Signs of the End of the Age & The Last Generation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, most agnostic people are atheist. It's really not much of a stretch to make that assumption for most of them.

An agnostic is one who believes it impossible to know anything about God or about the creation of the universe and refrains from commitment to any religious doctrine. An atheist is one who denies the existence of a deity or of divine beings. Those who embrace that ideology, often embrace:
lex parsimoniae This means 'law of parsimony') It's a problem-solving principle attributed to William of Ockham who was an English Franciscan friar and scholastic philosopher and theologian.
The principle can be interpreted as "Among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected."

Atheists believe there is more empirical evidence to support their beliefs. Beliefs that are often based on the misuses of religion. If they aren't willing to believe in the spiritual realm, they eliminate a portion of the evidence.

However, there is evidence even if they won't accept it.

“For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Claiming to be wise, they became fools,”
**Romans‬ *1:19-22‬ *ESV‬‬

Atheists reject that God created everything. Instead they choose to believe in evolution. The belief that everything was created by nothing or primordial soup. Personally, I think this takes an amazing amount of faith.

I won't take the time to debate that. I do have a friend with a Doctorate in inorganic chemistry (from an Ivy League school) who is a leader in carbon nano research. He could do a much better than I could explaining what's wrong with evolution.

Yes. He is a Christian.

We should all refrain from name calling. Telling someone they are going to hell is inappropriate. However, warning someone they are going to hell is fine if said in conjunction with the Gospel. The (Gospel) good news isn't good news unless the unbeliever knows and understands the bad news. They won't understand the bad news until they realize they are guilty. They won't know they are guilty unless they understand God's law.

Going 55mph on the freeway is normally fine. Coming to understand you just did 55mph in a school zone would concern any driver.

Prayerfully understanding the 10 Commandments and how we've broken them will trouble those open to God. Those who aren't open will go gleefully on there way. Sadly, to their own destruction.

I don't want to post or reply to be clever or right. I try to share truth, because of the consequences to those who have yet to hear and believe.

Here is a test to prayerfully take.

Link Removed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First, prove it.
Second your bible is NOT proof of anything.

We were all born atheists. Take a child born to the most christian parents you can find, raise them as a Muslin or Buddhist, or Wiccan family. Guess what, they will become Muslim, Buddhist or Wiccan in their beliefs.

Almost correct. We are all born sinners. We have to be born again. John 3:3

An agnostic is one who believes it impossible to know anything about God or about the creation of the universe and refrains from commitment to any religious doctrine. An atheist is one who denies the existence of a deity or of divine beings. Those who embrace that ideology, often embrace:
lex parsimoniae This means 'law of parsimony') It's a problem-solving principle attributed to William of Ockham who was an English Franciscan friar and scholastic philosopher and theologian.
The principle can be interpreted as "Among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected."

Atheists believe there is more empirical evidence to support their beliefs. Beliefs that are often based on the misuses of religion. If they aren't willing to believe in the spiritual realm, they eliminate a portion of the evidence.

However, there is evidence even if they won't accept it.

“For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Claiming to be wise, they became fools,”
**Romans‬ *1:19-22‬ *ESV‬‬

Atheists reject that God created everything. Instead they choose to believe in evolution. The belief that everything was created by nothing or primordial soup. Personally, I think this takes an amazing amount of faith.

I won't take the time to debate that. I do have a friend with a Doctorate in inorganic chemistry (from an Ivy League school) who is a leader in carbon nano research. He could do a much better than I could explaining what's wrong with evolution.

Yes. He is a Christian.

We should all refrain from name calling. Telling someone they are going to hell is inappropriate. However, warning someone they are going to hell is fine if said in conjunction with the Gospel. The (Gospel) good news isn't good news unless the unbeliever knows and understands the bad news. They won't understand the bad news until they realize they are guilty. They won't know they are guilty unless they understand God's law.

Going 55mph on the freeway is normally fine. Coming to understand you just did 55mph in a school zone would concern any driver.

Prayerfully understanding the 10 Commandments and how we've broken them will trouble those open to God. Those who aren't open will go gleefully on there way. Sadly, to their own destruction.

