Should people be required to know concealed carry laws before getting a permit?

nogods

What do think? Should a person who gets a concealed carry permit be expected to know the laws applicable to possession of a concealed carry weapon?

And if caught intentionally breaking a concealed carry law, what should be the punishment?

And by intentional, we simply mean they were knowingly carrying the weapon. It isn't necessary that they not know the law because lack of knowledge of the law can't be allowed as an excuse, otherwise every law breaker would just "you mean that's illegal? I didn't know that!"

Should they be expected to know the laws concerning CC? Absolutely they should. Anyone planning on carrying who does not take the time to learn the applicable laws of their state is not taking responsibility for their actions.

Sent from my bunker: "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are... I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
~President Ronald Reagan~

I'm of the opinion any legal adult should be able to walk in a store pick out a handgun and carry it however they like!

Sent from my  6+

I'm of the opinion any legal adult should be able to walk in a store pick out a handgun and carry it however they like!

Sent from my  6+

If people don't have to pay for handguns they pick out in stores, how does the handgun store stay in business?

Oh wait, I'll bet you think laws requiring people to pay for a handgun are OK.

How about someone who doesn't think laws requiring that a person pay for a handgun are valid - should they be allowed to just pick out a handgun and walk out with it without any consequences?

Can't everyone be a law unto themselves? Just do whatever they think is right?

and what is a "legal adult"? Who gets to make that definition? For that matter, what is an "adult"? 21? 18? 16? 14? 12? and who makes that decision.

Damn those founders of our country - they should have realized that organizing people into a country was going to create problems for the "I am a law unto myself" people.

What do think? Should a person who gets a concealed carry permit be expected to know the laws applicable to possession of a concealed carry weapon?

Expected - yes. Required - NO!

And if caught intentionally breaking a concealed carry law, what should be the punishment?

None. Since every concealed carry law - except committing an otherwise criminal act using the gun - is an infringement on the 2nd Amendment. It should be enough to make it illegal to commit robbery, rape, murder, etc. It should never be illegal to simply carry a gun.

Interesting that the OP Title asks if people should know the law before getting a permit as opposed to once they have a permit and are carrying.

In an ideal world, we should be free to do what we want and not worry about laws, but in the real world in which we live, I'd say it's a good idea to know the laws that pertain to what we do - whether it's carrying a gun or driving a car. Because government can and does throw people jail or fine us alot of money if we don't obey their laws.

When I was looking into getting a license to carry, the procedure to get the license was on the same few pages of Indiana code as gun laws. So, I read all of it when I was finding out how to go about getting my license. I was actually surprised how easy it is to get a permit in my state and to learn that my state is much more gun friendly than many others.

Interesting that the OP Title asks if people should know the law before getting a permit as opposed to once they have a permit and are carrying.

Uh...how long after getting a permit and carrying should we give people before they are required to know the laws with regard to carrying under their permit? One day? One year? Five years?

If we are going to impose laws on concealed carry that restrict it to people with a permit, don't you think it makes sense to require that they know the law before we let them have a permit?

Or do we send around a CC permit examiner a few days, or months or years (or whatever you think the proper after-permit time period should be) after they get their permit and weapon to see if they learnt the law they are suppose to know?

None. Since every concealed carry law - except committing an otherwise criminal act using the gun - is an infringement on the 2nd Amendment. It should be enough to make it illegal to commit robbery, rape, murder, etc. It should never be illegal to simply carry a gun.

Only in your imagination.

What you probably meant to say is that you wished it was that way...but my question was directed at reality as it presently exists.

Then why would you even expect that they know even the basic gun safety rules?

I don't know the background of the mental midget that wanted to guard a military recruiting facility, but managed to shoot a hole in the parking lot because he couldn't/wouldn't keep his booger hook off the bang switch.

before getting a permit
Uh...how long after getting a permit and carrying
It's just semantics, but 'before getting a permit' can mean that a person never gets a permit or gets one years later, while 'after getting a permit' means the person already has a permit. Also, some people have permits and never carry from what I hear. And in Indiana they have 2 kinds of permits - 1 for carrying to the range and for hunting which is #$5 for 4 years, another for carrying for self defense that is $50 for 4 years.

At any rate, I understood the spirit of the OP and answered that a person who has a permit and carries should know the laws to avoid getting fined or thrown in jail.

Miranda v. Arizona, 384 US 436

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be NO
rule making or legislation which
would abrogate them.

1b97e452ab187703e1c0735d944de5bd.jpg

And by intentional, we simply mean they were knowingly carrying the weapon. It isn't necessary that they not know the law because lack of knowledge of the law can't be allowed as an excuse, otherwise every law breaker would just "you mean that's illegal? I didn't know that!"
Permits are for useing a public resource, where using to much will infring on another's equal share of said resource.

Your carrying a gun doesn't consume any public resource for your carrying to then need be regulated by a permit.

Therefore my answer to you is no, you should not need to know any laws before getting a carry permit since there shouldn't be carry permits at all in the first place.

I see the word permit used a lot. ". . . the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." I do not see the word permit in that text.

Agreed, but for the present, we do have restrictions and laws. Anyone unwilling to learn and obey these laws must be willing to accept the consequences. Like I always told my kids, you can do absolutely anything in life, as long as you are willing to accept the consequences.

Sent from my bunker: "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are... I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

I don't think we need to test everyone, although that would be easy enough in the course of the permit process by simply giving a person a yes or no multiple choice list of relevant questions along with an answer key so they can self-correct their answers and learn the correct ones before receiving a permit.

But even in states that's don't want to be bothered with any additional paperwork, i think it is entirely reasonable for society to expect people to be responsible enough to familiarize themselves with the laws applicable to whatever they may be purchasing - be it a car or firerarm. I think we the people have every right to expect a person to know they can't drive while intoxicated before they get behind a wheel rather than waiting until after they get stopped to learn that their behavior is prohibited.

I don't think many would have much sympathy for a 16-year old driver pulled over for a traffic violation who tells the cop he was in a rush to get home to drink some of the vodka he just bought.

Agreed, but for the present, we do have restrictions and laws. Anyone unwilling to learn and obey these laws must be willing to accept the consequences. Like I always told my kids, you can do absolutely anything in life, as long as you are willing to accept the consequences.

Permit classes aren't the only way people learn things. Back in my day most teens aproaching adulthood were nearing the end of, but still attending, "school".

"School" was a place that offered all kinds of classes. I'm sure a 1-2 day unit on carry laws could've fit in there somewhere, after all they squeezed in a unit on driver's ed even if you weren't persuing a drivers license.

Back in my day it was common to see deer rifles or shotguns in the gun racks of pickups in the HS parking lot. My HS even had gunsmithing as one of the shop classes available. Benny, the shop teacher, was pretty knowledgeable. Took my Arisaka 6.5 x 50 mm in several times to tighten it up and adjust the trigger weight. No-one saw anything unusual about someone walking in to the school in the morning carrying a gun. Amazingly enough, those "evil guns" never jumped up and attacked anyone. (Must have been defective!)

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back