The Closest I Ever Came To Shooting Someone Was ...

kengrubb

About 7 years back, wife and I were living in PA. Heard a knock on the sliding glass door of our apartment, some time after midnight. The blinds were closed so I couldn't see who or how many.

Ran to get my pistola and the phone. Wife saw me getting the gun, and followed me in hot pursuit. We stopped in the boy's room to find him comfortably and soundly sleeping.

Verbal challenge, they wanted to use the phone, said no, called 9-1-1, local PD responded, very helpful dispatcher on the phone, officers arrived.

I stuck Old Blue back in my waistpouch BEFORE opening the blinds, turning on the outside light, and going out to chat with the Lower Paxton Township officers. They were very nice and there were a couple really humorous moments in the conversation.

I related what happened, and I saw other officers talking with someone. The officer looked back at the person the officers were talking with and said, unable to hide a knowing smile, "She's known to us." I had to snicker, and he repeated trying not to laugh himself "She's known to us."

I said to the officer, "Someone knocks on my door after midnight, and I'm thinking drugs or prostitution and they have the wrong address." The officer was unable to hold back another knowing smile as he bit on his lip saying, "Sir, you might not be wrong." Cops will tell you a lot of information, if you listen and read between the lines.

I remember after getting my gun I checked the windows, in the master bedroom as well as my son's room, to ensure there was no broken glass or other signs of forced entry. Also remember that my daily carry Glock 23 was there next to my Smith .357 snubbie in the top dresser drawer, but I grabbed the snubbie rather than the Glock. Not really sure why I did that. Everything else I did was pretty clear and deliberate.

Not really sure if the girl was tricking, using, both, or something worse. I do remember in our "conversation" through the closed, locked door when I told her she could not use the phone, she answered, "OK, we're sorry." That "we" made me think there and then this was something more than a case of a mistaken address. I told the dispatcher this and I told the officer on scene.

About 7 years back, wife and I were living in PA. Heard a knock on the sliding glass door of our apartment, some time after midnight. The blinds were closed so I couldn't see who or how many.

Ran to get my pistola and the phone. Wife saw me getting the gun, and followed me in hot pursuit. We stopped in the boy's room to find him comfortably and soundly sleeping.

Verbal challenge, they wanted to use the phone, said no, called 9-1-1, local PD responded, very helpful dispatcher on the phone, officers arrived.

I stuck Old Blue back in my waistpouch BEFORE opening the blinds, turning on the outside light, and going out to chat with the Lower Paxton Township officers. They were very nice and there were a couple really humorous moments in the conversation.

I related what happened, and I saw other officers talking with someone. The officer looked back at the person the officers were talking with and said, unable to hide a knowing smile, "She's known to us." I had to snicker, and he repeated trying not to laugh himself "She's known to us."

I said to the officer, "Someone knocks on my door after midnight, and I'm thinking drugs or prostitution and they have the wrong address." The officer was unable to hold back another knowing smile as he bit on his lip saying, "Sir, you might not be wrong." Cops will tell you a lot of information, if you listen and read between the lines.

I remember after getting my gun I checked the windows, in the master bedroom as well as my son's room, to ensure there was no broken glass or other signs of forced entry. Also remember that my daily carry Glock 23 was there next to my Smith .357 snubbie in the top dresser drawer, but I grabbed the snubbie rather than the Glock. Not really sure why I did that. Everything else I did was pretty clear and deliberate.

Not really sure if the girl was tricking, using, both, or something worse. I do remember in our "conversation" through the closed, locked door when I told her she could not use the phone, she answered, "OK, we're sorry." That "we" made me think there and then this was something more than a case of a mistaken address. I told the dispatcher this and I told the officer on scene.

Glad everything turned out alright and the two of you are okay. That's what counts!

Well, at least you didn't put 6-8 through the door first. And found out you just whacked a lost Girl Scout with her cookies.

Good study in Shoot-Don't Shoot. Glad to hear all was safe and every went about their business. Over the years I have experienced a couple of these. I thank God that I had the common sense to not shoot the "Girl Scout" at 2 in the morning! Believe it or not people do have problems in the middle of the night. Sometimes they are even sober.:pleasantry:

I am confused and read the story about three times...did you ever get to know how the police "knows" her? Did you ever get to find out why she wanted to use your phone? There is something there you did not tell us and the story is a little bit confusing to me.

I am glad that you and yours are safe and nothing untowards really happened but just a knock on your door. It could have been worst...

did you ever get to know how the police "knows" her?
Nope, at least not officially. However, by what the officer told me, I'm reasonably certain she was tricking, using, or both. By what she said, there's a chance she had a buddy to do a strong arm robbery, or worse, hiding somewhere who took off running when the cops came.