I don't want to post or reply to be clever or right. I try to share truth, because of the consequences to those who have yet to hear and believe.

Here is a test to prayerfully take.

Link Removed

Not all atheists hold the beliefs that you have assigned to them, or deny what you have accused them of denying.

I am an atheist. This label applies to me simply because I am not a theist. It is not necessary that I declare that no gods exist, or to believe that no gods exist, in order for me to not be a theist. I am more than willing to believe in a "spiritual realm." If I were to see evidence of such a realm I would believe. That has nothing to do with the fact that I am atheistic.

I also do not believe that we are currently capable of knowing whether or not any god exists. Thus, I am agnostic.

Almost correct. We are all born sinners. We have to be born again. John 3:3

Nope, that wiggling pink baby taking their first breath and protest beinging ejected from the womb. Sorry, but I find it sick, very sick to look at a baby and see a sinner.

Excuse me for getting it right the first time.

You probably have heard of King Henry The 8th, George Washington, Davy Crockett, and Thomas Jefferson. Yet there is no one alive today that was alive when they were. But these are historical people. Jesus Christ was also alive and is a well documented historical person. He is not only found in the Bible, Koran, but archailogic findings.
So why is it we are so quick to accept King Henry the 8th, George Washington, Davy Crockett, or Thomas Jefferson, but not the historic Jesus Christ.
The answer is he is a religious figure, and many people are terrified of religion.

There is no " law of abiogenesis." Abiogenesis is the natural process of life arising from non-living matter. Even if there were such a "law" it would make no sense for the "law of abiogenesis" to be "there is no abiogenesis."

We can certainly agree discussion of topics as interesting as the origins of life and of our universe are not helped, in any way, by the childish insults, name-calling, and "you're going to hell"s that are all-too-common here.

All that said, please try to stick to the facts. Your claim that "nothing matters" because I don't believe in your god is simply incorrect. I have not accused you of believing something which you do not, I only request that you show me the same respect.

OK. "law" is a misnomer. However, "biogenesis" was said to be generation of a life form from nonliving materials. Thomas Henry Huxley chose the term "abiogenesis" for life arising from preexisting life and called it "abiogenesis." There is a difference and I do believe life begins only from life.

Using the term, "nothing matters" because you don't believe in God is not necessarily incorrect. One who does not believe in God feels no necessity to observe God's laws, and, as has been expressed on here many times, object to Biblical laws being involved in secular laws. Regardless of one's thoughts, following Biblical laws isn't necessarily bad and has been followed for many years. The angst against Biblical law of late is from those who choose to violate those laws for more carnal reasons. The gay lifestyle, same sex marriages, and abortions are classic examples of the war on Biblical laws and indicative of how far those following them have fallen in a heretofore "civilized" society. Those who believe in God take exception to the insidious violation of our moral laws and the deliberate effort to make them seem harmless while, in actuality, they are having a very detrimental effect on society. Those who choose to ignore what is happening are insuring that things will get much worse.

My "facts" can be derived from the condition of the world right now. The only solution I can find to what ails us is to bring back knowledge of God in our homes. If you choose not to believe in God, then what are you using as a yardstick to determine your own values and those of society? If all who don't believe in God do their own thing, where is your society? Something to think about...very seriously.

Not all atheists hold the beliefs that you have assigned to them, or deny what you have accused them of denying.

I am an atheist. This label applies to me simply because I am not a theist. It is not necessary that I declare that no gods exist, or to believe that no gods exist, in order for me to not be a theist. I am more than willing to believe in a "spiritual realm." If I were to see evidence of such a realm I would believe. That has nothing to do with the fact that I am atheistic.

I also do not believe that we are currently capable of knowing whether or not any god exists. Thus, I am agnostic.

Sounds like you are an honest agnostic. The definition for atheists was a general one and pretty common. It was not meant to be derogatory or comprehensive.

