Straight Pull or FBI cant

sig_man

Thought I would try to start a discussion on types of holsters. Trying to determine which is best for both IWB and OWB, a straight pull up draw or the standard 15 degree FBI cant. I have both and the each have their advantages and disadvantages. What do you think?

I prefer the straight pull at 2 - 3 o'clock. I preferred the FBI cant when I used to carry concealed at the 4 o'clock position.

I do not like the FBI cant when its at my 3 o'clock and forward. Creates an awkward draw, to much shoulder movement, and I could not repeatedly draw without a snag. Straight pull fixed all that for me.

i don't know i don't have a holster to try it yet but i will read to see what you all use and why
as for now i just pull it out from under the bed if i need to
in the lying position heheh

I have the cant at 3:30 for a 1911. - Crossbreed ST in Horsehide will allow you some flexibility.
What ever works for YOU is going to the be the most important thing. Each pistol and each person may be different. If you watch Baseball or Golf, you will see some weird swings start off at the beginning. But in the end, they all finish in the same position at impact.
I just had to make another sports analogy.
Good Luck in your search. - Many folks have tons of holsters in boxes as they have searched for the perfect one.

I'll show you my "straight pull". ;-)

All kidding aside, holster preferences are about as personal as firearm preferences. As with firearm selection, you should sample a variety of holsters and select the holster(s) that will fit your individual situation and needs.

Different strokes for different folks. There is no wrong answer. Whatever feels best and gets your weapon on target the fastest.

I use Desantis Sof-Tuck for my Colt Gov't .380 and My 1911 .38 super I can adjust the cant to suit my needs. Also I can tuck my shirt in if need to.

Thanks for the good response, and as mentioned I was curious as to what everyone uses or prefers. I too have a drawer full of holsters that I have tried over time and have also found that if I carry past 3:30 I prefer the FBI cant, otherwise it is the straight draw at 3 or before. Same goes when using an OWB holster as well. Based on where I am going always decides which of the three carry weapons I will use and as each has their own IWB and OWB it always comes down to what I wear and what is most comfortable. The only thing that never changes is the backup in the ankle glove that is always there. Thanks again for the good responses.

wow you carry two guns? guess it keeps ya balanced
heheh

I have a friend whose father was a WW II vet. He always said that, "If you have to go to your back up gun, you are probably in more trouble than you were when you started out. You don't need a smaller one, you need a bigger one. Also, you shouldn't try to change operating systems in the middle of a firefight." I thought about that for a long time and I couldn't defeat the logic,So I carry guns in pairs.:secret:

I use Desantis Sof-Tuck for my Colt Gov't .380 and My 1911 .38 super I can adjust the cant to suit my needs. Also I can tuck my shirt in if need to.

That's the neat thing about holsters that can have their cant changed.

Thought I would try to start a discussion on types of holsters. Trying to determine which is best for both IWB and OWB, a straight pull up draw or the standard 15 degree FBI cant. I have both and the each have their advantages and disadvantages. What do you think?

When carrying in the 1,2, or 3 o'clock...I prefer the straight pull. When carrying in the 4-5 o'clock...I prefer a slight cant.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back