to use against the rest of us. I believe Zimmerman is an excellent example of what NOT to do.

I am a neighborhood watch captain. To your point about patrols, when our watch was set up and representatives from our PD came to brief us on the process, they emphasized the need for safety patrols in addition to people observing from their homes. However, they also emphasized 1) that IF it became necessary to follow someone, that we did so at a distance, keeping our surroundings in mind at all times, and 2) that we not initiate contact with the suspicious individual. If following could be done from the safety of a vehicle, then that was the absolute best approach. But following up alleys, between homes, etc., was not encouraged. Above all, following law enforcement instructions was paramount. If LEOs believed they had enough information and advised us to break off surveillance, then that is what we are to do. There HAVE been some instances in which I have been asked by LEOs to maintain surveillance as long as I could do so discreetly and from a safe distance.

Mr. Zimmerman has my sympathies that he finds himself in this situation, but I still maintain that if he had followed the instructions he received from 911, stayed in his vehicle, and broke off surveilling Martin when he was explicitly told that they didn't need him following the young man, Martin would probably still be alive, Zimmerman wouldn't be fighting for his freedom, and Sharpton and Co. wouldn't have this ammunition to use against the rest of us. I believe Zimmerman is an excellent example of what NOT to do.

I assume you listened to the 911 call correct?

He did listen to the operator. He didn't leave his vehicle until he told the operator that trayvon ran out of sight. The operator asked if Zimmerman could still see him, to which Zimmerman then got out of his car and said again no he ran out of sight. THEN the operator asked if Zimmerman got out of his vehicle. When Zimmerman said yes, it was suggested that Zimmerman not need to do that and police will be there shortly. Zimmerman said OKAY and as far as I'm concerned, he started back to his vehicle just like he said he did.

I'm not sure why so many people think Zimmerman got out off his vehicle after he was suggested not to. That is clearly not the case. I'm also not sure why people think he didn't follow operators suggestion, when he was.

Unless of course, you didn't listen to the call. Then you wouldn't have known that...in which case how can you judge him without the evidence?

When the Prosecution starts to hide evidence you know the defendant has a very good case.
Link Removed
I have watched a lot of local coverage and feel that Mr. Zimmerman will be just fine.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back