You probably have heard of King Henry The 8th, George Washington, Davy Crockett, and Thomas Jefferson. Yet there is no one alive today that was alive when they were. But these are historical people. Jesus Christ was also alive and is a well documented historical person. He is not only found in the Bible, Koran, but archailogic findings.
So why is it we are so quick to accept King Henry the 8th, George Washington, Davy Crockett, or Thomas Jefferson, but not the historic Jesus Christ.
The answer is he is a religious figure, and many people are terrified of religion.

And the accounts of their activities were documented as they happened, not written down decades later.

But follow the logic

• The simplest argument seems to be that a real man called Jesus. But not the biological off spring of a god (remember that requires sperm)
  • The man called Jesus was an influential rabbi who had a following.
  • The stories were passed from person to person orally for decades, eventually touching thousands or tens of thousands of people.
  • The stories were corrupted as they went. Some of this might have been inadvertent, but some were deliberate. Embellishments were added to improve the story.
  • Christianity relied initially on oral history. After decades, when it became clear that the imminent second coming wasn’t coming, and religion settled in for the long haul, and the stories were written down.

Yes I do fear religion, for the followers of religion are the ones that are the greatest threat to life, liberty, and mankind's future. No greater truth that if you can make people believe in absurdities, you can make them commit atrocities, as demonstrated in recent atrocities in Paris and Colorado.

Nope, that wiggling pink baby taking their first breath and protest beinging ejected from the womb. Sorry, but I find it sick, very sick to look at a baby and see a sinner.

Excuse me for getting it right the first time.

Fair enough. I look at babies and feel love. I see God's handy work. I do realize, in time, that baby will grow up to sin. Everyone does. It's part of our fallen nature. You'll notice you never have to teach a toddler to be selfish. "Mine!" We just process information differently. We have different world views.

I am an atheist.I am more than willing to believe in a "spiritual realm." If I were to see evidence of such a realm I would believe.
God uses prophecy (evidence) to prove He is who He says He is, and to authenticate ALL the warnings and the promises found in the Bible.

The ultimate ignorance is the rejection of something one knows nothing about, yet refuse to investigate. These people who refuse to investigate don't really want to know the truth because they don't want their illusion destroyed.

Fair enough. I look at babies and feel love. I see God's handy work. I do realize, in time, that baby will grow up to sin. Everyone does. It's part of our fallen nature. You'll notice you never have to teach a toddler to be selfish. "Mine!" We just process information differently. We have different world views.

Define what you call "sin"

A toddler saying 'mine' is NOT by any stretch of the imagination a sin, and perhaps it is actually theirs.

My "facts" can be derived from the condition of the world right now. The only solution I can find to what ails us is to bring back knowledge of God in our homes. If you choose not to believe in God, then what are you using as a yardstick to determine your own values and those of society? If all who don't believe in God do their own thing, where is your society? Something to think about...very seriously.

So ISIS and all the hate festering in the Middle East that is threatening us will simply go away if "the knowledge of god is in your homes"? Explain please.....

And the accounts of their activities were documented as they happened, not written down decades later.

But follow the logic

• The simplest argument seems to be that a real man called Jesus. But not the biological off spring of a god (remember that requires sperm)
  • The man called Jesus was an influential rabbi who had a following.
  • The stories were passed from person to person orally for decades, eventually touching thousands or tens of thousands of people.
  • The stories were corrupted as they went. Some of this might have been inadvertent, but some were deliberate. Embellishments were added to improve the story.
  • Christianity relied initially on oral history. After decades, when it became clear that the imminent second coming wasn’t coming, and religion settled in for the long haul, and the stories were written down.

Yes I do fear religion, for the followers of religion are the ones that are the greatest threat to life, liberty, and mankind's future. No greater truth that if you can make people believe in absurdities, you can make them commit atrocities, as demonstrated in recent atrocities in Paris and Colorado.

Link Removed

Define what you call "sin"

A toddler saying 'mine' is NOT by any stretch of the imagination a sin, and perhaps it is actually theirs.

I wouldn't get hung up on my example. I thought you could read into where I was coming from with it. I was trying to keep it short. I'm trying to hang out with my family so I'm going to give this definition from a trusted source. A link to the rest of the article is at the bottom for those interested. Take care!

