Shooting in the Barn

Mountaingoat61

So a friend, my 2 teenage kids, and I were target shooting in my barn last night, something I've done for over a month now with my .40 S&W and 22's without any problems. (We're on 5 acres but housing developments have popped up everywhere around us.) Well, last night we had my buddy's AR-15 .223 and went through a couple 28-shot mags. Another friend from a couple blocks distance away called me on my cell and asked what we were shooting. I told him and he chuckled, said it didn't bother him but that I might want to know it was "pretty audible." I told him thanks and we switched to a 9mm pistol. A couple minutes later, there was a bang on the barn wall and the city LEO's identified themselves, saying to come out with our hands where they could see them. I opened the door and complied, explaining that we were actually in county, not city and that I had confirmed with the sheriff's dept that this was legal. He understood but said since the noise complaints were coming from within city limits, they were the ones investigating. The LEO's were cordial enough and were just following up on the noise complaints. I told them him that we usually didn't shoot the .223 and hadn't had any complaints before. He said well, it's kinda late, to which I pointed out it was only 7:20 but that we'd shut it down for the night. That was that. After they left, my friend and kids and I had a good chuckle. All in good fun and scaring the hell outta the neighborhood. Hey, this IS north Idaho. :) Oh, and by the way, my 15 yr old daughter and 17yr old son now both want AR-15's. Rock on!!

Sounds to me like the LEO was real cool about the whole thing.

Even though our range is in a "Rural" area, we have a rule about "not" shooting after dusk. I think it just shows respect for nearby neighbors who might not enjoy gunfire as much as we do.

When you move to the country (and stay long enough)...before you know it... you're in the city again! :sarcastic:

Let me understand this. You are shooting in a barn to the point where neighboring houses can complain to the city police. You have switched from handguns to an AR15. You do not even mention the possibility of a berm or some other reliable method of bullet capture. And you now are complaining because people moved in nearby and the whole thing is a good "chuckle". You're nuts. No sense in answering, I have no interest in reading this thread or any messages on this post in the future.

Let me understand this. You are shooting in a barn to the point where neighboring houses can complain to the city police. You have switched from handguns to an AR15. You do not even mention the possibility of a berm or some other reliable method of bullet capture. And you now are complaining because people moved in nearby and the whole thing is a good "chuckle". You're nuts. No sense in answering, I have no interest in reading this thread or any messages on this post in the future.

Funny ... I kind of thought the same thing.

Thank the Good Lord I live out in the boonies. Still hunt out the back door,shoot in the pasture and my "neighbors" dont complain.

Thank the Good Lord I live out in the boonies. Still hunt out the back door,shoot in the pasture and my "neighbors" dont complain.
That's what we used to say... So many of the old family farms have been sub divided and are now the transplanted city folk are complaining about the smell from the one farm that is left... I'm going to have to move further out to the northwest... :whine:

Seems to me if the city folk didnt like the smell they shouldve stayed their happy A$$ in town. I have good neighbors,and its kind of a subdivision out here too,we just live on 100 to 400 acre lots. Thats the way I like it. Instead of those half acre postage stamps. And they think theyre living it up out in the "country" when they move out there.

Well kelcarry said he isn't coming back but I'll respond anyway. Yes I have an effective bullet trap. I'm may be nuts but I'm not stupid.:) And no where did I complain. I was just sharing the experience. I've been on my property longer than most of the houses that were within earshot and I checked with the sheriff to make sure what I was doing was legal before ever firing a shot. My property is within county but not city limits even though the new subdivisions around me have been annexed into the city. The main complaint was the noise. The cops were fine with us shooting, just asked us not to do it so "late". (7pm)

Funny, THEY don't like the noise but THEY don't want us to have suppressors either. Seems like THEY just don't want us to shoot, huh?

That's a whole lot of ASSuming, Kel.

Hey islander: You are absolutely correct. I do not know the thread issuer, I was not at his barn, and I did not witness his actions---I did, however, find his words to be contrary to what a responsible person would consider appropriate (a nice way to say it) fire control. I do not live in the country surrounded by nothing but virgin acres so yes I can agree with you. It should be pointed out, though, that you are also making ASSumptions, so I guess we both have our pants down, Guess it takes one to know one. Since when do you have a dog in this fight anyway?

Hey islander: You are absolutely correct. I do not know the thread issuer, I was not at his barn, and I did not witness his actions---I did, however, find his words to be contrary to what a responsible person would consider appropriate (a nice way to say it) fire control. I do not live in the country surrounded by nothing but virgin acres so yes I can agree with you. It should be pointed out, though, that you are also making ASSumptions, so I guess we both have our pants down, Guess it takes one to know one. Since when do you have a dog in this fight anyway?

We vicariously have a dog in every fight when reading these emails. What moved me to action was this statement from you:

"You're nuts. No sense in answering, I have no interest in reading this thread or any messages on this post in the future."

You called the guy crazy, then retreated, unwilling to discuss it further. A drive-by post like that is really bad form. If you are going to slam someone based on assumptions, I think you should be ready to discuss it with them.

We vicariously have a dog in every fight when reading these emails. What moved me to action was this statement from you:

"You're nuts. No sense in answering, I have no interest in reading this thread or any messages on this post in the future."

You called the guy crazy, then retreated, unwilling to discuss it further. A drive-by post like that is really bad form. If you are going to slam someone based on assumptions, I think you should be ready to discuss it with them.
+1:biggrin:

At one time I lived on some acreage in the middle of an incorporated city. Because the acreage was not "incorporated" into the city, technically it was under the jurisdiction of the county gestapo. However, because it was in the sphere of influence of the city, the police "governed us" also and responded to calls just about as often as the deputies. We never had anyone come out on noise complaints as we never had a barn and the only thing I ever shot at was once at a coyote. Rock on with the AR. I think I'll take mine out to the range soon. It's been too long! I can hear it calling...:biggrin:

I didn't take any offense at being called nuts, I've been called worse and still laughed it off. I knew kelcarry was making some assumptions and I probably wasn't clear on the situation in the beginning. As I mentioned in the original post, my 2 teenage kids were shooting, as well as a good friend. My family is first and foremost in my life and I would NEVER put my kids at risk. Thus, the reason why I've been teaching them how to shoot. The friend who was over has been an avid gun enthusiast for many years including being a CCW holder for 15 years. What we were doing was safe and responsible, just a bit louder than the nearest neighbors (300 yards away) cared for. Anyways, the idea behind of the post was to share the experience, not to start a fight. I enjoy this forum and have learned a lot. But let's not get so serious... "can't we all just get along?" :girl_wink:

Hey Mountaingoat61 - Didn't you post something a while back about building a range in your barn? I guess you got it finished. I've had a run-in with the SD here. My nearest neighbor, who is about 1/2 mile down the road, has complained about my shooting before. A deputy came to my house, saw the distance, laughed, told me to only do it in the daylight, and asked if he could come out and shoot sometime. Some people are just crazy.

Ga9mm, I haven't built what I am planning yet but I do have a temporary solution. What I want to do will be somewhat expensive (but worth it :) ) but will resolve the noise issue. Until then, no rifles and only daytime shooting. What I have now is good for 25' or so. Have to go to a range for greater distance shooting for now.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back