Did you ever get to find out why she wanted to use your phone?
Nope, and I never thought the request to use the phone was legit.

There is something there you did not tell us and the story is a little bit confusing to me.
Not really sure what it could be.

About a dozen years ago, I was working the night shift and had just gotten off work about 2am. I went to a local super market to grab a few groceries (bear in mind, the clock said 2am but for me it was the same as a normal 9 to 5er's 5:30pm grocery run on the way home). There was a guy on a beer run (I lived in a college town) in line behind me. I paid for my groceries, went out to the car, put the grocery bags in the back seat and got in to drive away. As I was getting my keys out of my coat pocket, I heard someone try to open my locked passenger side front door. When I looked to see what was going on, all I was was a man's torso through the window as he tried again to open the door. The 1911 came out of the center console and leveled out even with his head just as he squatted down slightly to look into the car. Using the power windows, I cracked the window slightly and asked him if I could help him. He said he had the wrong car and he was sorry for startling me. Then he turned and walked to the next parking aisle behind me and got into a car that was of a similar make and the same color as mine.

About a dozen years ago, I was working the night shift and had just gotten off work about 2am. I went to a local super market to grab a few groceries (bear in mind, the clock said 2am but for me it was the same as a normal 9 to 5er's 5:30pm grocery run on the way home). There was a guy on a beer run (I lived in a college town) in line behind me. I paid for my groceries, went out to the car, put the grocery bags in the back seat and got in to drive away. As I was getting my keys out of my coat pocket, I heard someone try to open my locked passenger side front door. When I looked to see what was going on, all I was was a man's torso through the window as he tried again to open the door. The 1911 came out of the center console and leveled out even with his head just as he squatted down slightly to look into the car. Using the power windows, I cracked the window slightly and asked him if I could help him. He said he had the wrong car and he was sorry for startling me. Then he turned and walked to the next parking aisle behind me and got into a car that was of a similar make and the same color as mine.

Of course I wasn't there, and this is just imho, but his words sound mighty fishy! Why would he go to the passenger side door of your car in the first place? I think he was only giving you an excuse, saying anything to not get shot, when he saw your pistol.

It was at my first house. Spring of 1998 I think.

My friend Tracy was at the house visiting my wife and I. She is married to my very good friend who was a police officer in the town at the time.
It was getting late and her husband would soon be getting off his patrol shift and be heading home for some sleep and then back to work for a dispatch shift. He was a workaholic to support his drag racing habit. She began to walk down the walk and my wife was at the door with the outside lights on making sure she got to her car.
My wife notices that someone is walking down the side walk toward her car. We lived on a main road so that was not unusual. Tracy had made it to the car and was in the car.
My wife said to me " Hey, someone is going toward the passenger side of Tracy's car" with some tension in her voice. I got up and looked... Yup there he was...
I open the front door and start down toward the driveway and motion to Tracy to get going. She has this look of panic as the guy is right at the passenger side door with his face in the window.
She begins to move almost knocks the guy over. I yell "HEY KEEP MOVING BUDDY" but he does not react to me yelling at him. he kinda watches her go.
I stand and keep my eyes on him and he seems startled and begins to walk toward me as if he just noticed I was there.

I was kinda perplexed? I pointed back up the street and said loudly again "KEEP MOVING". He seemed fixed on me and I begin to back track toward the door. No words... He keeps coming slowly and gets to the edge of the walk.
I say "HON GET IN THE HOUSE NOW!!!". She moves quickly. I come in and make for the bedroom grabbing the .357...

I come back to the front door and look to see him on the steps...

My wife was getting close to me and trying to look out the window. I shoved her back and said "911 NOW!!!"... She saw the gun and knew I was not negotiating, this was an order...

I had the chain on the door and used my foot to prop it. (As I look back now I think that may not have been a good move, but too late...) I put the end of the barrel to the door crack and got the reaction I was hoping for...

He fell off the front steps and was moving fast across the front lawn. I knew many of the LEOs in town (I often went with the Lieutenant, his nephew and my friend to the Glock Sport-Shoot events and shot with the department guys) so I was not surprised to quickly hear the sirens and see the lights coming down the road to the corner. I put the gun back and the police were there..

End of the long story... The guy was homeless and was a deaf mute. He was begging for food and money... I was close to the RI state border and the the police from RI knew of him.

I was very uptight for a few days after that... If he had grabbed the door or motioned for it..He would have been shot. Things would be very different...

Good thread.. It's been some time since I had any thoughts about that night. It's been peaceful since...And for that I thank God and his son Jesus...

On an early spring morning in 1992, I was traveling in my work vehicle which was a small hatchback car. I was out in the country making service calls. My car was full of computer and office components which is why I guess I was targeted. Driving on a two lane road minding my own business a 1970’s era chevelle (not sure if that one is spelled right) which one could only describe as a primer colored bondo buggy began tailgating me.

