That's it, from now on I am carrying whenever I can and thats almost always

Timothy2001

I have been reading this forum for a long time and appreciate the information, it has made me and those around me safer.

We just moved to Houston from across the country where there was very little crime and from where I have my CCW and thankfully Texas is a reciprocal state. I carried there infrequently but here and after reading the local paper for a few months my weapon will be with almost at all times.

3 sought in fatal stabbing of Houston AC repairman | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

I try to put myself in the situation these crime victims are put into to think about how I would react.

If someone opens your car door at a light, in my opinion they are either carjacking you or robbing you as in this story.

Would you shoot right away.....I am certain the answer is yes.

Most crimes like these will happen at night or after dark. I find myself keeping my weapon in my console out of holster while driving in the Meto Atlanta area. If you work in Atlanta you have to be careful and what part of town you work, even in broad daylight your tuck can be robbed even though it is locked and alarmed. Thieves are opportunist.

Iteach4u says it very well “I wish more people would arm themselves responsibly and seek out training to change their mindest from sheeple to sheep dog. If the bad guys are doing it, we should be as well. One must train like a predator to react like a predator. “

I agree with Wooddoctor most crimes are when legal Citizens are home and with their families. Ever since I received my CCW 20 years ago. I never leave without my weapon its as much a part of me as putting on my shoes, jacket, clothes its forever a part of my everyday wardrobe.like my American Express I never leave home without it.

Except for work, if I pick up my car keys, I pick up my pistol. (Can't carry anywhere near work! That is a story for another day!)

Same here. I work on Ft. Hood, TX. So no carry. Bu EVERYWHERE ESLE I have a handgun with me. If I a going to meet my wife in town for dinner after work, she brings my pistol. If she goes in and gets us a table, I know it is in her car and I use my set of keys and arm myself before I meet her inside. I do not even boat on ACOE lakes anymore. Not until the HR 1865 becomes law. All LCRA water for now. Doors in vehicles are ALWAYS locked when driving. A great technique ia to NEVER stop right at the line at a traffic light if you are at the gead of the line. If you are not first, I always leave myself a car length and a half to maeuver if someone approaches the vehicle. I will gladly run a red light or jump a median if it means preventing a code red situation. My wife follows the same rules and will get her Texas CHL very soon.

Deodorant, clean underwear and socks, loaded pistol & spare magazine... Everyday... The day you decide it's not worth the effort is the day you will need it...

I carry almost 24/7...stay alert even when I park my car anywhere -- be aware and alert and look everywhere first before getting out of the car. I do not know why the perp was able to open this guy's car door...but my car locks automatically as soon as it backs out of my driveway. Coming back to the car as soon as I get in, I do not wait for the automatic lock to come on, I just flick a button and it locks. Locking your door is an automatic action on your part once you train yourself to do these seemingly little things, pretty much like picking up your pants on the floor in the morning as soon as you wake up.

I try to put myself in the situation these crime victims are put into to think about how I would react.

If someone opens your car door at a light, in my opinion they are either carjacking you or robbing you as in this story.

Would you shoot right away.....I am certain the answer is yes.

I'm looking at this a different way I think.

Tactical Awareness. To me that doesn't just mean scanning an area for threats, being aware of whats going on around you at all times.

It also means locking your vehicle doors at all times. Being aware of people approaching my vehicle.

So if I'm putting myself in the situation of this story, my doors would be locked. Then I see a group of people approach my vehicle, my threat level rises. One of the group puts their hand on my car. Do I see a gun? Do I see any weapon? At this point I would probably attempt to drive away, through a red light or any other avenue of escape. For me shooting would be the very last resort. My first reaction would be to remove myself from the threat. They are on foot? I'm in a vehicle? In 30 seconds I can be blocks away.

In any dangerous situation escaping the threat or not getting into a threatening position in the first place will always be my goal.

Tactical Awareness means crossing the street if you see a fight on the sidewalk ahead of you, not walking straight into it because you are armed. I will always try to avoid ANY kind of confrontation while armed.

I would never draw my weapon if I did not intend to shoot. If I shoot my life changes drastically, my family's life changes drastically and the life of the person I shot will change drastically.

