Situational Awareness

JJFlash

So, recently I walked into a convenience store late at nite (around 1:00 am) and immediately notice there's no one behind the counter or in the store. I stop walking, sweep my vest aside for easier access to my sidearm, and yell "Hellooooo?". Nothing. At this point, I again carefully sweep the store, peer over the counter (is there somebody laying on the floor?), and take a step or two backwards toward the door as I yell again. This time, a voice answers from the back room and the clerk appears. He explained that he was running water in the back and didn't hear me come in. Everything's cool.

It makes me wonder what someone else would have done and also leads me to ask what kind of situational awareness exercises that others employ. For example, I always visually sweep any establishment I enter; after I enter, I pause and scan all patrons, just to get a feel for who's present. Another thing I always do (say, at a restaurant) is sit with my back in the corner or against the wall so that I know no one is behind me and I can see everyone who enters.

What do you do?

I always trust my instincts. If something doesn't feel right, I walk away. This doesn't happen often, but when it does, I listen. In hindsight, I can usually look back and figure out why, so it is not a psychic thing, just my unconcious mind taking note of things that do not percolate into the conciousness.
How many people do not pay attention, or override their instincts when they are screaming "something's wrong" because we live in a civilized society. I think we would all be safer if we looked at the world as an urban jungle. There is nothing particularly dangerous (almost all of the time) in it, if we pay attention to the hidden predators and normal dangers.

I used to work in the "most" robbed CS in Memphis. So, I just don't go to CS's after dark.

The #1 Rule in SD= AVOIDANCE!

I try my best to avoid high risk places like CS's & Bars.

So if you "had" to go to CS at 1am, then you did what I would have done. "Good Job!"

Assume that the guy was lying and shoot him.:sarcastic: Just kidding. Sounds like you did everything pretty much right. If I had an uneasy feeling about the situation I would have had my hand on my gun. Not drawn just have my had where I could pull it quickly if I needed it. Always remember the color codes. Be in condition yellow never in condition white.

It makes me wonder what someone else would have done and also leads me to ask what kind of situational awareness exercises that others employ. For example, I always visually sweep any establishment I enter; after I enter, I pause and scan all patrons, just to get a feel for who's present. Another thing I always do (say, at a restaurant) is sit with my back in the corner or against the wall so that I know no one is behind me and I can see everyone who enters.

What do you do?

I do the same at a convenient store. when i am in a restaraunt i always make sure i am seated where i can see the the front door and at least one emergency exit. I never sit with my back to anyone!

I have yet to take the time to run it down, but have been told that I am related to Wild Bill. You know that I always sit with my back to the wall and emergency exits in sight.

I have yet to take the time to run it down, but have been told that I am related to Wild Bill. You know that I always sit with my back to the wall and emergency exits in sight.

Be sure and don't hold a hand with Aces and eights.:sarcastic:

I find that I do the same kinds of things. I think I always have at some level.

Get in vehicle, lock doors so unwanted entry is not possible without some effort.

Check home doors and windows before bed, make sure things are closed and locked where easy entry can be made.

Be aware of people walking behind me, how close, how long. Try and change path to get a feel if I'm being followed or just on the same path with someone.

I scan peoples waists to look for possible weapon etc...

Keep my cell phone on the other side away from my "draw area" and carry a small flashlight when I know it's going to be dark and I'll still be out.

Avoid alcohol when carrying and knowing I need to drive etc...

I would have reacted the same way walking into a store or gas station or other place at night and finding the place empty. I used to work at a gas station way back when and would always hang my custom sign on the door handle "Bathroom break be right back", shut down the master switch for the pumps, and lock the door when using the "facilities".

Peace...

Most people probably think I'm a little paranoid. I won't go into a bunch of details but I went through some pretty intense/intensive training 20+ years ago and it's still with me today. What I'm proudest of, though, is the fact that my wife has picked up on some of my sensitivity to things that aren't right over the years. She's very situationally-aware for a "civilian" and is constantly running scenarios through her head. I just don't like the ones she tells me about where I'm dead. :no: :laugh:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back