A Definition of Sin

So my definition of sinning is: Sinning is any feeling or thought or speech or action that comes from a heart that does not treasure God over all other things. And the bottom of sin, the root of all sinning, is such a heart — a heart that prefers anything above God, a heart that does not treasure God over all other person and all other things. Or, as I once tried to express it in a message years ago. What is sin? Sin is:

The glory of God not honored.
The holiness of God not reverenced.
The greatness of God not admired.
The power of God not praised.
The truth of God not sought.
The wisdom of God not esteemed.
The beauty of God not treasured.
The goodness of God not savored.
The faithfulness of God not trusted.
The promises of God not believed.
The commandments of God not obeyed.
The justice of God not respected.
The wrath of God not feared.
The grace of God not cherished.
The presence of God not prized.
The person of God not loved.
Why is it that people can become emotionally and morally indignant over poverty and exploitation and prejudice and abortion and the infractions of religious liberty and the manifold injustices of man against man, and yet feel little, or no, remorse or indignation or outrage that God is disregarded, disbelieved, disobeyed, dishonored, and thus belittled, by millions and millions of people in the world? And the answer is: sin. And that is the ultimate outrage of the universe.

What Is Sin? The Essence and Root of All Sinning | Desiring God

. However, "biogenesis" was said to be generation of a life form from nonliving materials. Thomas Henry Huxley chose the term "abiogenesis" for life arising from preexisting life and called it "abiogenesis."

Biogenesis is the generation of life from preexisting living organisms, not abiogenesis.

Using the term, "nothing matters" because you don't believe in God is not necessarily incorrect. One who does not believe in God feels no necessity to observe God's laws, and, as has been expressed on here many times, object to Biblical laws being involved in secular laws. Regardless of one's thoughts, following Biblical laws isn't necessarily bad and has been followed for many years. The angst against Biblical law of late is from those who choose to violate those laws for more carnal reasons. The gay lifestyle, same sex marriages, and abortions are classic examples of the war on Biblical laws and indicative of how far those following them have fallen in a heretofore "civilized" society. Those who believe in God take exception to the insidious violation of our moral laws and the deliberate effort to make them seem harmless while, in actuality, they are having a very detrimental effect on society. Those who choose to ignore what is happening are insuring that things will get much worse..

Wrong. To say that "nothing matters" to me because I don't believe in your god is simply incorrect, and bordering on insulting. There are things that do matter to me. Please recognize that I need not believe in your god for things to matter to me.

I've not accused you of holding or not holding any particular belief, I've taken you at your word like a man. Please show me the same respect I've shown you.

If you choose not to believe in God, then what are you using as a yardstick to determine your own values and those of society?

What I have observed or studied as being detrimental and beneficial to society, myself, and other individuals.

Sounds like you are an honest agnostic. The definition for atheists was a general one and pretty common. It was not meant to be derogatory or comprehensive.

Then you must recognize that using such a specific and nit-picked definition of atheist would be like someone coming on here and defining "thiest" (a group which includes Christians) in a manner like "theists believe that Allah brought Mohammad up to heaven as his final prophet." That definition may apply to some theists, but not all.

Painting so many people with such broad strokes really isn't beneficial to the discussion or entirely honest.

But no offense taken, and I mean none to you.

What is sin? Sin is:

The glory of God not honored. <-------Since I do not believe in any god, totally meaningless
The holiness of God not reverenced. <-------Since I do not believe in any god, totally meaningless
The greatness of God not admired. <-------Since I do not believe in any god, totally meaningless
The power of God not praised. <-------Since I do not believe in any god, totally meaningless
The truth of God not sought. <-------Since I do not believe in any god, totally meaningless
The wisdom of God not esteemed. <-------Since I do not believe in any god, totally meaningless
The beauty of God not treasured. <-------Since I do not believe in any god, totally meaningless
The goodness of God not savored. <-------Since I do not believe in any god, totally meaningless
The faithfulness of God not trusted. <-------Since I do not believe in any god, totally meaningless
The promises of God not believed. <-------Since I do not believe in any god, totally meaningless

