The EMP Threat

Ok so who can and would pull it off? Don't tell me hackers.

Sent from my XT557 using Tapatalk 2

China, Russia, or any country that can put something in orbit and has a nuke.

Ok so who can and would pull it off? Don't tell me hackers.

180 miles is space! The most practical way would be to launch a rocket carrying a small nuclear payload. Once it is in a low earth orbit and over the US set it off by remote. North Korea and Iran both have the capability to do this.

180 miles is space! The most practical way would be to launch a rocket carrying a small nuclear payload. Once it is in a low earth orbit and over the US set it off by remote. North Korea and Iran both have the capability to do this.

No, neither of them have the capability to deliver a warhead that far. AND, neither would because our response would destroy them.

No, neither of them have the capability to deliver a warhead that far. AND, neither would because our response would destroy them.

Don't bet on it!

North Korea did in 2012 and they share their nuclear technology with Iran. In part for economic reason but I think the main goal is to piss off the USA.
Link: North Korea Successfully Launches Satellite: Reports

North Korea apparently succeeded in placing a satellite in Earth orbit after a Wednesday morning (Dec. 12) launch that is already drawing condemnation from the United States and other Western nations.

North Korea launched its long-range Unha-3 rocket at 9:49 a.m. Wednesday local time (7:49 p.m. EST on Tuesday) from Sohae Satellite Launch Station on the nation's northwest coast. North Korean officials declared the launch a success shortly thereafter, claiming that the Unha-3 had delivered a scientific satellite to orbit as planned.

The rogue nation has a history of making such claims even after failed liftoffs, but it appears to be telling the truth this time. "Initial indications are that the missile deployed an object that appeared to achieve orbit," the North American Aerospace Defense Command, a joint U.S.-Canadian effort, said in a statement. "At no time was the missile or the resultant debris a threat to North America."

Iran completed orbital launches in 2009, 2011 and 2012.
Link: Iranian satellite successfully placed in orbit | Spaceflight Now

The Fajr satellite was placed in orbit about eight minutes after taking off from a military base in northern Iran’s Semnan province, according to state-run media reports.

The spacecraft reportedly weighs about 50 kilograms, or 110 pounds. Ground controllers received radio signals from the Fajr satellite in orbit hours after the launch, according to Iran’s official Islamic Republic News Agency.

Iran did not disclose details of the satellite’s purpose, but Iranian media reported it carried a cold gas propulsion to for in-space maneuvers, representing a technological advancement over the country’s earlier satellites. Tracking data from the U.S. Air Force’s Space Surveillance Network indicated an object associated with the launch in an orbit with a perigee, or low point, of about 139 miles and an apogee, or high point, of about 285 miles. The Fajr satellite is flying in an orbit tilted at 55.5 degrees to the equator.

I wouldn't bet on NK to pull it off, nor do I believe Kim wants things to change beyond his food and fuel extortion.

I wouldn't bet on NK to pull it off, nor do I believe Kim wants things to change beyond his food and fuel extortion.

I don't think NK would if it came right down to it but you said they didn't have the capability, which clearly they do. It is much easier to launch a weapon a few hundred miles straight up into space and let Issac Newton take over then to build a complicated exit/reentry missile and guidance system for a ICBM. Between 180-300 miles (low earth orbit) the perfect height and its only a matter of time until the satellites orbit takes it over the target then boom.

Iran is another story and they simply don't care about starting another war but both countries have successfully demonstrated they are capable of using existing technology to pull it off. I don't trust any of them.

Amazing. How much do you want to invest in protection from solar flares?

That would depend on the damage a solar flare could do to your business, high frequency radio systems or electronics. Determine your own investment value.

I don't think NK would if it came right down to it but you said they didn't have the capability, which clearly they do. It is much easier to launch a weapon a few hundred miles straight up into space and let Issac Newton take over then to build a complicated exit/reentry missile and guidance system for a ICBM. Between 180-300 miles (low earth orbit) the perfect height and its only a matter of time until the satellites orbit takes it over the target then boom.

Iran is another story and they simply don't care about starting another war but both countries have successfully demonstrated they are capable of using existing technology to pull it off. I don't trust any of them.

I still don't think they can do it. Rockets delivering heavy nukes around the world and blowing them up at a certain altitude is way beyond their capability. Weird that anyone would believe their pr campaign.