During a strait patch on the road the car pulled up next to me and the guy in the passenger seat started yelling colorful phrases at me to pull over. I ignored him for the most part but did give him the single finger salute. The road started to curve and the driver braked and fell in behind me. This time getting about a foot from my car. I really thought this guy was going to ram me.

When the road straightened out again the car pulled up beside me and the driver started to swerve into my lane as if to run me off the road. I hit the brakes and the car shoots in front of me. He slows down then he pulls of to the side of the road. I hit the gas and go speeding by him. As soon as I pass them they pull out and get behind me again.

Now this was a time when cell phone towers were not everywhere and although I had one it was only programmed for my home area and did not roam so calling the police was not an option. When the car catches back up to me I took my Bersa .380 out of the glove box and chambered a round. It wasn’t long after I had retrieved my gun that they were right beside me AGAIN.

By this time I had enough of these clowns. I rolled down my window and placed the gun in my left hand, aimed above their car then fired my Bersa. The passenger’s eyes told the story. I would have loved to have heard the conversation going on between them.
The driver hit the gas and I never saw them again.

They crossed the line when they tried to run me off the road. I think police call it assault with a deadly weapon. I could have easily hit the car or maybe even the passenger and was prepared to go further but thankfully they got the message loud and clear.

I've only pulled my gun once and that was to put it in my lap while driving and dealing with a road-rager.

Traffic was backed up due to construction at a busy intersection. The a-hole in question raced up the left lane (it was the lane that was closed for construction) all the way to the caution barricade. He then tried to squeeze in but nobody would let him, nor should they have. By the time my truck got up to where he was he was pretty annoyed and didn't appreciate it when I told him he'd have to wait like everybody else. I didn't use any obscenities, insults, or hand gestures but he went ballistic anyway.

He managed to get into the lane a couple of cars behind me. When we had to stop for a red light at the intersection he pulled over into a parking lot to our right and moved a little north of me. He got out of his car and went into his trunk where he removed a small object that was covered with a rag. I assumed it was a gun. He was running his mouth and pointing at me all the while. At this point I took my G21 (no longer have it) from my center console, chambered a round, and put it in my lap. I kept the gun low so nobody would see it.

He got back in his car and when traffic started moving he managed to pull out right behind me. Once we passed the construction and the other lane opened up he moved over and tried to come along side me. I hit the brakes, he whizzed past me, and I slid in behind him. I made a gun gesture with my thumb and forefinger and pointed it right at him as he looked at me in his mirror. He was still running his mouth but he turned on a side street and took off.

Hopefully that'll be the only time I lay my hand on my gun out of fear for my personal safety :no:

Of course I wasn't there, and this is just imho, but his words sound mighty fishy! Why would he go to the passenger side door of your car in the first place? I think he was only giving you an excuse, saying anything to not get shot, when he saw your pistol.

You've got 2 very similar cars that are both very similar in color (dark blue) parked at the end of 2 consecutive parking aisles near the door and the fellow making the beer run was hopefully the second soberest out of the bunch. (The driver being the sober one, I hope.) I can see him making the mistake but I can also see him thinking I was an easy mark as well. In the dark, the two models look practically identical. I walked up to the wrong car a couple times and once even got my key into the door of the wrong car before I realized it wasn't mine.

kengrubb I'm glad your family is ok.

Besides prostitution or a person under the influence, a typical "Home Invasion" tactic that was around in the 70's and is still going around today is: a woman will knock on the door seeking help. (Sometimes she will seem to be in a high panic state.) When someone opens the door to help, several of her co-BG's that have been hiding will bum rush the door.

Count yourself fortunate is it was just a hooker or crackhead looking to score.

I will defend myself and my family the best I can but I hope to never have to experience that!

We all hope to avoid the worst situations. However, sometimes those situations come to us. The resolve to survive must be strong for us all. Never let the bad guy win.

O dark thirty one night i am fast asleep snuggled up close to the wife when i get a poke in the ribs. There was a noise in the other room. I didn't hear it. She did!! I laid there for a couple of minutes. I heard it the next time. Out of bed. shorts on. got my witness .45 and a maglight. slowly inched toward the bedroom door hearing more noises. slice the pie into the living room no BG slice the pie into the kitchen NO BG head toward the family room NO BG. OOPS noise is behind me!! turn around noise is coming form the front corner of the house no room for any one to hide there flashlight doesn't pick anything up. Still hearing noise. Turn the lights on. Still hear the noise. Look in the corner under the fish tank. One of Oscars was trying to make a run for it. Dang Fish almost caught one in the gills.

My question is: Did he get in the passenger side of that car, or the driver's side...?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back