The EMP Threat

Been trying to prepare for this since the first oil problems of the 1970's. Brown outs, power outs. We have only had this high a standard of living for the past 70 years or so. Some of my family in the hills that made Shine had oil lamps until the mid 1950's. Propane, passive solar and oil lamps have been in our stock for sometime some left over from Y2K. The issues I worry of are the cities, they will implode then we will have a Killer Caravan type of issue. (Kurt Saxon). Or not. The folks on meds such that have to be shipped in from large cities or the old timers (Me) might not make it long. Tis is of course in a secular view and I have been wrong before, I think it was 1968 or so, but Dude, that was like a long time ago.

Last edited:
All these planes that have disappeared over the past year or so, to include FLT 370. Load them with crude 10K's, come at us with multiple planes from different areas of the country. Possibly fly in a ghost position behind a documented flight inbound. NOT going to be a pretty picture. Most electronics will be inop and the power grid will be no more. Extremely possible scenario.

Our power grid would take the biggest hit with miles and miles of power lines running everywhere but tests conducted on cars and electronics show that EMP's would have little to no effect on them.

Our power grid would take the biggest hit with miles and miles of power lines running everywhere but tests conducted on cars and electronics show that EMP's would have little to no effect on them.
Show the data. It's not the transmission lines, it's the controllers that route. Your car computer will also be zapped. Hell, your toaster will also be zapped if on and a pulse is radiated when in use. External grounding is what I read about. Your smart phone may survive, the controller of the tower will not. Let alone the power company's distribution computer.
All systems will be NFG if up and running. Gee, what systems remain in a constant up state? Look what happened after 9-11 to WallStreet. Imagine the chaos after 2/3 rd's of the US is without power. Local energy units will and might survive. But Martial Law will be declared and those assets will be redirected. All due to this dream that MaoBama and the boys have. MAKE AMERICA Sacrifice and kneel to the domination of the Muslims. A new World Order.

Our electrical grid is so bad it's unreal. The majority of the transformers we have here can't be fixed without sending them to the overseas company where they were bought at and then it would take months to get them back, if we could. American is so defenseless it's unreal. One nuclear bomb set off 150 miles in the air over the middle of our country would take out almost the entire United States. Americans don't understand how exposed we are.

Show the data. It's not the transmission lines, it's the controllers that route. Your car computer will also be zapped. Hell, your toaster will also be zapped if on and a pulse is radiated when in use. External grounding is what I read about. Your smart phone may survive, the controller of the tower will not. Let alone the power company's distribution computer.
All systems will be NFG if up and running. Gee, what systems remain in a constant up state? Look what happened after 9-11 to WallStreet. Imagine the chaos after 2/3 rd's of the US is without power. Local energy units will and might survive. But Martial Law will be declared and those assets will be redirected. All due to this dream that MaoBama and the boys have. MAKE AMERICA Sacrifice and kneel to the domination of the Muslims. A new World Order.

The transmission lines constitute a metallic line network which would have many thousands of amps induced into the lines on top of the normal current they are already carrying which would wind up back at the substations overloading the transformers and burning them out. The point I was trying to make was that everyone thinks that every electronic device is suddenly going to be rendered useless which is not the case. The electrical grid is a critical component in the nations infrastructure and will be the hardest hit and it wont be pretty when it goes down. Cell and radio towers would probably be toast as well but automobiles will most likely survive and continue to work as long as they have fuel. Portable generators have a high survival rate as well.

There was a documentary not to long on either Nat Geo or the science channel, I cant remember which one it was, but several types of cars from different makers were placed in an EMP simulator and most survived. Some stalled at the blast but were able to be restarted and operated normally. Some didn't stall but instead ran rough but cleared up after a restart and one or two just died all together and wouldn't restart. I think there was a Ford car that died but most survived the testing with little to no effects. I tried to find the video on youtube so I could post the link but couldn't find it.

I am providing a link to the US Department of Defense EMP Commission Report which lists everything one could possibly image and it is a good read. Like most people I don't put a lot of faith in something the government does but this report is quite extensive and 208 pages long. I agree that ML will be declared if they can get the word out and the banking industry along with wall street will be out but that's to be expected if the grid goes down. I just hope that if it happens I have enough gas to get home to batten down the hatches.

http://www.empcommission.org/docs/A2473-EMP_Commission-7MB.pdf

Below is a link to an organization who is trying to bring attention to the problem.

Home - EMPact America

they also do readiness events periodically for local citizens who want to be prepared.

Why worry about EMP from nuclear devices, our power grid can be taken down with a laptop from anywhere on the planet. All they have to do is hack into the control system for our power grid.

Why worry about EMP from nuclear devices, our power grid can be taken down with a laptop from anywhere on the planet. All they have to do is hack into the control system for our power grid.

Heard yesterday that even the president's computer system has been hacked. Not sure anyone would get anything intelligible there but it is indicative that nothing is safe from being broken into. We are going to start a Smoke Signals 101 class here very shortly so we can maintain a communication system. :sarcastic:

With the amount of outsourcing our country does, we are finding an alarming percentage of electronic parts from a foreign origin that has the ability to disrupt the computer it's in. Imagine one of hundreds of solenoids/capacitor, on one of hundreds of chips, inside a single missile, making the missile inoperable. With a simple radio transmission, half of the armament is worthless.

I doubt power grids are more strict than our military...I can't imagine how many foreign parts are in those computers...

I agree, an EMP is fancy...but the least of our worries.