The justice of God not respected. <-------Since I do not believe in any god, totally meaningless
The wrath of God not feared. <-------Since I do not believe in any god, totally meaningless
The grace of God not cherished. <-------Since I do not believe in any god, totally meaningless
The presence of God not prized. <-------Since I do not believe in any god, totally meaningless
The person of God not loved. <-------Since I do not believe in any god, totally meaningless

It should also be noted that none of these have anything to do with how a christian treats their fellow man.
I've pulled one out of your list as explained below.
Now to your "commandments"

1. You shall have no other gods before Me.<-------Since I do not believe in any god, totally meaningless
  2. You shall not make idols.<-------Since I do not believe in any god, totally meaningless
  3. You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.<-------Since I do not believe in any god, totally meaningless
  4. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.<-------Since I do not believe in any god, totally meaningless
  5. Honor your father and your mother. Would that mean that abusive parents must be honored?
  6. You shall not murder. <------ My personal morality has this completely under control
  7. You shall not commit adultery. <------ My personal morality has this completely under control
  8. You shall not steal. <------ My personal morality has this completely under control
  9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor. <------ My personal morality has this completely under control
  10. You shall not covet. (covet; <covet <em="">verb - yearn to possess or have (something)). Really? I don't know where to start but it sounds like things people pray for, be it material things, or health, happiness, time with family, etc., etc.</covet>

So my definition of sinning is: Sinning is any feeling or thought or speech or action that comes from a heart that does not treasure God over all other things. And the bottom of sin, the root of all sinning, is such a heart — a heart that prefers anything above God, a heart that does not treasure God over all other person and all other things. Or, as I once tried to express it in a message years ago.
I also can't help but note that your own explanation (vs the likely copy/paste list) there is absolutely no mention of how you one should treat their fellow man.

A Definition of Sin

So my definition of sinning is: Sinning is any feeling or thought or speech or action that comes from a heart that does not treasure God over all other things. And the bottom of sin, the root of all sinning, is such a heart — a heart that prefers anything above God, a heart that does not treasure God over all other person and all other things. Or, as I once tried to express it in a message years ago. What is sin? Sin is:

The glory of God not honored.
The holiness of God not reverenced.
The greatness of God not admired.
The power of God not praised.
The truth of God not sought.
The wisdom of God not esteemed.
The beauty of God not treasured.
The goodness of God not savored.
The faithfulness of God not trusted.
The promises of God not believed.
The commandments of God not obeyed.
The justice of God not respected.
The wrath of God not feared.
The grace of God not cherished.
The presence of God not prized.
The person of God not loved.
At least the 10 commandments had a few good ones in it.... Not to kill, Not to steal. This list here is pretty retarded. Let's throw random things on the list for the sake of making it longer, with no actual sins included. If not believing in God is a sin then they all should be rolled up into that as a single sin.
Why is it that people can become emotionally and morally indignant over poverty and exploitation and prejudice and abortion and the infractions of religious liberty and the manifold injustices of man against man, and yet feel little, or no, remorse or indignation or outrage that God is disregarded, disbelieved, disobeyed, dishonored, and thus belittled, by millions and millions of people in the world?
I'm not sure why that one even needs asked. God doesn't really help us when it comes to poverty or liberty. We're left to our own devices to get through this life. When bad things happen we get mad about it. Dishonoring god doesn't really affect anything. The same way honoring god doesn't help us either. I take that back the placebo affect does make you think it helps. I suppose that is something.
And the answer is: sin. And that is the ultimate outrage of the universe.
If the universe could be outraged, which is a dumb statement in and of itself, none of the things you listed would make the cut. I think the Death Star blowing up Alderaan is more along the lines of what would make it mad.

If the universe could be outraged, which is a dumb statement in and of itself, none of the things you listed would make the cut. I think the Death Star blowing up Alderaan is more along the lines of what would make it mad.

Or causing a flood killing 99.999% of all life on a planet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back