That would depend on the damage a solar flare could do to your business, high frequency radio systems or electronics. Determine your own investment value.

Im asking how much the US should pay. Otherwise, what are we bitching about? Is the point here simply that people in general should insulate and ground their electronics?

At the risk of being accused of needing to put in a lead liner inside my tinfoil hat, what if obummer and his minions set off the pulse themselves! I know this sounds crazy but it is no more crazy than the libs, left and wackos saying that Bush knew and let 911 happen! Our "wonderful and caring" gubment is working to shield their electronics inside a mountain. Also what is with all the "so called" war games in the cities, towns and rural areas??

I would have NEVER thought anything as radical as this before obummer. But this is no more radical than most of his other programs that he is doing! In fact it could be tame by some standards!!

Now listen to the trolls come out swinging to protect their little tin god! :happy:

Im asking how much the US should pay. Otherwise, what are we bitching about? Is the point here simply that people in general should insulate and ground their electronics?

As a matter of fact, yes. You should visit the American Radio Relay League site and read their material on the effects of solar flares on ham radio gear and other electronics. I know it sounds far out but this is a phenomenon that has been studied for years and a lot of effort has gone into it to prevent losses of valuable equipment. This is not a "Chicken Little" situation, only preventive measures that can be taken by individuals. To get set up in ham radio, you put a fortune into equipment and do what you can to protect it. That isn't nearly as complicated as it may sound but is prudent. Don't think for a minute that the government isn't aware of this and is taking every precautionary measure possible to maintain our current abilities. There will be a tremendous price tag on it but it is an investment into the future.

Your first sentence is incomplete. I still don't think they can do it, yet.

Ok. So how much money should the US spend to prepare for one day when NK can do that? Or at least what action should we take? Its one thing to step up and say that you believe that theres a problem... But i think it would be more helpful to add what you think we should be doing but are not.

I would have NEVER thought anything as radical as this before obummer. But this is no more radical than most of his other programs that he is doing! In fact it could be tame by some standards!!
The New World Order/One World Government is not a "conspiracy", it is an AGENDA. It is nothing new and has never been a secret. Bush senior was the first to openly declare & promote the NWO, he mentioned the NWO 140 times in his speeches. For THOUSANDS OF YEARS the Bible has been warning us about this coming NWO/OWG , again, " it is nothing new and has never been a secret.". As is the usual...1% of the people make things happen, 9% of the people watch things happen, and 90% of the people ask, what happened? Thank God this is the Last Generation (Signs Of The End Of The Age...Matthew 24:34 - Mark 13:30 - Luke 21:32) and it'll ALL be over and done in "approximately" 10 more years.

~ ISRAEL...God's Prophetic Timepiece ~
MARANATHA! :victory:​

Ok. So how much money should the US spend to prepare for one day when NK can do that? Or at least what action should we take? Its one thing to step up and say that you believe that theres a problem... But i think it would be more helpful to add what you think we should be doing but are not.

Should our power grid be hardened against EMP (from any source or country)? Of course.

How much should be spent? How valuable is the power grid to the US? What are the technologies and the costs?

Our power grid is a valuable asset, you protect assets when the cost is reasonable. There comes a point when the return on investment in protection makes no sense, but I'm not an electrical engineer to say where that point is.

You have asked this question numerous times, yet I don't recall seeing your views on how much should be spent.

My question or I guess statement is; Why can't ALL power utilities be buried underground? With ALL the inclement weather and power outages throughout this country. Why can't most be buried? Snow storms, Ice Storms, Hurricanes, Tornados, drunk drivers, forest fires, ect, ect.
If most were buried most outages would not happen. Heck, make it a shovel ready Gov't funded job and require utility company's to reimburse their customers for the improved infrastructure paid for by the US Tax Payers.
-
As for a nuke detonated, say 1.5KT at 30 thousand feet onboard an aircraft. You'll take out a couple hundred squares miles of land. Now multiply that times say 10 to 25 planes over strategic areas of the country. You have now knocked out a majority of infrastructure that we need to survive on.

While exploring effects of nuclear weapons, I found this site which you can use to get an idea of results of a nuclear explosion. NUKEMAP by Alex Wellerstein. Although not exactly precise, it will give one something to think about, to include EMPs

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back