I'm looking at this a different way I think.

Tactical Awareness. To me that doesn't just mean scanning an area for threats, being aware of whats going on around you at all times.

It also means locking your vehicle doors at all times. Being aware of people approaching my vehicle.

So if I'm putting myself in the situation of this story, my doors would be locked. Then I see a group of people approach my vehicle, my threat level rises. One of the group puts their hand on my car. Do I see a gun? Do I see any weapon? At this point I would probably attempt to drive away, through a red light or any other avenue of escape. For me shooting would be the very last resort. My first reaction would be to remove myself from the threat. They are on foot? I'm in a vehicle? In 30 seconds I can be blocks away.

In any dangerous situation escaping the threat or not getting into a threatening position in the first place will always be my goal.

Tactical Awareness means crossing the street if you see a fight on the sidewalk ahead of you, not walking straight into it because you are armed. I will always try to avoid ANY kind of confrontation while armed.

If I draw my weapon, I will shoot. I would never draw my weapon if I did not intend to shoot.

Basically ^^^THIS^^^

Although, there are occasions where drawing may be necessary; and shooting is NOT warrented. I think having the minset, to "draw" -- means to "SHOOT", can get you into real trouble and shows lack of "proper" training.

(No "offense" meant. BUT! Different situations call for different actions.)

There are many, MANY more instances where "drawing" (or begining to draw), a weapon was the only thing required to STOP a threat. In contrast, actual instances where shooting someone was required are few and far between.

REMEMBER!
The number #1 goal is a self-defense situation is to: STOP the threat!

Shooting is ALWAYS the LAST resort. But, revealing you have a weapon and are willing to defend yourself may be required in a dangerous SD situation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the OP situation the victim failed on two counts:

ONE= In SA, he should have been more "Aware" and "avoided" stopping in the area if possible. "Defensive" driving techniques may have helped him here.

(Timing driving speed to avoid stopping at traffic lights and keeping an "escape" route open would've definitely helped.)

TWO= Preparation, the car doors should have been "LOCKED"!

He did have a weapon and a means of escape at his disposal. But, failure to plan a prepare lead to BGs selecting him as a victim. I also think having a firearm close at hand may have helped him as well.

Basically ^^^THIS^^^

Although, there are occasions where drawing may be necessary; and shooting is NOT warrented. I think having the minset, to "draw" -- means to "SHOOT", can get you into real trouble and shows lack of "proper" training.

(No "offense" meant. BUT! Different situations call for different actions.)

There are many, MANY more instances where "drawing" (or begining to draw), a weapon was the only thing required to STOP a threat. In contrast, actual instances where shooting someone was required are few and far between.

REMEMBER!
The number #1 goal is a self-defense situation is to: STOP the threat!

Shooting is ALWAYS the LAST resort. But, revealing you have a weapon and are willing to defend yourself may be required in a dangerous SD situation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the OP situation the victim failed on two counts:

ONE= In SA, he should have been more "Aware" and "avoided" stopping in the area if possible. "Defensive" driving techniques may have helped him here.

(Timing driving speed to avoid stopping at traffic lights and keeping an "escape" route open would've definitely helped.)

TWO= Preparation, the car doors should have been "LOCKED"!

He did have a weapon and a means of escape at his disposal. But, failure to plan a prepare lead to BGs selecting him as a victim. I also think having a firearm close at hand may have helped him as well.

There was a concept that was explained, taught, and drilled at Front Sight... Draw and come to the ready with the shouted command "STOP OR I"LL SHOOT!!"... That extra step could make the difference in your defense. The witness that may not have seen all of the events leading up to the shooting, but remembered hearing you shout the above once maybe twice...
It indicates that you gave the assailant the option to stop without being shot. If that action stops the assault, even better...

They also discussed the Color Code of Mental Awareness.

The Color Code of Mental Awareness - All Military

Try to dwell in yellow as often as possible when conscious...

In 1992, I went to Houston for some business at the space center. That's the first time I ever saw a McDonald's with an armed security staff and bars on the windows.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back