Sent from my D6616 using USA Carry mobile app

On the plus side...if it were to happen...maybe more people would look up and get involved...

Sent from my D6616 using USA Carry mobile app

Our electrical grid is so bad it's unreal. The majority of the transformers we have here can't be fixed without sending them to the overseas company where they were bought at and then it would take months to get them back, if we could. American is so defenseless it's unreal. One nuclear bomb set off 150 miles in the air over the middle of our country would take out almost the entire United States. Americans don't understand how exposed we are.

You do realize that 150 miles is well into the realm that is considered "SPACE"?

You do realize that 150 miles is well into the realm that is considered "SPACE"?

Well, hell. It's back to semaphore I learned in the scouts some 50 years or more ago. I do know Morse, can copy 30wpm in my head. We'll string together communications systems somehow.

73 de KG5JJ

Fearing EMP attack Pentagon To Move NORAD Underground

The US military command that scans North America's skies for enemy missiles and aircraft plans to move its communications gear to a Cold War-era mountain bunker, officers said.
EDITOR'S NOTE: The United States has many enemies, chief of which being Russia, China and Iran. Both Russia and China are fully capable of launching a successful EMP attack on the US at any time. That time is right around the corner.
The shift to move NORAD back to the Cheyenne Mountain base in Colorado is designed to safeguard the command's sensitive sensors and servers from a potential electromagnetic pulse (EMP) attack, military officers said. NORAD, or the North American Aerospace Defense Command is a combined organization of the United States and Canada that provides aerospace warning, air sovereignty, and defense for Northern America.
The Pentagon last week announced a $700 million contract with Raytheon Corporation to oversee the work for North American Aerospace Command (NORAD) and US Northern Command.

The Cheyenne Mountain Complex in Colorado is the once and future home of NORAD.

Admiral William Gortney, head of NORAD and Northern Command, said that "because of the very nature of the way that Cheyenne Mountain's built, it's EMP-hardened."

"And so, there's a lot of movement to put capability into Cheyenne Mountain and to be able to communicate in there," Gortney told reporters.

"My primary concern was... are we going to have the space inside the mountain for everybody who wants to move in there, and I'm not at liberty to discuss who's moving in there," he said.

The Cheyenne mountain bunker is a half-acre cavern carved into a mountain in the 1960s that was designed to withstand a Soviet nuclear attack. From inside the massive complex, airmen were poised to send warnings that could trigger the launch of nuclear missiles.

But in 2006, officials decided to move the headquarters of NORAD and US Northern Command from Cheyenne to Petersen Air Force base in Colorado Springs. The Cheyenne bunker was designated as an alternative command center if needed.

That move was touted a more efficient use of resources but had followed hundreds of millions of dollars worth of modernization work at Cheyenne carried out after the attacks of September 11, 2001.

Now the Pentagon is looking at shifting communications gear to the Cheyenne bunker, officials said. "A lot of the back office communications is being moved there," said one defense official.

Officials said the military's dependence on computer networks and digital communications makes it much more vulnerable to an electromagnetic pulse, which can occur naturally or result from a high-altitude nuclear explosion.

Under the 10-year contract, Raytheon is supposed to deliver "sustainment" services to help the military perform "accurate, timely and unambiguous warning and attack assessment of air, missile and space threats" at the Cheyenne and Petersen bases.

Raytheon's contract also involves unspecified work at Vandenberg Air Force Base in California and Offutt Air Force Base in Nebraska.

by Geoffrey Grider

source:US aerospace command moving comms gear back to Cold War bunker

Not one person texting, talking and walking in Walmart even know who their State rep is. No, not until the smart phones go out, the Wi-Fi and such are down are they going to wake up and asked, hey what happened?
(Sent by yelling really loud at the TV set)

Link Removed

There has been considerable talk about EMP strikes but not a lot has been said how one can defend sensitive equipment from being fried. There is a lot of material on here about Faraday cages that will protect electronics and instructions on their construction. Depending on what you want to keep safe, a cage can be relatively simple to make. I made one some time ago to store batteries and ham radio equipment in and it works like a charm. They are easy to test just using cell phones and a good way to store extra equipment, if one is interested.

A quick follow up. I have an old 5 ch. "White Face Johnson" CB from the 1970's when I was into it - after the oil embargo the CB became crap and I sold everything but was this made in the 1950's prior to the CB the 11 meters going CB. But if we have an EMP who will I pick up. Frankly, where I live and what I do and the county I am in I DONT CARE. The difference between a Prepper and a Survivalist is about 1,000 rounds and thriving not just surviving. Maybe I am hard core, hard nosed but me and mine bugged out long ago. Google search the Killer Caravans by Kurt Saxon. In a secular mood vs. a Christian outlook may be another way of looking at it. And I did not check my spelling or sentence structure.

(Sent via hollow logs tippy tappy dot-dash-dot-dot or as my grandkids say, Whatever)

There has been considerable talk about EMP strikes but not a lot has been said how one can defend sensitive equipment from being fried. There is a lot of material on here about Faraday cages that will protect electronics and instructions on their construction. Depending on what you want to keep safe, a cage can be relatively simple to make. I made one some time ago to store batteries and ham radio equipment in and it works like a charm. They are easy to test just using cell phones and a good way to store extra equipment, if one is interested.

Good thought. Hum, network with likeminded and fast. Family first, hood next.

(Sent by yelling really loud)

Well, hell. It's back to semaphore I learned in the scouts some 50 years or more ago. I do know Morse, can copy 30wpm in my head. We'll string together communications systems somehow.

73 de KG5JJ

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back